The Bible, Rocks, and Time: Christians and an Old Earth (Part 1)

Where did the young-earth creationist ideas of Answers in Genesis come from?
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/ted-davis-reading-the-book-of-nature/the-bible-rocks-and-time-christians-and-an-old-earth-part-1

Although I obviously didn’t write this material, I can probably answer questions since it’s historical in nature. It goes without saying that comments are always welcome.

@TedDavis

It is very interesting that Ellen G. White, the Founder of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, was an important influence in Flood Geology.

For those who might not know the US was swept with the Millerite expectation of the Second Coming in the eighteen forties that was capped by the Great Disappointment of 1844. Two religious movements came our of this disappointment, the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Seventh-day Adventists. The first is clearly a cult, while the second has come cultic aspects. For one thing it reinstated seventh day worship based on the Mosaic Covenant and has a legalistic point of view.

It seems strange that conservative Christians would allow themselves to be influenced by the dubious theology of Seventh-day Adventism. On the other hand it seems that they have bought into the Genesis version of Creation hook, line, and sinker at the expense of the NT understanding of Creation. Thus their understanding of salvation has become legalistic, rather than based on grace.

Salvation is not based on right thinking about the Bible or the right understanding of Genesis or worshiping on a particular day… Salvation is the right relationship to God and others. Salvation is accepting Jesus Christ as one’s Lord and Savior.

I read somewhere that the Mormons strict application of 10% tithing (which was initially pretty controversial in America) eventually inspired major Protestant denominations to revive tithing as a common (though not universal) church practice.

@gbrooks9

Have you done any research to find out if that were true?

Or are you just interested in spreading rumors?

The practice of tithing can be found in the Old Testament.

I found the article credible … I noted that it was written by a non-Mormon Protestant.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.