Speaking of the inspired word of God

That is all you have Dale, a web search?

Can’t you simply read the text yourself?

Look, I will even post the passages for you:

Mark 6:6-13 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Then he went about among the villages teaching. 7 He called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. 8 He ordered them to take nothing for their journey except a staff; no bread, no bag, no money in their belts; 9 but to wear sandals and not to put on two tunics. 10 He said to them, “Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave the place. 11 If any place will not welcome you and they refuse to hear you, as you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.” 12 So they went out and proclaimed that all should repent. 13 They cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them.

Mark says “take nothing…except a staff…”

Luke 9 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Then Jesus[a] called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, 2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. 3 He said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money—not even an extra tunic. 4 Whatever house you enter, stay there, and leave from there. 5 Wherever they do not welcome you, as you are leaving that town shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” 6 They departed and went through the villages, bringing the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

Luke says: “take…no staff”

This is not difficult. You don’t have to run somewhere like the AIG, which has a terrible reputation, when the scriptures are simple and clear.

So, only one question, did Jesus tell the disciples to take a staff or did Jesus forbid the disciples from taking a staff?

Simple question. You should not need a website.

You made the effort to post the scripture but couldn’t trouble yourself to follow the links. They nicely refute your declaration of “mutually exclusive.”

What is so anathema about a web search?
There is no shame in looking things up and finding other input.
Reading the text in English doesn’t cut it.
You have a real problem.

No wonder this conversation is endless. You may continue it by yourself.

I have read the web search results on this error many times.

They simply deny what the text of the Bible actually says.

It is not a hard question that you are running away from at full speed:
Did Jesus tell the disciples to take a staff or not to take a staff?

If you don’t know, just confess you don’t know!

Without going any further with these language comparisons, one simply must understand that the Greek language (like most languages) is flexible enough so that sometimes two writers can use the same word to mean different things, and sometimes they can use different words to mean the same thing (as indicated by the following chart,* which serves as a summary of the comparisons and contrasts made in this article).

I’m going to leave number one, because we obviously disagree that there is a situation to correct, but good luck with that.

2 and 3, I agree, but your problem is with inerrancy, but you keep responding to people simply affirming very general doctrines of revelation or inspiration as if they are making claims about inerrancy. I would bet most of us here don’t see things like Dale.
Obviously the Bible is not “perfect” from some fact-checking standpoint. There are spelling and grammatical errors. There is ancient science and cosmology. There is sexism and racism. There are details from parallel accounts that contradict each other. I think if you want to say it’s perfect in everything it intends to teach, sure, whatever. I don’t understand why maintaining a perfect Bible is such a priority, but if that is the gymnastics you have to do to keep your job or church membership or prestigious party invitations, more power to you.

How do you see the inspiration of the Scriptures as different, from say, the Holy Spirit inspiring me to write a really insightful article? Or inspiring Chris Tomlin to write a really great song?

And if you are so down on the canonization process, and the Bible isn’t God’s word in your estimation, why do you respect the Bible?

1 Like

I don’t see a difference.

Malachi 3:6

For I the Lord do not change

I am not “down” on the canonization process.
The Bible is not “God’s word” because it never claims to be and actually claims to be written by humans.
And I respect the Bible and value it for the same reason Bruce Metzger explains:
“In short, the Scriptures, according to the early Fathers, are indeed inspired, but that is not the reason they are authoritative. They are authoritative, and hence canonical, because they are the extant literary deposit of the direct and indirect apostolic witness on which the later witness of the Church depends.”

Excerpt From
The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance
Bruce M Metzger

This material may be protected by copyright.

Dale, I did not ask you about Matthew.

I asked why Mark said “take nothing…except a staff”
And
Luke said “take no staff.”

Pretending those don’t contradict is simply denying the text. Is that what a Bible-believing Christian should or would do?

If you think this is unclear in Koine Greek, you are wrong. The gentleman who wrote the textbook used by students learning Greek comments on the text here:

But you do see a difference between what I write and the Bible, right? Or do you see my blog posts and Paul as equally fallible?

Ask Dale. That is what he is doing. Not me.

Or ask Bill.

I believe in a perfect Savior, not a perfect Bible.

1 Like

The difference is that the Bible has been vetted by the canonization process.

But that does not mean that the inspiration was different. Why would you think it is?

It may be a test of your humility, not entirely unlike this.

Here’s another Metzger quote for you ;):

“Jesus accepted the Hebrew Scriptures as the word of God and frequently argued from them in his teaching and controversies.”
from The Canon of the New Testament

1 Like

Because I believe the Bible is special revelation and my blog post is not. I have a pretty standard Protestant doctrine of revelation. I think the Church would be fine without my blog post. The Church would not exist without the Bible. So I believe God willed and acted more directly and intentionally to bring about and preserve Scripture. I think it involves much more divine intervention in human history than just a different “vetting process.”

3 Likes

I think that was the Jewish view of the Hebrew Scriptures, which probably got carried over to some extent, yes.

That’s funny. :slightly_smiling_face:

I believe that Irenaeus made a “list” — not necessarily official – in the 2nd century. It included most of what is now considered the NT, though not the Book of Revelation. Will have to look into this Council of Carthage…

Interesting, though very lengthy, quote from Metzger. I have read his Text of the NT…would have to consider more on this…but inspiration is one thing for a writer or thinker – quite another if one believes the inspiration from God… I think the very last sentence quoted explains what is now meant when people say inspired, that is “the extant literary deposit of the direct and indirect apostolic witness on which the later witness of the Church depends/.” Does not the NT refer to various apostles as being moved by God in what they did?

Shawn…there is no channeling here. There is the Holy Spirit, Who is the third member of the Trinity.-- in other words, God…That is the One to Whom Jesus referred in the remarks you quoted in John…Channeling generally refers to occult activities, and there is perhaps a spirit heard through :“channeling” but it is not a, or the, spirit of truth.

In the fourth century many things happened, just as in the fifth century and the twentieth. But the canon was closed long ago, Those are other subjects altogether.

Dear Robin,
Did you know that Joshua was present in the tabernacle with Moses when God spoke to him? It was Joshua who led those who followed God’s Word into the promised land. Moses and the others who did not follow the Word channeled through Joshua were not allowed!

The fear of Channelling the Holy Spirit is deeply set in Christianity, yet many claim to be inspired by Holy Spirit. Channelling the Holy Spirit, for everyone to hear, would expose all of the false claims that religious leaders make. And like Moses, they too would be ostracized. It is the meek who inherit the Kingdom.
Best Wishes, Shawn