Special providence, again

Continuing the discussion from Thoughts on spiritual beings?:

No, he doesn’t. How do you think he does?

Glad you agree.

You are twisting what I meant, and you know it.

No, he does not obviously preclude it. Your presuppositions are in error.

How do you think he precludes it?.

I know you jumped to some peculiar conclusion like that but I never agreed to anything of the sort. I will have to track that down and I find out what I REALLY said.

Found it.

It was a discussion about the phrase “power of love” where I was explaining that love is the opposite of power because it requires choice. Then you jump in quoting Phillipians 2:6-8 claimng it had some bearing on the issue. I found that very puzzling, and you refused to explain a single thing about it.

My best guess is that you seem to be equating “special providence” with absolute control over people. And that equivocation is where we disagree. God can have a special providence for someone without absolute control over that person. The examples in the Bible are legion. God often has high hopes for people and then they do something terrible disappointing Him greatly. I guess you are the Calvinist Klax used to be and see no role for choice or consent any more than he does. And no wonder you are up in arms since I just said his universalism is better than that. After all if God is going to force Himself on people and control everything, then it only makes sense that a God of Love would do so for everyone’s salvation and not force people into hell, torment and/or destruction.

Y’all, quit it. if you’re both only here to poke each other, not everyone needs to see your squabbling. Unlisting this thread so it doesn’t grace the homepage any more. Take it to a PM if necessary, or you could also just leave each other alone…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.