Successful Launch!

The James Webb Space Telescope has successful launched! All good so far. More than 400,000 people from all over the world are watching.

@SkovandOfMitaze

6 Likes

And NASA’s Bill Nelson quoting Psalm 19! Very cool!

The heavens declare the glory of God,
    and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
    and night to night reveals knowledge.

Psalm 19:1-2

5 Likes

That’s a much better choice of a passage to apply than the one than a graduation speaker at the university where my uncle used to work used for encouraging the graduates: “And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.” (Geenesis 11:6b). My uncle said that the OT professor audibly groaned upon hearing this.

3 Likes

Not everyone is cheering. I found this post to the comment section of the CBC article covering the launch.

The false and dangerous presuppositions that undergird this article testify to how men are looking for answers in all the wrong places not the least being false evolutionary pseudo- science. The unique written Word of God, The Holy Bible, my presuppositional starting point, tells me what the heavens are for and where they came from! The unique and only God of the Bible spoke them into existence. The heavens are not for man to figure out his purpose and place in the universe. The Holy Bible clearly answers this question. The purpose of the heavens is to declare the Glory of the unique and only God of the Holy Bible who made them and sustains them as well as everything else - including you and including me!

Sad really. If the purpose of the heavens is to declare the glory of God, what could possibly be wrong with building a telescope which opens up space and time as never before?

5 Likes

The article says. (not you):

But the writer probably has indirectly enjoyed what satellites in the heavens have provided: GPS, Landsat satellites monitoring the earth, live television broadcasts from around the world, and so on. And who know what would have happened if our satellites had not detected the nuclear missiles in Cuba pointed at us?

It really is sad. I suppose they don’t like the idea of peering back in deep time.

3 Likes

So many are so backwards in their thinking that they don’t ever be able to see anything positive in science. Emotional without academic understanding.

What even funnier is watching them trying to figure out if the universe is 13 billion years old how can we see light that’s 27 billion years old.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. Imagine a god so deceptive that he’d let us see cosmic events that never happened. We would be no better off than a fish in an aquarium with fake plants.

2 Likes

The JWST still has some tasks to do before it can be useful. But so far things are looking good!

1 Like

Are we there yet?!?!? :wink:

1 Like

Yes, it had occurred to me earlier that there might be a bit of a similarity between the feat of the telescope and Babel in the minds of some, and indeed there is. (Also in the minds of some who think that humankind can achieve anything we want.) That is one reason I was glad to hear Nelson.

You are saying that wrong (is that on purpose?). The light is from 27 billion (or even 46 billion) light years away. This does not mean that the light is 27 billion years (or 46 billion years) old. The answer to how this is possible is of course the expansion of the universe.

What I’m referring to is the fact light and time is not on a single linear progression. So light headed in every direction meaning some light is several billion miles in one direction and if you were to go that far in the opposite direction , the distance is doubled from that center point or how expansion plays a role
In it .so we can see light that has not yet reached us using technology.

Solar panels now deployed and power is on.

Next up, first planned course correction

EDIT: MCC1a Course correction complete.

Odometer

Timeline of mission events

2 Likes

No pics for 6 months.

1 Like

Using that verse to promote “now that you have a degree, you can do anything!” still seems rather a poor choice.

1 Like

24H Live Tracking James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)

The page constantly updates as Webb travels, deploys, and cools to operating temperature.

I just knew this was coming!

2 Likes

There might be something he is unaware of regarding the speed of light.

This is what the LORD says: If I have not established my covenant with the day and the night and the fixed laws of heaven and earth…

Jeremiah 33:25

1 Like

AIG’s official position (yes, I did have some reason, which I now forget, to check a year or so ago) is the from-relativistic-viewpoint option, rather than the mess-with-c option (which they say they previously endorsed).

1 Like

Ham skips the part in Job where God describes the firmament as hard as a molten mirror.