Speaking of the inspired word of God

John 14:26 was a direct comment by Jesus to the Apostles at the last supper. Extending it to all the writers of the New Testament, even the anonymous ones, and to every word they wrote, even the ones they claim to be personal opinion, seems a philosophy and hope more than a revelation of scripture.

Extending it to believers today is an evened longer leap, but it is one I have seen done.

On your first paragraph, you seem to have misread my posts or drawn a spurious conclusion from them. All I wrote was that the writings of the early church leaders and their us of the word translated inspiration is helpful in understanding the word inspiration in the Bible, where it is only used once.

No one, certainly not me, said insight is not available from the NT.

No disagreement here.

Why limit this comment when we don’t limit others. Or should we not be doing as commanded in Matthew 28:19-20?

I explained my sense of inspiration above and I never said every word was necessarily inspired.

So what exactly do you think inspiration means based on this understanding? You have never said.

1 Like

Don’t we limit it? Is every single Christian on earth commanded to go to to all nations and make disciples? Have you?

Yes. Ethne are people groups, not places on a map. Christians can stay in their “Jerusalem” (Acts 1:8) and disciple the nations though, not everyone needs to go to the ends of the earth.

3 Likes

That accords well with my perspective (which of course is biblical, it goes without saying… tongue in cheek :slightly_smiling_face:):

I disagree we are all—everyone—called to go to go to all nations, or to all of the world, as the body of Christ has many members with different talents and missions.

These commands were given to the 11. And they did spread out. Tradition has Thomas going to India. Others to Armenia.

Mark 16:14-18 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Jesus Commissions the Disciples

14 Later he appeared to the eleven themselves as they were sitting at the table; and he upbraided them for their lack of faith and stubbornness, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen.[a] 15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the good news[b] to the whole creation. 16 The one who believes and is baptized will be saved; but the one who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: by using my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes in their hands,[c] and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

And, as mentioned before, not all believers are led into “all truth.” That was a promise to the Apostles. If we were led into all truth, there would not be so many denominations and theology forums would have no disagreements.

And the Apostles were led into the startling (to them and other Jews) truth that the church was open to the Gentiles without the obligation to keep the law of Moses. It did take Peter having a vision three times then a spontaneous outpouring of charismatic gifts to convince them.

1 Like

That brings up a related point. Are current days tongues and interpretation and prophetic utterances the result of inspiration?

You are misreading the command. The commission to make disciples applies to all believers. It is not limited to a single ethnic group. (Remember the gospel for the Gentiles was a mind-blowing thing back in the day.) It’s a corporate command to take that disciple-making to all nations, obviously every individual is not going to make disciples from every nation. But every believer should be making disciples from at least one people group. The Evangelistic nature of Christianity is not limited to the Great Commission or the work of the apostles. I’m not going to debate this if you argue it is, I’m just going to chalk it up to one more area you are completely out of step with the historic Christian faith and seem to be inventing your own on the fly.

It is not that I am misreading the command, it is that you are misreading or misinterpreting my posts.

My comments were directly related to the topic of whether we all should go to different nations as missionaries. You seem to have read into my comments something that was never there.

My point is that some are called to stay where they are, and this Commission was given to the 11.

By the way, you are quick to insult based on your misreadings and misinterpretations. This is not proper or gracious.

Are they recorded in the Word of God? If not, then no they are not inspired.

And I still don’t know what you think inspiration means.

If the commission was only given to the 11 does that mean we shouldn’t be sending out missionaries?

No! It was an objection to the claim that we are all called to be missionaries. Some people do not have either the temperament or the abilities to do any such thing. The world would collapse if everyone did the same thing. Civilization exists because we specialize. The notion that in order to be a good Christian everyone must live their life exactly as Christ did is just wrong headed.

1 Like

My apologies for whatever insult you inferred. I would add that you are quick to infer insults from your own misreadings and misinterpretations, which is also not gracious and definitely part of the reason I approach you somewhat defensively.

3 Likes

No one actually claimed that though, if missionary means going to another country. Vance said that is what the Great Commission implies and it was only directed at the 11 apostles. I said all Christians are called to make disciples, because the Great Commission does apply to all Christians and the Great Commission is not the only place in the Bible Christians are told to spread the gospel. You just don’t have to leave home to make disciples.

1 Like

I clicked a like on that post not to takes sides but from a similar experience that the first ad-hominem is often an accusation of ad-hominem. I say… just keep a lid on the personal comments altogether and stick to the topic!

So… the topic was… the great commission and the feeling of both 03Cobra and myself that this doesn’t mean everybody has to be a missionary. When Jesus says to be a light on a hill, I don’t think he meant works of service with a Bible behind your back which you are ready to whip out any moment.

1 Like

Agreed. But I also don’t think what you describe is a very accurate characterization of biblical “mission” either.

I interpret this to mean that you think only things found in the Bible are inspired, and the Holy Spirit speaking through a person through either prophecy or tongues and interpretation is not inspired.

Did I understand your post properly?

Amen

1 Corinthians 12:27-31 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers; then deeds of power, then gifts of healing, forms of assistance, forms of leadership, various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But strive for the greater gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

Ephesians 4:9-13 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

9 (When it says, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended[a] into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is the same one who ascended far above all the heavens, so that he might fill all things.) 11 The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.

And:
“ Preach the Gospel at all times . When necessary, use words.” This is, perhaps, the best known and most commonly quoted statement made by St . Francis of Assisi.

Anyone actively using their spiritual gifts to edify the Church is participating in the corporate commission to make disciples.

2 Likes