U.N. panel paints grim future for humanity without drastic action to combat climate change

U.N. panel paints grim future for humanity without drastic action to combat climate change

Quite a sobering video from PBS. It’s about 8 1/2 minutes long.

(Are we in the last days? Is the world about to end? I don’t think so. But it might be the end of seasonable weather and good harvests if we aren’t careful. Something to think about.)

1 Like

“According to the U.N. World Meteorological Organization, there has been no recorded global warming for more than a decade, or one-third of the span since the global cooling scare.” George Will

Just trying to warm up the debate

This response was made to his column: George Will Uses Washington Post Column to Lie about Global Warming
Of course, his writing is on the op-ed section, and you know what they say about opinions.

1 Like

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that. :grinning:

Don’t worry, it won’t be a grim future for any of us. Apart from watching how grim it is for the poor on TV, the bottom billions.

From a N. European perspective:

‘So, as China contributes more GHG than the rest of the world put together, and talks insouciantly about net zero by 2060, India doesn’t talk about it at all and nobody thinks to wonder what Nigeria will be doing and Germany’s renewables are failing quite spectacularly, it’s at least 2 degrees. So, net zero for the world by 2100. 4 degrees. A metre on sea level. Call it three[, no four]. Even if it goes lower [than net zero] there will be no cooling for centuries. 2400. In England we’ll be able to cover the Yorkshire-Essex and Somerset seas with windmills, that’ll help [similarly the Texas-North Carolina sea]. Shipbuilding will boom. Oh bugger! More coal for steel. Don’t worry, it’ll be warm and wet enough for rice everywhere in northern Europe[ and America].’

‘If the Gulf Stream weakens, then there will be less rainfall than currently’

‘Oh aye… we’ll have the same climate as Newfoundland. But that will be 4 degrees warmer. They say we’ll be warmer, windier, wetter until then. A few decades. We’ll have to genetically engineer rice and mangrove for the cold sea swamps. It’s going to be a gay old time isn’t it? China’s population crashing, black Africa’s exploding. The Gulf Stream on/off/on/off until the oceans are all thoroughly mixed, what with the Arctic free of ice. Oooh, and Antarctica will be colonizable! It’s got fabulous coal reserves… Wembley’ll [the home of English football] be all right though. For a Taliban camp.’

People are already suffering from climate change, and not just the poor. Of course, the poor will suffer disproportionately. And climate change will make more people poor.

2 Likes

Perhaps, but:

Uh huh.

3 Likes

I think I commented in the “Is This The End?” thread that I believe the earth is on fire. I have sensed something wrong/changing regarding our weather/climate for decades. We used to ice skate at our local park all winter. The fire department flooded it with over a foot of water and it didn’t thaw out until the spring. They haven’t been able to do that now for many years. It was a highlight for the kids in the community. Not any more. To me, it is impossible to add billions and billions and billions of tons of pollutants into our thin envelope of atmosphere w/o damaging it significantly. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3 Likes

There are unstoppable and irreversible positive feedback loops that have been started, too. Two that I can think of offhand are thawing tundra releasing CO and methane, and thawing under glaciers and ice sheets, lubricating them to slide down mountains and into the sea faster. Burning forests could probably classify, as well.

3 Likes

Did you READ the whole report or just rely on the “filtering” done by NPR. READ the report before commenting on someone else’s comments…including George Will.

My father-in-law often talks about how much snow we used to get in the northeast – tales of jumping off a shed roof into the snowdrifts because they were that high. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it that high… the past few years we’ve had a lot more ice or wintry mix storms than plain snow, and the weather forecast models are having a harder time predicting what it’s going to do.

3 Likes

The extreme events we’re been having are certainly something to be scared of…more brutal hurricanes, a longer and more deadly fire season, etc.

Meanwhile…

1 Like

Terrible! 

It all sounds apocalyptic to me (but I’m not assigning an overall time frame).

A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

Revelation 8:7

Just looked outside. Not on fire.

It is worth noting that there were periods in Earth’s history when it was way hotter than it is now, or will be in the next 200 years even with humans chucking gigatons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Climate change will certainly pose serious problems for human society, but for the Earth its really not a problem. The Earth is always changing.

Also, there used to be a 2 mile thick glacier over most of the northern US, and now there isn’t.

1 Like

Looking at these verses in context:

And the seven angels with the seven trumpets prepared to sound them. 7Then the first angel sounded his trumpet, and hail and fire mixed with blood were hurled down upon the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, along with a third of the trees and all the green grass. 8Then the second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned to blood,…

I don’t see the rest of this stuff mentioned going on…angels with trumpets, hail and fire mixed with blood, etc. What we do see is the ocean filling with plastic.

Right. That’s why I said

Time lapse between events is certainly not specified, and there is just a little bit of figurative language in the book, too, so it’s not something that can be nailed down.

1 Like

Siberian wildfires dwarf all others on Earth combined

smk (2)

The U.S space agency published a photograph Saturday (Aug. 7) from one of its satellites that shows the acrid blanket of smoke stretching more than 3,000 miles (4,800 kilometers), from the Yakutia region in the northeast of Siberia up to the North Pole. According to their records, this may be the first time this has ever happened.

I think He paints a picture.

See this? “Out of his inner most being shall flow rivers of living water” Jesus. Turns out He was talking about the Holy Spirit living in and overflowing in the human beings who love him.

Things are just beginning to warm up. There’s no relief in sight. The globe is on fire.