Silence: A Gut-Wrenching Look At Faith

Hope it’s okay to post Zack Hunt’s review of Silence here. (Film reviews are not unprecedented here, because Mark Sprinkle used to work for BioLogos, holding the position of “Senior Fellow of Arts and Humanities.”) His posts are still on this site.

Anyway, I thought some might like to read Zack Hunt’s review:

Silence: A Gut-Wrenching Look at Faith

1 Like

Thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing the film. From the review , it sounds as though the film does not shy away from difficult questions.

3 Likes

It definitely doesn’t shy away from some tough questions.

I also cried. It is the first time I actually cried from watching a movie besides the first Land Before Time lol.

1 Like

Another quality Christian that might be worth watching is "Hacksaw Ridge, " about a conscientious objector who gets drafted and goes to war without a gun, working as a medic. He suffers greatly for his convictions but saves a lot of men. I haven’t yet seen either of these two movies but hope to see them soon.

btw, there is a facebook page dedicated to bible films: https://www.facebook.com/biblefilms/. Might be worth checking out!

We saw the movie this weekend. Excellent, and it puts the little verbal barbs suffered here in perspective.

1 Like

I don’t watch the Oscars, but I’d be thrilled if it wins one.

1 Like

Good point. We also like to whine about a “war on Christmas.”

Silence got one nomination for best cinematography. I think it got tough contenders, but I wouldn’t know since I didn’t watch the other movies in that category.

I think Silence is pretty underrated because not a lot of people including my church friends didn’t even know about the movie. I wish more Christians watch it because I want to see a revival of Christian art.

1 Like

Usually Christian films (even awful ones!) are marketed to church groups and that helps sales, but I am unaware of that happening with this movie. Perhaps Evangelicals were put off by the Catholicism in this movie. The R rating and scenes of torture were probably also a factor. If it wins any Academy Awards that should help sales. As for me, I will have to wait until it comes out on DVD before I get to see it.

Hacksaw Ridge is supposed to be another really good Christian movie.

Good idea about a revival of Christian art. The American Bible Society in Manhattan used to have a museum of biblical art, but that division has closed down.

1 Like

Cough Passion of the Christ cough

I do know people who were unable to go to that because of the violence. And POTC did a LOT of marketing directly to Christians via their pastors.

cough Passion of the Christ cough

I haven’t seen the movie, but I suspect the two biggest reasons behind the lackluster response are: Insufficient marketing plan and (most importantly) a faith story that doesn’t give church people warm fuzzies after watching it. The ending of the movie, as I understand it, leaves some pretty big open questions about faith and apostasy.

True and true. Driving home with my wife after the movie was quiet and subdued as we pondered it all. Later we had some good discussions about the questions raised, especially how you sometimes can’t judge a person’s heart based on outward expression, as well as wondering what we would do personally in those situations, and whether paradoxically suffering and martyrdom can be expression of someones self pride rather than that of humility and submission to God’s will, as well as others.

Hey, why don’t you add an “Arts” category for fine, performing, and popular arts of interest to the Christian?

Yes, most Evangelicals would say you’re either saved or not saved. End of story. Everybody who liked this movie should go to IMDB.com and similar sites to give it a rating and maybe leave a review.

We have a “tag” called “science and the arts” for posts pertaining to that. I didn’t know if you were directing the comment at me.

Thanks, I didn’t know about that.

The editorial team is interested in covering more stories at the intersection of science and the arts in the future. Several years back, that was more of a focus for BioLogos, but it has tapered off for a variety of reasons.

2 Likes

We used to have Mark Sprinkle, the BioLogos Senior Fellow of Arts and Humanities. It will be good to have the arts back here.

Yes, the key is to stay focused on our central mission (the “evolutionary creation” conversation) while still covering the broader intersection of science, faith, and culture.

1 Like