The Singer by Matt Morton

My son is a pastor at Creekside campus at Grace Bible Church in College Station. This morning on his facebook post he told an incredible story that I thought I would share.
Below is by Matt Morton:

This evening we went and watched our daughter perform in the final show for her Ballet Magnificat Summer Dance Intensive in Mississippi. She did a great job, along with all the girls who danced with her!

Something happened during the evening that I’ve been thinking about all night, though. While one of the other groups was performing, the music stopped playing. Right in the middle of their dance. Technical problems. Without hesitation, the girls continued to dance with no music.

But they only danced without music for about 5 seconds. No, the sound system didn’t come back on for them. What happened was that a group of their fellow dancers began to sing the music from where they were sitting in the back of the auditorium. Then the dancers waiting to perform backstage began to sing from the wings. Their fellow dancers could have left them stranded in silence, but instead they sang the rest of the song for them a cappella, all the way to the end. And of course that particular performance got the loudest ovation of the evening.

The show must go on, they say, which is what the emcee told us when he got back onstage. If there’s one thing we all know, it’s that the show must go on.

But more than that truism, I kept thinking about times I’ve lost my own song - when the music of God’s love, grace, truth, strength and kindness was hard to hear. During those times, I’ve been grateful for people who sang the song for me when it seemed to go silent. Most often it’s been friends, family, or members of my church, who spoke truth into the silence. And sometimes it’s been strangers: authors, musicians, artists that I don’t know personally, but who managed to sing the song I needed to hear at just the right moment. They eased the pain and awkwardness of the silence by singing as well as they could.

Sometimes you’re the one singing for somebody else. Sometimes they’re singing for you. Either way, that’s what God’s people do for each other. We don’t leave each other stranded in the silence. Instead, we sing God’s song for each other, all the way to the end of the dance.

end of Matts story

He also has a podcast that explores the odder things in the Scripture https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bible-explorer/id1461847505 To the mods, there is no discussion there at this podcast site

7 Likes

Beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.