Understanding Unfulfilled Prophecy

2 Peter 1:21 “For prophecy never has its origin in human will, but prophets, through though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit”.

So I am kind of stumped at the moment. There is definitely fulfilled prophecy in the Bible, but there are also a few unfulfilled prophecies. Now, some of these can easily be put in a section that will be fulfilled later, but what about ones about the Messiah that weren’t fulfilled? Does this mean God is a liar, or that Peter is wrong? It is also said in Deuteronomy that God tests Israel with prophecies (Duet 18:21-22), so could some OT writers have stuck in their own prophecies without His authority, and if so, would that violate Timothy 3:16-17?

It all depends on what Peter meant by prophecy.

I am not aware of any fulfilled foretelling in the Bible.

Which ones about the messiah do you believe did not happen?

There is a wide range of opinions in here on this also.

I think that for many Christians alive right now books and series like “ Left Behind” has really shaped what prophecy is and what was supposed to happen.

Lots of Christians have also never read the old testament even once let alone went through studies on it. Many often believe that other than revelation most prophecies were meant to be interpreted as very literally. Even with revelation those who view it as full of symbolism still tries to tie everything with something literal.

In the New Testament writings we see Paul often making a theological truth by hyperlinking his message back to a Old Testament writing and he will purposely misquote it or pull it out of context and call it a prophecy.

So it would depend on the specific prophecy in mind in order to discuss it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.