Two questions about how central the question of origins is to your core beliefs

It’s sometimes dizzying how the slightest turn of phrase can fall on either side of a narrow edge

3 Likes

Indoctrination is a good thing if the doctrine is true.

I certainly hope you were indoctrinated into the dogmatic rules of the road if you’ve ever driven a vehicle. Indoctrination in how to drive and maintain a nuclear submarine is kind of important too. (We are not talking about how gracious the teachers are, please note.)

1 Like

True teaching helps you understand why the rules are there. Indoctrination is wrong.

Richard

1 Like

Sometimes you need to do the right thing before you understand all the whys.

1 Like

I would agree that indoctrination is a normal and healthy part of teaching. It’s nothing more than passing on the accumulated knowledge of those who came before us. You can’t add to that knowledge until you understand how we got to where we are now. In the sciences, you can’t overturn the consensus until you learn what the consensus is. High school science classes are almost entirely indoctrination, and that’s a good thing.

3 Likes

Of course Christians believe we have revelation, doctrine, from and about our ‘preexistent’ God, to frame it in temporal language as we must. I just ‘now’ seconds ago sent an email to my sons about the NOVA we were talking about over coffee before they had to leave, on the illusion of time and the varying ‘now’ spacetime slices.

And I see nothing wrong with teaching those beliefs. It’s rather silly to expect each new seeker to figure out all of Christian theology on their own. The only caveat I would have is that we not use government resources to teach religious beliefs, the whole “separation of church and state” thing.

2 Likes

I would fully agree that something like a “World Religions” course would really benefit high school students.

3 Likes

In the U.S., most people don’t realize the 1st Amendment was meant to protect state established religions from the newly formed federal government. Kind of ironic something so simple would be distorted with the passage of a 100 or so years.

From the very start the idea was that government resources should not be used for religious indoctrination.

The 14th Amendment applied the 1st Amendment to the states.

2 Likes

Due process clause, right? If a state today wished to use state funds for schools of religious education it’d be perfectly constitutional as long as it does so in an equitable manner.

Congress shall make no law… very specifically and meaningfully the prohibition was with respect to the federal government

That has led to some interesting outcomes.

1 Like

And the 14th Amendment very specifically and meaningfully applied these restrictions to the states.

1 Like

Yes and without restricting a state from funding religion in an equitable manner.

Are you seeing something I don’t see: “no person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law”

I’m seeing the rest of the amendment.

2 Likes

Like I said, no restriction on a state funding religion in an equitable manner.

Again, this distorts the meaning of the 1st Amendment. If anything it was a wall of separation between church and federalism. And the due process clause protects an individual from having their rights taken away as the result of a religion.

If a state wished to fund schools of religious education in such a way that no religion would be excluded as long as it complied with the same basic requirements that private schools have to comply with now, then there would be no contradiction with the 1st or 14th Amendments.