Species evolution from dinosaurs

If im wrong about my assumption of you beign here just to find something to debate me then im sorry. But it seems like thats the case to me

We are anthropoid (tailless) apes that evolved from ultimately common ancestors of ourselves and chimps and others, by neoteny. We did not evolve separately in any meaningful way until we separated as Homo sapiens and neanderthalensis a quarter of a million years ago from Homo erectus. Is that what you meant? We remain, of course, (anthropoid) apes, primates, monkeys, mammals, animals.

1 Like

It’s false if it’s taken as anything beyond just an iconic picture. Because the implied conception of the illustration invites one to think of evolution as linear change in which each “successor” replaces their “predecessor”. Evolution doesn’t work like that. It’s pictures like this one that cause evolutionary skeptics to ask “well, if man evolved from apes, why are there still apes?”

1 Like

[quote=“Mervin_Bitikofer, post:23, topic:43059”]

Undereducated evolutionary sceptics will still ask that.

Educate them then instead of defending some false picture on the internet and then when someone who believes in evolution says its wrong accuse them of beign antiscience etc etc😉. Not trying to be rude but its good to recognise our faults.

1 Like

It can’t be done Nick. There’s nothing wrong with the picture.

It gives a false assumption

Shouldn’t that pic on the far left have a tail? It should if that pic is supposed to be more than 25 million years ago. Seems to me there could be any number of things wrong with that depiction. But… I don’t know if we can actually prove anything… yet. So here is something wrong with that depiction. Its putting pictures there when we really don’t know what they looked like. It is catering to a need for pictures when we really don’t have any.

I found this interesting. In Wales they have a race with humans and horses (with riders) competing with each other. With a race course of 22 miles long that is enough for them to be competitive with each other. Though horses have been winning most of these races. I suspect that if they made it any longer however then it would be a case of cruelty to animals as the horses start dropping dead. What I am wondering about however is the effect of weather (especially temperature) on the race.

Since 22 miles is 35 km, I guess the 20 km per day in the quote above for horses is not referring to good horses with riders and training.

Man what about food? You said they run 12 hours non stop. The body will start to be catabolic. So hard that it would burn fat and muscle. These athletes are already very skinny
If they run non stop 12 hours even 10000 calories wont keep them for that long. They will be in danger

Even in the marathons they stop along the way for liquids. But you are right, even going without solid food on these ultra-marathons is not recommended. They do stop for a short time to make sure they don’t choke on the food and liquids they consume. Jeesh, even when I am not running, I have to be careful not to eat and breathe at the same time.

How are these ultra marathons allowed? This is the case where fitness is taken to the extreme

Its impossible i think . You could literally die

Plus i guess the same applies to bodybuilding. These dudes drop down their calories to 700 if theu are going full competitive. Crazy stuff. Plus the steroids they take in combination can really screw them up

You can die walking across the street.

You can live 8 to 21 days without food and water, and you can live up to two months without food if you have adequate water. I have personally gone without food for 7 days once and without food for 3 days many times. After 3 days your body converts to getting its nutrients from the body itself. Your ability to do without water depends a great deal on the conditions. In very hot dry climates conditions going without water for only two days can be deadly. I am sure that 8 days in the article above is assuming better conditions.

I think the catabolic starts from the first day.

I am just telling you my own personal experience (from fasting, NOT running!). There is noticeable change in your body on the third day. By the end of 7 days your body has very little energy reserves – you walk one city block and you have to rest. Of course that is the problem of doing these marathons without calorie intake to replace what you are using. I don’t doubt that this is likely to speed up the process considerably and catabolism doesn’t give you the energy reserves you need for that kind of running. I am willing to bet that you would be likely to pass out and hurt yourself.

Here’s some more information:

Several years ago the American Museum of Natural History had a really cool exhibition called Dinosaurs Among Us.

The exhibition is now closed, but most of the information is still up on the web site which you will find interesting. Many avian dinosaurs had feathers and other bird characteristics. Ancient birds had evolved and co-existed with the dinosaurs for a time.

No, one is taken. That’s the beholder’s share. Like the Bible, it isn’t a scientific picture.

Linnaean taxonomy can be arbitrary at times. This is why biology has largely moved to cladistics which is objective and non-arbitrary. A clade is rooted on an ancestor and it includes all descendants, no matter how much some of those lineages changed compared to the others. The problem with Linnaean taxonomy is that it snapped a branch off of the tree of life and reattached it lower on the tree. That’s not how evolution works.

Getting back to the topic at hand, dinosaurs didn’t go extinct because there are still living dinosaurs. We call them birds. Birds are dinosaurs because their ancestor was a dinosaur. In the same way, a dachsund and great dane never stopped being dogs because their common ancestor was a dog. No matter how much dogs change they will always be dogs.