Spinoff: Law vs. Grace?

Reminds me of this Muslim man from earlier in the pandemic:

Some of his quotes:

It is not a step I have taken lightly, my beard is not just part of my identity but of my religion. I’ve had a beard for well over a decade and I can’t remember the last time I shaved.

“I have consulted many Islamic scholars and teachers, locally and nationally, sought advice from fellow Muslim healthcare professionals and the British Islamic medical Association.

I’ve shaved off my beard to protect my patients, my colleagues and family. One of the greatest acts is to save someone’s life. This simple act may help to do that."

4 Likes

When Jesus judges believers in Rev 2 and 3 according to their WORKS, is that legalism?

When James 2:24 says “a man is justified by WORKS and not by faith alone”, is that legalism?

When Paul warns believers in Gal 5 and 1Cor 6 that their SINS can result in them not inheriting the kingdom of God, is that legalism?

When Rev 14 describes the “saints” as “those who KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of God and the faith of Jesus”, is that legalism?

When Christ condemns the “goats” to eternal punishment for NOT PERFORMING GOOD WORKS in Matt 25, is that legalism?

When John 3:36 says DISOBEDIENCE leads to eternal death, is that legalism?

When 1John 3:24 says, “All who KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS abide in him, and he in them”, is that legalism?

If sin is so irrelevant, why does Jesus tell us to cut off our hand and pluck out our eye if they cause us to sin (Matt 5)?

If sin is so irrelevant, why does Paul warn believers in Gal 5 and 1Cor 6 that their sins can lead them to hell?

If sin is so irrelevant, why does 1John 2:4 say, “He who says ‘I know him’, but disobeys his commandments (ie, sins) is a liar and the truth is not in him”?

If sin is so irrelevant, why does 1Peter 1:15-17 warn believers to “be holy yourselves in all your conduct” because God will judge every believer “according to his deeds”?

I didn’t know that.

If everyone who has ever lived will be saved and admitted to Heaven, why does Jesus say certain “evildoers” will not “enter the kingdom of Heaven” (Matt 7:21-23)?

And why does Jesus say “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it” (Matt 7:13)?

What is “the faithfulness of Christ”?

Deeds are the proof of the pudding. You cannot have a right heart (the real bottom line) and still live willfully like you do not. Deeds must accompany a changed heart, or else the latter is highly suspect, from our point of view. And anyone who thinks they have a right heart and yet continues to engage in evil deeds or absence of good deeds is fooling themselves. But ‘righteous living’ and good deeds are also not proof of a right heart in themselves.

You didn’t answer my question: “At what point did Jesus give you your ticket to Heaven? The moment you came to Christ? One week later? A year later? When?”

You claim to know how you were “saved” and that you are certain of gaining eternal life, but you can’t tell me when Jesus gave you your ticket to Heaven. I find that rather odd.

1 Like

Include me. :slightly_smiling_face: My adoption is irrevocable, but I am clueless when it was ‘official’. Somewhere in my youth*, but I became more aware of it and sure of it during my senior year in high school and following.

(My parents were of a kind of revivalist theology, baptistic …but my mom said ‘deep water Presbyterian’ one time :slightly_smiling_face:, and I raised my hand at more than one alter call when I was little. :slightly_smiling_face:)

*…or ‘before’ in eternity past:

…written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.
Revelation 13:8

Which Bible are you reading? The rich young man asks Jesus what good thing he must do to get to Heaven and the very first thing Jesus says to him is, “If you would enter life, keep the commandments” (Matt 19:17) … quite clearly, Jesus is preaching that good behaviour (ie, keeping the commandments) is a necessary condition for eternal salvation.

What Jesus is preaching is salvation through faith and works – Jesus tells the rich young man to keep the commandments (works) and to overcome his love of money (works) and then tells him to “follow me” (faith).

As for, “and effective only at the end of life” …
Really? If you are already “saved”, why does Jesus say, “he who endures TO THE END will be saved” (Matt 24:13)?

Why does Paul say he will receive eternal life only after he has “finished the race” at the end of his life (2Tim 4:7)?

