Speaking of the inspired word of God

Christy, I think the difference in our views is that I recognize the scriptures record and include special revelation, and the Bible never presents itself, in its entirety, as a special revelation.

To call the entire Bible, every word, a special revelation is not supported by scripture itself and is just a man-made philosophy.

For example, Paul wrote a letter to a church including the statement listing some people that he baptized and adding that he could not remember who else he baptized. Do you think it was a special revelation that Paul could not remember who he baptized? If not, the Bible is not, in its entirety, a special revelation.

Thank you for your comment. The book I quoted is well worth reading.

I think that statement of movement can be found in scripture, but not about writing.

Yes, that verse is part of the unit that as a whole gets designated special revelation. Special revelation, Scripture, and God’s word are labels for the Bible as a whole, not philosophical claims about each individual sentence.

2 Likes

You left out “the word of God” :slightly_smiling_face:.

We disagree. I can’t see how Paul’s forgetting who he baptized as a special revelation from God.

Your position seems to be that anything in the Bible, even if it was not revealed by God and even it is an error from the human who wrote the original text, is a special revelation from God. I find that quite unreasonable and completely unsubstantiated in scripture.

This reminds me of the OT laws concerning purification. Something that has been ritually purified did not impart that purification on anything it touched. And special revelation from God does convert anything written along side it into special revelation.

This is what I don’t get. It’s not something that as Christians we get to make personal assessments about. The Bible is God’s revelation. That is a Christian doctrine. It doesn’t really matter what you personally “see.” Christianity is a confessional religion, not a smorgasbord like Buddhism or Hinduism where you get to pick your favorite parts and practice it any way you see fit.

Nope that is you imposing your view and idiosyncratic definition of special revelation on everyone else. “My view” is the standard Christian affirmation that the Bible as a whole is God’s word, special revelation. Revelation is an assessment of the function of the whole, not an evaluation of the content of individual sentences.

Jesus was special revelation. That doesn’t mean everything Jesus ever said or did was a message directly from God.

2 Likes

I know you say that, but that is not what the Bible claims to be.

The scriptures are, as Metzger, wrote: “the extant literary deposit of the direct and indirect apostolic witness on which the later witness of the Church depends.”

The Bible records, among other things, God’s revelation. It is not all of God’s revelation and it is not all God’s revelation.

You have a philosophy about the Bible that is not consistent with the Bible.

Some Christians claim that as a doctrine. Others do not.

No! Really?!

I don’t know about that. We could view the entire life of Jesus on earth as revealing God.

Yes, Dale, really.

Look at the ancient creeds. See if you can find Christy’s philosophy in them.

My “philosophy about the Bible” is consistent with established Christian doctrine. If you want to argue that established Christian doctrine is wrong, you are going to have to come up with something better. Again, how about you actually interact with some of the scholarship I have posted here instead of just constantly repeating your opinion.

2 Likes

…the word of God

Are we up to 20,000 times yet, in toto?

Why did you need to reply to irony that was agreeing with you, and with something self-evident? Of course you’re not going to find “Christy’s philosophy” explicitly delineated in the creeds.

1 Like

Thanks Christy…what a conversation trail you have going here!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts, Cobra…

“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work” – 2 Timothy 3:16 (ESV)

NRSV starts “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction…” you get the idea

“All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true…” (NLT)

If they were inspired (or moved) to compose something good for teaching, hopefully there were some words that got written in there at the same time. But yes, I will look for Metzger’s book on Canon of the New Testament…His book on the text is helpful.

No, your philosophy is consistent with one subset of Christian doctrine, accepted by some Christians and rejected by others.

Many others here disagree with your position on the Bible.

You see it as having human origin, others disagree.

You see it as not being inerrant, others disagree.

Yes, you can quote some Christians who agree with you.

You cannot quote the early creeds that consolidated and presented doctrine that agree with you on the Bible.

Please refer me to several of the subset of Christian scholars who do not affirm that Scripture is special revelation and that it is inspired.

I don’t doubt that “some Christians” reject it. “Some Christians” here in Mexico believe certain relics have healing powers. Lot of Christians believe things because they are ignorant of Christian doctrine, not because there are legitimate heterodoxies within Christian doctrine on the issue at hand.

Which Christian scholars or authorities, please? I don’t really care that three random forum users don’t like my wording. Do you know how many flaky opinionated people spout nonsense on the internet? Lots. So, not convincing at all if we are talking about what constitutes Christian doctrine.

Find me one systematic theology textbook that does not discuss a doctrine of revelation and a doctrine of inspiration.

So? Many aspects of my Christian doctrine are not found in a few lines of a Creed which were intended to be basic formulations. Entire 500 page books are written trying to summarize all the Christian doctrines that have been developed over the history of the Church. I think you are confused about who needs to convince who here. You are the one who is saying established Christian doctrine is not valid. So the burden of proof is on you, not me.

1 Like

Hi, Robin.

Thanks for the post.

2 Timothy 3 is the passage most often quoted in this type of discussion. I encourage you to look at it closely in context and with alternate translations. Most translations are intentional mistranslations. Here is the American Standard Version, which is closer to the Greek:

2 Timothy 3:14-17 American Standard Version (ASV)

14 But abide thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of [a]whom thou hast learned them; 15 and that from a babe thou hast known the sacred writings which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 [b]Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for [c]instruction which is in righteousness: 17 that the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.

Note:

1. In context this refers to the sacred writings Timothy had known from his youth. That would have been the Old Testament, likely the Septuagint.

2. The better translation is “every inspired scripture,” not “all scripture is inspired.” Look at the Greek and you will see no “is.” The Greek form of “every inspired scripture” is more than 20 times in the scriptures, including “Every good tree bears good fruit.” We would not translate that “every tree is good.”

People try to turn that passage into wild claims like “God authored the Bible.”

Even the ASV quoted above inserts an “is” that is not in the Greek text.

One of my friends who is an expert in Koine Greek translates it closer to this:

14 But abide thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; and that from a babe thou hast known the sacred writings which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus: every scripture inspired of God, also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness: that the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.

Sorry, Vance, I’m not satisfied with a vague appeal to authority. Can I have a name, please?