The links between the biblical abyss, the scientific black hole and cosmogonic chaos

What is the source of the gravitational attraction? Empty space does not exert a gravitational attraction.

I only read the first few sentences. I don’t mean to sound like richard but I won’t be entertaining the discussion on my end. I don’t have anything against you, but I also don’t have any particular reason to try to help out with better explanations and I don’t see the reason in circling back through my arguments and so I won’t read or respond to anything in this thread concerning Tohu wabohu , chaotic waters, hurricanes, black holes and ect… i appreciate you reaching out and sharing your thoughts, but now that I’ve heard them, I don’t see why I should keep reading them. But best luck. Sometimes people get mad when I let them know I’m going to basically ignore them but I do it so that they know whatever amount of effort they want to put into a response to me will be a lost cause and so they should be aware of that before spending their time further.

But that’s just me. The others may enjoy to continue.

But if you enjoy spirals and black holes and things void of life with bizarro horror i recommend checking out the Japanese body horror master , Junji Ito with his manga, and visual series, “ Uzumaki “.

Sure, but then we go back to the fact that black holes were not what the people who wrote the Bible were describing with ordinary terms. They were not describing something they knew nothing about, since that is impossible and not how sense and reference in language works. Language is a semiotic system that is used to communicate, it is not some kind of magical meaning transportation system. Words cannot be used by a culture to refer to things they have no concept of because words are just triggers of concepts.

No it’s not. Sea creatures existed before plants on land. Land animals existed before birds.

That’s a huge assertion and not supported by any evidence. Plus, language is communally constructed and a single person cannot use words that “mean” something different than what the rest of the community thinks they mean.

2 Likes

Not unless they come up with it artistically and add a catchy tune to it that tops the charts and then it gathers popularity until it’s common slang terms. Sometimes , the slang term is even misunderstood and results in people misusing it until that misuse becomes popular and is what’s commonly used. But this is all just lighthearted joking and not meant to be a counter argument.

You are describing the community construction of language.

I was making a joke simply where a rapper can use a word in a completely new way, or create a whole new word, and then that one persons misuse or creation becomes the way a niche uses it.

Not just rappers. Consider the words bigly, covfefe, Nambia, etc.

1 Like

Never heard any of them really. Only heard of one of them a few times as satire about trump. But what i do hear is rap based slang becoming popular.

1 Like

That’s what I said. I said that the difference between the space vacuum and the black hole which is also a vacuum is that the black hole exerts a gravitational attraction and not space.

You said “Words cannot be used by a culture to refer to things they have no concept of because words are only triggers for concepts”. When they tell us about angels, where have they seen these angels before?
You are correct that sea creatures existed before land plants. But, among the first creatures, there were also the plants found under water. Indeed, the first living beings were simple living cells. Scientifically, it is from these cells that plants and marine animals find their origin. But, until then, science has not yet decided to say which evolved before the others.
As for birds, again science has confirmed the Bible by saying that they were there before mammals or terrestrial animals according to the following order "Evolution of vertebrates according to an axial diagram representing the five major classes (fish1 , amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals)

As for the difference in language, I lived in Africa with wise men who did not study. Shooting stars are called wizards. If among them, someone had written a story at that time, whoever reads it today will indeed think that he was talking about a real wizard circulating in space. But, anyone who has any knowledge of their language will know that he was talking about meteorites. Any movement, any force and any energy of which one did not understand, was qualified of the spirit of God if it is constructive or of the spirit of the evil if it is destructive. Even the language that ancient Greek philosophers used is still under study to this day. The language has evolved a lot over time and knowledge.

I know, and that is a valid observation about language change. People coin new words and give words new senses all the time. But you can only do it in a community of speakers where you can convince others (via media or other ways of popularizing the new usage) to use the word the same way. No one can sit in a social vacuum like the OP is proposing Moses did and use a word with a meaning only known to themselves and then have that meaning be decodable by others thousands of years later. That is nonsense. Words mean things because people in speech communities use words to mean those things. A rapper can’t successfully coin a new meaning unless lots of people adopt his or her new meaning and start using the word the same way.

1 Like

In every science, there is a specific language, and someone who is not part of that science can pronounce a word differently than someone who is not part of that science. Today, scientists call the cavities they have discovered in the sky or in space black holes. But this name was created only in the 20th century. If someone else had discovered it in the 17th century, he could have given it another name. In my previous examples, Professor Gabriele Veneziano, inventor of the string model, said that in the pre-Big-Bang era, matter had gathered in an axis forming a black hole, and he continued, it is from this black hole that our Universe came. But, in the Bible, the word “abyss” was used and in the other cosmogonic stories, the word “chaos” was used. Even if you have a well established idea about the black hole, but until today, we have not yet found an explanation for the black holes that we find in the middle of each galaxy. This is to say that not all black holes have a standard pattern in which they form. Even if the words are different for those who have a great scientific knowledge, but it is necessary to understand through the sentence what the other one meant.

This is still nonsense because words cannot refer to things people have no concept of. The ancients had no concepts of black holes, they had concepts of chaos and the abyss, things which were not black holes. Until you figure out this very basic sense and reference issue, your hypothesis here makes no sense. The Bible simply does not speak of black holes.

1 Like

The ancients had no concept of black hole, they had concepts of chaos and abyss, things that were not black holes. You are right. French and English are not part of my native language. In order to make a parallelism between these words and the black hole, I consulted encyclopedias, not what these words mean in Hebrew or Greek. It is the explanations or definitions that I read in these encyclopedias that made it possible for me to make a parallelism between these words and the black hole.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.