Spin-off Trinity discussion from mind, soul, spirit thread

I AM WHO I AM, not Who humans think or want God to be.

God gets to choose Who God is. We do not.

Universes always were?

Choice? What’s that?

Sh’ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Eḥad

Correct . .

God is One, but you have confused One with Simple. God is not Simple.
God is Trinity. God is One and Many.

You know. It’s that thing you did when you decided to type that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The best model for the Trinity is a Person, because Persons are One and Three, Unity in Diversity. Persons are composed of Body, Mind, and Spirit. Human beings are Persons and we are created by God in God’s Image, so we are similar of the Trinity.

I think our atheist friend here was just trying to be playful.

How many? . .

I had no choice Joshua!

1 Like

That’s fine. Like I said, it was just my opinion that the shamrock was one of the better metaphors for the Trinity. What I like about the shamrock analogy is that it is visual and simple . . . and my very distant Irish heritage may bias me a bit. :wink:

3 Likes

God, the Trinity, is not a Person. A Person is not composed of Persons. God is a being in the broadest philosophical sense, also a substance. ‘He’ - better put, God - has, is three economic Persons.

We have to take responsibility for our actions, sir! I would have thought someone of your intellect and moral character would know this!

Self-existent, in other words, no beginning.

That isn’t right. It is heresy similar to modalism. The Father, Son, and Holy spirit are 3 distinct persons not 3 parts of a person.

We still believe in a personal God, just not confined to a singularity of personhood – not sub-personal but trans-personal. Not a God made in our own image but a God who is more rather than less.

2 Likes

God is most certainly a Person, a Relational Entity. YHWH, the God of the OT, is God the Creator, God the Logos/Word., and God the Spirit. I call this the Interpersonal Model of the Trinity, which is found in the OT. The Intrapersonal Model of the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is found in the NT. They are both valid.

God is not Being. Being is a Greek idea, which is made up, not a Biblical theological idea. God is not a Nature, God is not a Substance God is a self creating and sustaining Person. GOD IS WHO GOD IS. God does not need to be explained by something else.

One God is Three Persons, God is One and Many.

Whatever you say Roger.

Aye Dale. That’s the… starting point :slight_smile:

The universe(s) are naysayers to the uniqueness of God’s aseity then.

I know what a fraud I am Joshua, but I’m not going to tell you that am I?!

2 Likes