The Mystery Of 536 AD: The Worst Climate Disaster In History

Warning!!! Before proceeding, please note who is starting this thread. If you have already disliked my choice in Youtube videos and/or reading materials, give me a break: Don’t watch this one… If you insist on watching it anyway and then complain to me, I’m going to report you to the mods for harassing a senior citizen.

I really liked this “mystery-solving” video.

• Researching a climatic catastrophe that rocked the Earth in A.D. 535, causing two years of darkness, famine, drought and disease.
    Written records from China, Italy, Palestine and many other countries suggest a huge catastrophe blighted the world in 535AD. But the cause of it has been uncertain.
    Was it a comet? An asteroid? A volcano? Archaeologist David Keys reveals the latter is to blame for the Dark Ages of famine and plague that shaped the world order of today.
4 Likes

I would emend the title to “The Worst Short-Term Climate Disaster in Recorded History”. For all of human history, c. 75,000 BP (with the Toba Eruption) was probably worse. For all of earth’s history 251 MYA was a lot worse, but much slower.

3 Likes

This looks fascinating. Thanks.
I’m just thinking on a rabbit trail–for virtually all my life in a Baptist/ evangelical church, about every 3 months, some pastor or worthy says that some bad news is a sign of Jesus’ return. The predictions are so vague–and so much has happened in the past much worse than currently (wars, famines, etc)–that it reminds us, I guess, that we’re not very good at eschatology.

6 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

Not pulling the age card, are we Terry? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I was fresh from posts by Skov and Knor. :smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.