Theologic Musings: What about original sin?

Yes, sorry, you still don’t get it. :slightly_smiling_face:

My wife and I wanted children because we enjoyed our relationship and wanted to expand it, not because we loved the children we hadn’t had yet.

Right. So the Triune God’s motive to create was a love that overflowed like a fountain, not a self-love that desired a bunch of mini-Me’s to praise and glorify their Creator.

Edit: Jesus accepted worship, but it wasn’t his goal or motive.

Jesus is the example, the Original petitioner, and holy means set apart as special and praised. (As the Son of God), he wants God to be praised, he is interested in God’s renown, as should we be. If God wasn’t interested in God’s renown, would Jesus be modeling that prayer for us to pray, in the very first petition? And if I recall correctly, the OT says something here and there about God being interested in his renown among the nations.

Not just incidentally, that is one of the evils of YECism, that it directs mockery and distain of God, as the Bishop of Hippo early said:

And that just brings me back to a thought I’ve expressed before. Would you still have chosen to become a parent if you knew your children would rebel and become estranged from you? I would, and I suspect the same is true of God.

In a real sense, the story of the Prodigal Son is as archetypal as Adam and Eve.

He loved the relationship within the Godhead. “Self-love.”

Iow, it’s not good to be godly and Christlike. :grin:

Jesus is the prototype, in other words (as ha’adam was a prototype, which is another word for archetype. I apologize for the digression.) Jesus as the petitioner has an already existing relationship with God, as do his disciples, who he taught to pray in this manner.

As the Son of God, Jesus prays that all should “honor” or “respect” the name of God. That’s not an interest in God’s reputation (or renown); it’s that all should come to regard God as Father. (The connection is to the 5th Commandment: Honor thy father and mother.) Compare the NET Bible translation (sn is study note and tn is translator’s note):

The loving relationship within the Godhead overflowed into the creation of others who could share that love. A self-love directed inward among eternal divine beings would’ve never resulted in creation. That part seems pretty obvious to me.

Edit: Tapping out. I’ve made my point and endured enough abuse. This convo could go on forever. Maybe I’ll return to it later if I have the energy.

He has a right to those statements as much as he bases them on Scripture.

If you want to say the Bible has no right to those statements, then I would at least respect your forthrightness.

We definitely understand differently! Holy and hallowed mean special and set apart, praiseworthy and famous, among other things.

A self-love that wants to expand its family. I’m sorry that is not obvious to you. It speaks to Jesus’ motivation, à la Hebrews 12:2, quite implicitly, and the plentiful references to our relationship to God as Father in the NT underscore that quite definitively.

And you haven’t picked up on God’s interest in his renown in the OT. Have you read it?

A lack of good arguments will do that. :grin:

Which would be true of any person who demanded worship… sheesh

Check the Greek. You’re importing a concept of “holy” from elsewhere. Daniel Wallace, author of the standard NT seminary textbook Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, is a faculty member of DTS and one of the primary translators of the NET Bible New Testament.

Yes, many times. But thanks for asking.

Despite the smiley face, you’re just being an overall jerk, so I have no interest in continuing dialogue with you. Take care.

1 Like

Importing implications from the OT is not all bad. I think Jesus would concur. (And the first three of the Ten Commandments are relevant too, if not the fourth as well.)

1 Like

I don’t think Jesus would concur with your phrasing.

1 Like

Of all the issues to dispute in Scripture, God’s demand for worship is one I never would have thought possible.

Granted most people don’t understand this with respect to God’s righteous narcissism, which would be emotional troubling if it were not for his triune nature.

God is love and sin is first and foremost not worshipping him - not loving him as the most worthwhile, most beautiful, most valuable, most trustworthy of all.

1 Like

That bears repeating (not because I said it), so I did. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s it, Jesus is the reward!

“Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire.”

Hebrews 12:28

Check this out, it was pretty well ignored, but I think it’s pretty cool:

1 Like

Only a narcissist would accept worship.

1 Like

“It is no argument of the emptiness or deficiency of a fountain, that it is inclined to overflow.”

Jonathan Edwards Dissertation Concerning the End for Which God Created the World

1 Like

Mike - you leave it as if you’re possibly quoting MacDonald in the post above, not directly; but since it comes from that thread, that’s the impression you leave. Did MacDonald ever actually write those words? If so, please provide a reference.

Otherwise, what appears to have actually happened if one goes to look is that you’re quoting your own words from another thread. Or can you provide some reference as to who wrote that - whether it be MacDonald, or anybody else other than yourself?

My impressions (which I hope are shaped from actually reading a lot of MacDonald, not to mention the scriptures themselves that MacDonald steeped himself in) is that God shows us the ultimate example of non self-centeredness in the person of Christ, who is like his Father. And that is why we can be exhorted to also be perfect like our Father in heaven.

1 Like