Hebrews 10:6 says, ”let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us”. What is the “race” that we must persevere with?

If you are already saved, how do you make sense of this verse?:”For you have need of endurance, that you may do the will of God and receive what is promised” (Heb 10:36).

If a believer falls away and becomes an unrepentant serial killer, for example, is he still “saved”? If a believer falls away and becomes an unrepentant atheist, he is still saved?

Sort of, but not quite. Salvation is the forgiveness of sins, and is the first step on the road to eternal life. When a believer receives faith and is baptized, his past sins are forgiven, but this doesn’t mean he also receives an irrevocable ticket to Heaven – rather, he receives a promise of Heaven, and the promise is conditional.

Furthermore, the promise of eternal life through the forgiveness of sins can be lost, as is obvious from Scripture. For example, Paul warns believers in Gal 5 and 1Cor 6 that their sins can result in them not inheriting the kingdom of God; Jesus denies eternal life to certain believers who became “evildoers” in Matt 7:21-21.
If a baptized believer loses his faith and becomes an atheist, for example, will he still be granted eternal life?

Eternal life is granted only after we die and are judged “worthy” (Rev 3:4) by Christ; it is the reward a believer receives as a result of abiding in Christ unto death, which entails not only faith, but striving for holiness (Heb 12:14), which is striving to keep the commandments (“He who says ‘I know him’ but disobeys his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him” – 1John 2:3-6).
To claim that you already have your ticket to Heaven is not only unscriptural and blasphemous, it’s also irrational and devoid of common sense.

What does “believe on Jesus Christ” mean, according to you?

I agree. But receiving the gifts faith and the Holy Spirit is only the first step – it doesn’t mean you are instantly given an irrevocable ticket to Heaven.
In fact, the gift of the Holy Spirit can be withdrawn and lost – it is conditional and abiding in Christ and living a holy life, as explained above.

What do you think “faith without works is dead” means?

And while you’re at it, what do you think James 2:24 means? - “a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.” What are these “works” that are necessary to be justified in the eyes of God?

You are free to defy your Creator - good luck with that.

I agree, but a believer cannot judge himself “worthy” (Rev 3:4) of eternal life and declare that he already has his ticket to Heaven. As Paul says,
"I do not even judge myself. 4 For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the [b]counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God. (1Cor 4).

So to judge yourself already eternally “saved” is not only delusional, it is a form of blasphemy, because it amounts to putting yourself on the Judgement Seat that belongs only to Christ.

That’s not the whole story, taken in the full context of scripture. Paul was in no way denying his salvation or putting it in doubt.

The Christian’s Confidence & Eternal Security, a list:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1t2vwVIXTdIrR3AE6oXi9nucmS2hYk3F9/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

No, it amounts to taking Father’s word for it, and he is trustworthy.

So Jesus has already judged you and sent you a certificate that declares you saved for eternity? Or maybe he sent you a ticket to Heaven? If not, what makes you think you are certain to go to Heaven?

Any deluded fool can say “I’m saved!” … like Danny, the born-again Christian who went around the town twenty years ago telling everyone he’s “saved” - he even got himself a couple of Jesus tattoos … alas, today Danny is an atheist. He is still saved, so you think?

David Koresh believed he was saved - was he?

Do you have any idea how many atheists were formerly believing Christians? Go on any atheist online forum and you find hordes of them. There’s even pastors who lost their faith and became atheists.

That’s not a thing. They only thought they were. Read the list.

Really? Jesus said some will “believe for a while” and then lose their faith (Luke 8:13) - in other words, they became believing Christians and later they lost their faith, making themselves “former Christians”.

What about Judas? Was he chosen to be an apostle, so he was a Christian - was he saved?

How do you know what they thought and what was in their hearts? Are you God?

What “list”?

An adopted child cannot know that they are adopted and loved, irrevocably. That is very sad.

…being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

I know it is possible to be terribly mistaken, hence the very severe warnings from both the Lord and Paul, and Paul even says “test yourselves” in multiple places. There were ‘mere professors’ even in the early church.

