The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
If we assume that Genesis 1 was written by Moses and he received a revelation from God during his 40 days in mt Sinai and if we assume that Genesis 1 is what Moses was seeing in that revelation, we can check whether Genesis 1 and science of early earth are actually compatible. I must confess that i am not a scientist though I enjoy reading about science so I need input from the “know how” people about this.
In Genesis 1:2, the revelation was centered on earth. It was covered with water, and it was dark.
So, I assume that this is a stage where
- the universe was about 9-10 billion years old already
- galaxies had formed. The solar system was in place already
- sun and all other planets had formed already though it was invisible for the reason that would follow.
- was earth covered with water in the early period?
- was the atmosphere covered with Co2 such as no light from sun or star can penetrate the surface hence the darkness?