Supernatural Adam

AIG going after Francis Collins and Biologos again.

@Patrick,

To my surprise, the opening paragraphs of this article give me CONSIDERABLE ENCOURAGEMENT!

It seems as if science in general, and BioLogos specifically, are making HEADWAY in the Evangelical world!!!

" Viewing Adam as anything other than the first human, who was supernaturally created, is now becoming a standard interpretation for many within the evangelical community. This shift has come about largely
by evangelicals who are committed to embracing evolution as the way God created the world and formed the first human being.[1]

A number of proposals for interpreting Adam have been suggested by theologians
who embrace evolution: that -

he is stereotypical,[2]
a neo-lithic farmer,[3]
the head of a tribe,[4]
an archetype of humanity,[5] or
that he did not even exist.[6] "

FOOTNOTES:
[1] This push has come from people such as Francis Collins, who was the director of the Human Genome Project and founder of the theistic evolutionary think tank Biologos. See https://biologos.org/.
[2] Alister McGrath, “What Are We to Make of Adam and Eve?,” BioLogos, March 31, 2010, http://www.biologos.org/blog/what-are-we-to-make-of-adam-and-eve/.
[3] Denis Alexander, Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose? (Oxford, UK: Monarch Books, 2008), 236, 243. Alexander acknowledges that this is his view on page 243.
[4] C. John Collins, Did Adam and Eve Really Exist? Who They Were and Why You Should Care (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2011).
[5] John Walton, The Lost World of Adam and Eve: Genesis 2–3 and the Human Origins Debate (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2015).
[6] See Denis O. Lamoureux, “Evolutionary Creation View,” in Four Views on the Historical Adam (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2013), 37–65.
[END OF QUOTES]

I think BioLogos staff and supporters should consider this recent AIG article as a cause for celebration!

George

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.