Should "Bible" = "Word of God"?

I thought of that codex too. You do know, I suppose, that it included numerous books not now considered canonical.

I agree, and I further note that inspiration was never a criterion for canonicity.

Fair enough. Happy to concede the point to you. :slight_smile:

Gish Gallop? Come on, Vance, that’s a bit unfair don’t you think? You pretty much just judged the intention of my heart from the other side of the world! That just no cricket, old chap.

As to Hebrews 3:7-4:7, I did state my opinion:

That said, here are the relevant verses you requested:

“So, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts…” Hebrews 3:7-8 (NIV2011 Emphasis added)

God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” Hebrews 4:7 (NIV2011 Emphasis added)

The writer views the quotation of the Psalm as both the words of the Holy Spirit (the words of God) and the words of David.

2 Likes

You do understand that Psalm 95 presents itself as repeating the voice of God (including some phrases from the Torah), with the introduction that we should listen to his voice:

O that today you would listen to his voice!
8 Do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah,
as on the day at Massah in the wilderness,
9 when your ancestors tested me,
and put me to the proof, though they had seen my work.
10 For forty years I loathed that generation
and said, “They are a people whose hearts go astray,
and they do not regard my ways.”
11 Therefore in my anger I swore,
“They shall not enter my rest.”

There is no doubt in my mind that David was a prophet. You aren’t proposing some prophetic utterances in the Bible make the entire Bible the Word of God, are you?

Does a quote of Trump in the newspaper make the entire newspaper the “Word of Trump?”

No, you asked me four questions and you gave me a passage to look up that you didn’t quote. I do my part. If I want you to look at a scripture, I copy and paste it.

God works wonderfully in his providence, including in and through the minds of men. You do believe in God’s providence, I hope. I can give you personal examples if you don’t have any of your own.

I can buy into your analogy inasmuch as Trump may think that he’s God, but that’s where it stops, too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

How nice for you. Anyone that may pick and choose what they want to believe is inspired is free to decide that he was not, too.

Have you confused the gift of prophecy with inspiration?

That is something of a drive-by post.

If you can think of a real objection, I will be happy to read it.

Good grief, man:

The Gish gallop is a technique used during debating that focuses on overwhelming an opponent with as many arguments as possible, without regard for accuracy or strength of the arguments.

I asked you a clarifying question about an apparent False-Dichotomy. Where I come from that is called being charitable.

I then asked a question about Hebrews which I answered myself and provided the relevant verses as reference. Generally, it is incumbent on the writer to provide sources (which I did) and incumbent on the reader to check the sources were used accurately (Cf. all academic and/or technical writing).

Finally, I asked you two follow up questions on your view of John’s gospel, which I later conceded.

A clarification, a self-answered question with references, and two follow-ups questions are hardly “overwhelming an opponent with as many arguments as possible”.

2 Likes

I’m free to believe that any scripture that says someone was a prophet was not inspired, my choice, right?

I think you are confused thinking that you have the gift of prophecy to determine what is inspired and what is not.

How do you know what is inspired and what is not?

I accept it all as inspired, don’t I.

What alternative is there?

Don’t you have to choose whether you accept the inspiration of the Book of Mormon, the Koran, the books of Maccabees?

Dale, give a real answer rather than a drive-by post.

What is the “it” in your post? The 80 books of the 1611 KJV? The 22 books of the Church of the East New Testament? The large canon of the Ethiopian Church? The Book of Mormon?

Dale, give a real, specific answer rather than a drive-by post.

We all have to make choices and decisions, even if that decision is to pretend nothing exists except the first Bible you were shown.

To disbelieve all of it.

There will be an accusation either way, a drive-by post or a Gish Gallup.

And my ‘drive-by post’ was just some levity – sorry you didn’t see it that way. Your analogy is still flawed.

The most obvious flaw would be that at the newspaper the authors are not all men of God. If they were all Trumpeters, then the whole newspaper could be the ‘word of Trump’, I suppose.

Speaking of Gish Gallups.

Do the subscribers to those works accept them piecemeal?