Textual and cultural-historical evidence about the purposes of Genesis?

Hey there, I am interested in the view that Genesis is a set of narratives speaking of real events using literary tools to convey theological messages, instead of a word-for-word retelling of real events. I understand that this interpretation has a historical background with people like Augustine or Origen who for example didn’t take the days of creation as literal, 24-hour-periods, but I would like to ask people who affirm this view to provide me with evidence from the examination of ancient cultures and also from the text of Genesis itself that show the purpose of Genesis is not modern-historical (as in literally retelling events in every detail of it) but theological and ancient-historical (as in using a narrative to convey messages about God and to serve other, related purposes)
This interpretation of Genesis does make sense to me, however I feel my belief in it would be greatly strengthened if someone could list me some parts of the text (as well as what we know about ANE cultures and writings) that compelled them to affirm this view.

You can’t go wrong with N. T. Wright

Video

Or his Lost World series.

1 Like

I think it’s John Walton who did the Lost World Series. I’m not sure if NT Wright also did one. If so it would be fun to read also.

I did a search on Amazon for NT Wright and the Lost World series came up. Turns out the Lost World of Adam and Eve has a contribution by NT Wright and the author is John Walton. But would still be a good source.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.