Perseverance is a birthday present when you are newly born again. Is being born reversible?

My declaration that there are no conditioned reflexes in Heaven is hyperbole, but has to be true. Genetically coded, evolved pre-wiring and experience played out on that makes us what we are, even with our A-(is for Access)-Consciousness (we can think about our thinking), is what we begin with in Heaven, the seed of consciousness within our glorified brains. It will all be deconstructed and reconstructed in the ultimate therapy. It all has to die and be reborn. We will all move on from what we are. In the gutter. The sanest and best of us are randomly, helplessly privileged above the unhelpably broken, sick, ignorant, depraved of us. All in the same gutter.

Where and when does the Kingdom of Heaven start?

Christianity, the way, the other centred situation ethics of Jesus, was the start. How are we doing? In that narrow way? How effectively have we entered in to that way of life? I’m not interested in the impossibility of failing in the transcendent, but in how I can fail better in my tiny little broken life now.

The transcendent will look after itself thanks be to the πίστις Χριστο - pistis Christou - the faithfulness of Christ. Not our feeble faith in that.

Jesus does what He says on the tin, saves.

Hello, I’m not @Edgar but I will chime in if you don’t mind. Welcome to the world of hidden or unspoken conditions that are all over the Bible.

For instance, remember the story of Jonah? He was told by God to preach that Nineveh will be destroyed in 40 days. There were no conditions stated. However, Jonah fled from preaching because, as says later, he knew that Nineveh will be spared if they repent.

Look at another set of passages:

First, the promise to Phinehas:

Numbers 25: 10 The Lord said to Moses, 11 “Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, the priest, has turned my anger away from the Israelites. Since he was as zealous for my honor among them as I am, I did not put an end to them in my zeal. 12 Therefore tell him I am making my covenant of peace with him. 13 He and his descendants will have a covenant of a lasting priesthood, because he was zealous for the honor of his God and made atonement for the Israelites.”

Seems like a clear promise that Phinehas’ family will walk before the Lord for ever (although Hebrew doesn’t have “eternal” words, “lasting” in NIV has been translated as everlasting by other translations (NKJV for instance). And the condition or this promise was faithfulness of Phinehas!

And yet, what do we find in 1 Sam. 2?
1 Samuel 2: 30 “Therefore the Lord, the God of Israel, declares: ‘I promised that members of your family would minister before me forever.’ But now the Lord declares: ‘Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained.

God clearly says he said one thing but then changes his mind based on behavior of those to whom the promise was made initially. This concept destroyed Eternal Security once and for all.

These salvation discussions make me chuckle because it doesn’t really matter what the Bible says, what matters is how the text is interpreted. Look at this gem by John Piper:

We are not justified through sanctification. Let me say it again: we are not justified through sanctification. But we are finally saved through sanctification — that is, through a real change in our hearts and minds and lives without which we will not see the Lord.

Another point, remember Luke’s parable of the sower.

Luke 8: 13 Those on the rocky soil are the ones who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and yet these do not have a firm root; they believe for a while, and in a time of temptation they fall away.

So, it is possible to “believe for a while” according to Jesus. And yet, if the person is born by faith, what happens if they stop believing? Do they die spiritually and become like the unsaved or do they prove they were never born to begin with? Either way, doesn’t appear that they will make it to heaven in that condition, according to mainstream Evangelicals.

Jesus is not giving an extended dissertation on soteriology. He is simply saying what the external effect looks like. And it shouldn’t be too difficult to understand the distinction between intellectual assent and approval to certain ideas, ‘believing’ them, and the essence of the heart’s desire.

The problem with many translations of Psalm 15:2 is changing the preposition to reflect modern English idiom. It should not be 'from": “…and speaks truth IN his heart.” I like the present continuous tense of the YLT (it is not just a one time thing, but a state of being):

He who is walking uprightly, And working righteousness, And speaking truth IN his heart.

We are a particularly gullible species and extremely capable of being deceived and deceiving ourselves. Recent events in the U.S. demonstrate that nicely, belief in political lies and investment in conspiracism.

1 Like