The Great Electric Airplane Race

This is called a self-fulfilling prophesy. Nothing is possible, so we won’t even try. Fortunately not too many of us think like that. Now I must get back to my flint knapping…

1 Like

I love the category errors, Woo chemistry isn’t any more possible than woo physics. If you want a couple of Nobels then come up with something better than lithium ion polymer. Ever. In the next thousand years. Or ten. It’s good for university Ph.D. students to find more ways of how not to do things, gives them something to get their teeth in to, prove themselves, they will always be ‘trying’, but failure’s good enough to create a technocracy.

Lithium ion polymer batteries.

I covered them. And?

That particular battery technology was developed a little more recently than 220 years ago.

Yeah. Starting 1912.

Yes, I see how much it has been plateauing since 1990, and on a logarithmic scale:

1 Like

We were talking about polymer electrolyte batteries.

The dry SPE was the first used in prototype batteries, around 1978…

2 Likes

More plateaus (note about DNA):

2 Likes

I think my tv set needs new vacuum tubes

1 Like

And that CRT has to go!

1 Like

If you know of any woo physics or chemistry that is going to increase battery power by a factor of fifty, please describe it. Any nonsense will do. I mean the faintest, loopiest idea. OK a factor of ten. Two would be a start. 50% Anything. Or you know anyone who’s working on it. Anywhere. Where it’s just around the corner. Closer than nuclear fusion, which has never been closer.

1 Like

Repeating from earlier…

It is not new battery chemistry, but it ain’t on any plateau!

…performs ten times better than all previous versions.

(Oh yeah, note the date. Less than 7 decades ago… less than 7 decades of days.)

2 Likes

That’s absolutely nothing then. Not even a whisper of woo.

Turn up the voltage…

Woo physics. Technology plateau. Right.

I have no dog in this race (I don’t even like to drive), but I just read this article this AM. I’m interested in how that might bear. You obviously know a lot more than I do; I’m learning. Thanks.
Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think - BBC News

2 Likes

Read it too @Randy. It will never power a 747 across the Atlantic. Hydrogen will.

1 Like

What a simple, therefore very clever, lie.

1 Like