Should BioLogos produce science textbooks for college use?

[quote=“Eddie, post:131, topic:3653”]
You want the discussion to be on issues rather than people.[/quote]
Yes. Maybe I need to define those terms for you? Let me know and I will.

That’s because we don’t share your strange obsession with people (bolded above) and books over issues and facts. Why don’t you pick an issue and present it yourself without even mentioning any people?

[quote]Instead, what I hear is about people – that Mazur is a journalist, a nut job, unqualified, biased, etc. How do the views of the biologists she interviews become wrong because she is the one who interviews them? How do their views become not worth listening to because they are found in her book?[/quote]I’ve written nothing about Mazur. Eddie, you are obsessed with people to the exclusion of issues.

Because there’s no need to filter issues through people and books as per your obsession. No one has claimed that Shapiro has not published an article lately. In fact, Shapiro has published many articles since he stopped being an active researcher. How many of them have you read? How many include treatments of the same issues covered in the book?

Why has Eddie not presented a single one of the intellectually significant facts he claims are included in the book? Remember that you wrote,

So pick one, Eddie. Provide the details. Remove all the people. Stick to the issues.

Yet you didn’t even notice that people posting here do precisely what Shapiro doesn’t do (active research in evolution)! That’s the problem with your focus on people and books instead of ideas and facts.

Then stop with the names, Eddie. Tell us which specific mechanisms are included and excluded when you write “neo-Darwinism.” Better yet, eliminate all names from your writing here (Darwin is a name, BTW).

Books are not issues. Let’s discuss mechanisms themselves. There’s no need to divide people.

Unbelievable!

You’re not discussing the issues when you continue to be obsessed with attributing everything, literally everything, to people in what appears to be a deliberate effort to be divisive.

But you don’t respond to him on the issues either. You fling names and books back in response.

You still haven’t responded to this criticism:

From http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v28n2/evolution.shtml

[quote]Nor has his [Lynch’s] research been ignored by the intelligent design (ID) community. “I push this idea of what we call non-Darwinian processes–drift and mutation,” says Lynch. “But people in the ID community always take it out of context. They hear ‘non-Darwinian,’ and they read that as non-evolution, because they equate evolution with natural selection. So they love to quote me.”

It’s a subtle but significant point. Natural selection, sometimes called “Darwinian selection,” is only one of several mechanisms by which evolution proceeds. Even Charles Darwin himself argued that natural selection was not the only agent of evolution. Lynch agrees, emphasizing the role of chance events in genome evolution.[/quote]

Just sayin’…

It is probably worth noting that evolutionary theory of the sort we’re talking about here has almost nothing to do with my professional work. In that work, I’m interested in whether alleles are under purifying selection, in what alleles have been driven by positive selection, in what traits they might be related to, in what neutral variation can tell us about population history. Questions about the origin of animal body plans or about the genomic prerequisites for multicellularity is not the kind of thing most biologists deal with.

On Denton’s book. . . For me, Denton has a major hurdle to overcome, which is that I read his first book about evolution. Everyone makes mistakes, but to completely misunderstand the core of the subject you’re writing an entire book about, well, it doesn’t invite repeat customers.

1 Like

It had nothing to do with being pro- or anti-evolution. It was that he didn’t understand basic expectations of evolution. He thought that genetic divergence data contradicted common descent, when in fact the data he presented were entirely in line with what we would expect to see.

And Denton’s error is obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of evolutionary theory.

Denton himself even admitted it on his own web site, but described his error as “some of the arguments are out of date,” which isn’t really true. Denton’s “molecular equidistance” error has always been simply wrong. Steve’s “Completely misunderstand the core of the subject you’re writing an entire book about” is not an exaggeration, it is a very accurate characterization of the magnitude of this blunder.

It’s worth noting that the wider ID community still embraces the error as truth, as can be seen in the graph at the bottom of gpuccio’s UD post:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/homologies-differences-and-information-jumps/

Note that gpuccio has put modern organisms on the X axis, while representing the X axis as time in the discussion. There are other major errors, too, but that’s the Dentonian one. None of the ID proponents seem to have noticed.

1 Like

In the Wikipedia article, we find this statement and footnotes:

“Denton describes himself as an agnostic.[3][4]”

[Footnote 3: Stephen C. Meyer. Signature in the Cell. Harper Collins. Retrieved 13 November 2010. Michael Denton, an agnostic, argues for intelligent design in Evolution: A Theory in Crisis, 326–43.]

Page 557:

Footnote #4:
"Michael Denton, an agnostic, argues for intelligent
design in EVOLUTION: A THEORY IN CRISIS, 326-343. Antony
Flew, a longtime champion of atheism, recently announced
his abandonment of atheism based on the evidence of
intelligent design, but emphasized that his religion was far from
conventional (much less sectarian): "I’m thinking of a
God very different from the God of the Christian and
far and away from the God of Islam, because both are
depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam
Husseins" (“Famous Atheist Now Believes in God,”
http://abcnews.go.com/US/WireStory?id=315976 ).
See also Flew, “There is a God.”

[Footnote 4: Tom Frame. Evolution, Creationism, and Intelligent Design. Retrieved 13 November 2010. Michael Denton, Darwin and Intelligent Design In contrast to the other would-be pioneers of intelligent design, Denton describes himself as an agnostic, and his book was released by a secular publishing house.]

@Eddie, looks like I have to change my claim against Denton!

He doesn’t claim the God of Abraham is the Designer - - but he does claim A GOD! (“Im thinking of a God very different from the [Biblical] God”) . . . probably more like the “God of the Unitarian Universalists.”

@Eddie

I think you deserve to be rescued from your sarcasm. The Wiki reference cited two books. And the Wiki reference correctly cited them… because the quote I am relying on is from one of the books. So criticizing the quote I’m using because of Wiki is like criticizing the report of LIncoln’s death because it was mentioned by someone’s crazy aunt.

I was fooled by the use of the term “agnostic” … Denton doesn’t seem to be one. So unless Denton endorses the PROMETHEUS scenario for the beginning of life on Earth, his views are classic “God is the Designer” of the Universe - - just not the BIBLICAL notion of God.

George

Don’t know which editions you might have …

Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design
By Stephen C. Meyer
Page 556

FN 4

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Evolution in the Antipodes: Charles Darwin and Australia
By Tom Frame

Page 291

@Eddie,

This is what we have now. You had less.

George

I concur. Denton doesn’t seem like an agnostic to me.

[UPDATE: And yet his latest book now being discussed here (as of Feb 9, 2016) … sure doesn’t sound very religious at all …]

1 Like

I must agree. BioLogos should not have to be Calvinistic or Arminian anymore than it has to be Anti-Chiliast or Chiliast. These are issues unrelated to science and its relationship to theology. The Apostles’ Creed does not mention these things; therefore, why should BioLogos. Baptists call themselves moderate Calvinist or Arminians. As a Southern Baptist, I am a two point Calvinist and a two point Arminian. Let this foundation stay away from that.

Charles

2 Likes