Spin-off Trinity discussion from mind, soul, spirit thread

If He exists, then they must give way to Him. They exist because He does. An eternal sub-routine of His mind. He is the ground of being. The purposeless force that creates them otherwise would have aseity. Aseity rests with the primum mobile.

You can describe people in the same way.

Your eyes saw me when I was formless; all my days were written in your book and planned before a single one of them began.

Aye. Autonomous. But that bit of three thousand year poetry isn’t how it works of course. God is not meta-infinite Bender from Futurama with the entire b-movie B-Theory of time block cosmos of every Planck tick for past and future eternal infinity spooled in His chest.

It is about time you came to your senses. You know that this mystical, changeless stuff is amoral, because since no change takes place, it makes no difference what people may do.

Whatever you say Roger.

Actually, God is omnitemporal.

He is for you Dale, fine. I exist now.

As do I and so does God. You have made no point.

Not for you.

I don’t exist yesterday or tomorrow. If God the Bender does, fine.

I’m not sure why that is not blasphemy, or that you aren’t mocking me.

I don’t disagree with the concept of trinity. However, I don’t use it and even the concept I guess depends on what you mean.

I believe there is one God. I believe that God has expressed himself in several forms to humanity.

I believe in God the Father. God the Angel of the Lord. God the Word. God emptying himself into a human form aka God the Son. God the Holy Spirit. God also came to earth as a burning blackberry bush.

I don’t believe the angel of the lord was Jesus and I don’t believe Jesus existed as a human form prior to the birth. I think before that he existed merely as God and as Gods word.

The word became flesh. I don’t think Jesus was jist this disembodied spirit with a personality and then was wiped clean when born and then developed a new personality or whatever it is people imagine happened.

And I don’t believe Jesus was just a body with God in place of a human mind. That is not 100% human but something nameless and weird. A human being starts as a cell and has to grow and learn everything and the mind grows just like everything else. If Jesus didn’t experience that then he wasn’t human at all. I believe that Jesus 100% human in every way. Jesus was 100% God because God can be whatever He chooses, even a zygote, embryo in a womb, or a newborn infant, And God doesn’t cease to be God with the lack of some power or knowledge any more than a man ceases to be a man because they lose the power to walk or because they forget something.

Was there no difference between Jesus and any other human being at the time? There was a difference. He was a human being with a connection to God which could not be broken because He was God. There was no erasure because before the incarnation there was only the spirit and to be sure the spirit isn’t altered – I don’t think that is even possible. Personality? I am not even sure that is a singular thing, but rather a large number of things, some from the body and others from the mind, very little from the spirit. But then why, you might ask, was Jesus any different than other people. His relationship with the Father made all the difference. Jesus had to learn like all of us, but He did not just learn from other human beings but the Father with whom He spoke all the time. In this He was much like Adam, so He is called the second Adam.

I think he was 100% human.

Scripture says god emptied himself out into the lowly form of a man.

Jesus did not know everything and could be tempted by sin.

The words of God, the same words he spoke in creation, became flesh. That flesh was not a god. Jesus was tempted and asked if possible let him face what was coming but if not let Gods will be done.

God knows everything and can’t be tempted. He also can’t be killed.

There is no scriptural reason to believe Jesus, a human, existed prior to being born. What we read is that Gods words became flesh. Gods words was God and was with God. It separated from God and became a man. That man had to learn.

That man was just like us. The difference is that he chose to not sin. The fact he could be tempted, means he could have failed which means by not failing he fulfilled the law.

We don’t have a specific term. We can’t because it’s beyond what we can explain or experience.

But what we can see what was wrote about him.

Philippians 2:5-11 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1 Like

What you mean by “tempted” is apparently different from what I think it means. I wouldn’t say that God can’t be tempted and I would say it does not follows that if Jesus could be tempted then it means He could fail. I think part of what Jesus was showing us was that not knowing didn’t mean we had to sin, because we could rely upon the guidance of God.

No. We don’t read any such thing.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God; 3 all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came for testimony, to bear witness to the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness to the light. 9 The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world knew him not. 11 He came to his own home, and his own people received him not. 12 But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God; 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.

And the word in Greek translated as “Word” here is “logos,” and this word is also translated as “message,” “communication,” “story,” “news,” “report,” and “saying,” But it says “the Word” not God’s words. And it doesn’t say that the Word separated from God either.

As I said anadromously: “God is not meta-infinite Bender from Futurama with the entire b-movie B-Theory of time block cosmos of every Planck tick for past and future eternal infinity spooled in His chest.”

You decide which. Or get above that false dichotomy.

If it says,

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Then it says ,” 14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth” it seems to indicate the word ( the story of truth ) separated from him and came to the earth.

In genesis 1 we read of God speaking things into existence. That’s the reference , “ all things created through the word”, is hyperlinking back too.

We can see Jesus cut off from God in many ways such as when he did not know the end of time and said only the father did and when he said only the father was good.

The previous verses also mention that Jesus did not consider being equal to God a thing to be grasped.

As for the temptation.

James 1:13 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.

God can’t be tempted by evil. God can’t be tempted to sin. But Jesus, was tempted to sin.

Matthew 4:1 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

Temptation is not a sin. What’s a sin is pursuing that temptation in your mind and by your actions.

Hebrews 4:15 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

So scripture does show clear examples that God emptied himself into the form of a man. That Jesus was just a man. He could only do what the father powered him to do. He had no power in himself. He passed the test. He was tempted and did not sin. The word that became flesh definitely separated form God.

Superb, ancient, beautiful, pre-Enlightenment, timeless, inspired, ignorant, human yearning of its time. But not ontologically so.

You also said posteriorly to my “God is omnitemporal”,

What would you deduce the implication of that is?

What that you believe that every Planck tick of past and future eternal infinity is as real as now?