Spinoff: Law vs. Grace?

Your translation. Past tense. Is Jesus going to lose his grip?

I am thankful that my ultimate salvation does not depend on my grip! He says it for encouragement, to keep looking to Jesus, because that is where our help comes from. It’s become a cliché, perhaps, about the single pair of footsteps in the sand… when Jesus was carrying us.

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
Isaiah 46:4

This is what the verse is actually saying. You’re using it as if it’s for a individual. But it’s not. The context is for all of Israel.

Isaiah 46:3-4
New American Standard Bible
3 “Listen to Me, house of Jacob,
And all the remnant of the house of Israel,
You who have been carried by Me from [a]birth
And have been carried from the womb;
4 Even to your old age I will be the same,
And even to your graying years I will carry you!
I have done it, and I will bear you;
And I will carry you and I will save you.

It says it’s to the house of Jacob. That means all of the Israelites. So did any of these a Israelites later on fall into sin and adultery and get destroyed? Yes. So it’s not about the individual. Likewise, it’s about the body of Christ as a whole, and not the individual.

A few chapters later uses the same language.

If you read through that you will see similar verses to the one you shared. How God will sustain them. Then, he’s talking about the tribe of Jacob as a whole, and not the individual. He also mentions that some would not have had their names eliminated. The book of life hyperlinks to this. Names can be eliminated by God.

The next verse in the link is this one.

Ephesians 1:5-6
5 He predestined us to adoption as sons and daughters through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, with which He favored us in the Beloved.

The link is doing the same fallacy. It’s using a term for the body of Christ as a whole and trying to make it about a individual.

But if you continue to read it from there all the way through the end of chapter two it becomes clear it’s about the body as a whole, and not the individual.

Ephesians 2:11-16
11 Therefore remember that previously you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called “Uncircumcision” by the so-called “Circumcision” which is performed in the flesh by human hands— 12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the people of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of the promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who previously were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the hostility, which is the Law composed of commandments expressed in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two one new person, in this way establishing peace; 16 and that He might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the hostility.

It’s similar to this verse commonly used by universalist in a equally wrong way as OSAS.

1 John 2:2-6
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever follows His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says that he remains in Him ought, himself also, walk just as He walked.

It says that he does for the sins of the whole world. But then it continues on to say that those who remain in him. He says those they remain becsuse not all will remain. It also says whoever follows his word will be perfected, their love perfected. Paul makes it clear in the other verses I showed up above in the other post thst the perfection does not actually happen now but later.

Then further down in this same chapter we read.

1 John 2:24
24 As for you, see that what you heard from the beginning remains in you. If what you heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.

It says see that what you heard remains in you. ( the gospel ) remaining in the believer. Then it says “ if” it remains in you ( indicating it can also be lost ) you will also remain in the son.

It will be several hours until I am back.

Maybe you missed what I said earlier.

Many a dear saint has done that, including my mother.

You also seem to have conveniently not responded to my reply about your failed Philippians 12 argument.

Of course he is addressing a group, but he is talking to individuals within the group. You excuse individuals from serious engagement with their heavenly Father and elder Brother and depersonalize scripture.

He is not saying he predestined the church, else he would have said church. I’m pretty sure church was in his vocabulary. What he said was sons, of whom you and I are both personally included as individuals.

Groups are not adopted. Individuals are.

This is short, a 9 minute listen or 5 minute read:

2 Corinthians 1:20 says, All the promises of God find their Yes in him [Christ]. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.

Contrary to what American nationalistic Christianity is so wont to say, he addresses why 2 Chronicles 7:14 does not apply,

You’ll have to reinstate your argument because so far I’ve addressed everyone of them and have seen you stress none. I am going to withdraw from the discussion also. I feel that I’ve answered enough of the arguments to show OSAS is a lie. It’s not found in the Bible and it’s not taught by Jesus and I’ve refuted a handful and have seen no actual counter arguments from you. Just assumptions on your behalf with nothing to back it up.

So back to my original response. When I have time to work on a in depth 200+ scripture response against OSAS for the congregation I attend I’ll retrofit it for this group as its own thread.

So after you reinstate whatever the Philippians argument is ill respond snd then mute this thread on my end.

It’s just your feeling and not a logical fact.

…is not difficult.

and

And I am not accusing anyone of lying, just of being mistaken, so be careful with your accusations, my brother. (If you accuse a group, then you are accusing the individuals in the group.)

We disagree. I think OSAS is a lie. I don’t think it’s biblical. I think those that believe it are deceived and wrong teaching heresy. I do consider it heresy. If I was at a church, snd a pastor taught that view, it would be enough to make me leave and not return.

I still believe that someone can believe it and be a Christian. Just like someone can believe a wide range of things and still be a Christian. We see scripture and the story very different. So different that I don’t care to spend the time to work through it. I understand that you think you’re winning and showing all this proof. I don’t think that and in fact believe the opposite and I recognize that disagree with that.

I responded for a few reasons. I wanted to counter enough that I feel confident that someone wanting to study this out that comes across that thread will be able to read my responses and have something to work off of. But as for continuing it I don’t see any benefit to do so. I think the hours and effort needed I could do better with a different approach when I have the time later on.

I’m glad about that! :grin:

I’m ready and waiting. And talk to me about my response to your erroneous Philippians argument which you asked me to repeat, and I did.

My responses for some of your other arguments are already here in this thread, I’m sure.

5/30: ETA @SkovandOfMitaze: “And talk to me…” Or not, I guess.

I repeat,

If you are accusing me of lying, then you are being pharisaical.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.