Should "Bible" = "Word of God"?

Why? What right have you to decide that I would ignore any part of the bible? Just because something is not literal or face value does not make it worthless or meaningless. Or just because something is imperfect does not make in unable to function. (That would negate 99% of technology).
The “all or Nothing” principle is flawed.

Richard

2 Likes

Perhaps we need a revised definition of “truth” or “correct”?

Just because I might dispute some of the Scientific assertions, or see some factual contradictions does not mean that I am just rejecting whole chunks of Scripture. That would be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Richard

In general, the only explanation offered for those obvious errors is a denial of what the text actually says.

That is a difficult or impossible thing to prove, as the entire Holy Land has not been excavated and there are many possible explanations.

What right have I got. That’s funny. Anyone who says that there are errors in the Bible has declared their right to decide what is erroneous and what is not, and along with that the obvious implicit declaration a right to ignore said errors as having any validity.

Archaeologists have no problem excavating a ruined city and determining when it was destroyed. C-14 dating works very well for this date range and dating pottery is also well known method. We are not talking about absence of evidence but plain evidence that is not controversial.

See the Wikipedia article for the Battle of Jericho for a link to the C-14 dating of this site.

Absolutely not. You have no right to make such a declaration. It is insulting and offensive.
There is a big difference between declaring something false in terms of science and or reality and ignoring anything Spiritual or theological. And you are insulting both me and my faith.
At this stage I will just leave you pondering how much of Paul’s instructions you take on board? (women? Slavery?)Or perhaps which of the many laws in the Old Testament you do not uphold? (there are nearly three books full)
Everyone picks and chooses, even you.

Richard

1 Like

It’s not me declaring anything or anything about my rights – it’s the obvious logical conclusion.

And you are good with straw men in your examples.

You should add IMHO to your declaration. (Not that I see any humility)

I am sorry, but you are just wrong. You have made a declaration based on your view of Scripture. I would be grateful if you would stop this now. I have been polite so far…
(and you should remove your comments about “Straw men” before I give you some actual Scripture.)

Richard

I am quite familiar with scripture, and my statement about straw men stands.

You are wise in suggesting that this end, because it is useless for me to discuss anything with someone who does not use logic well.

1 Cor 14: (NIV Bible Gateway)
33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church

1 Tim 2 (NIV Bible Gateway)

Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. 9 I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

1 Tim 6 (NIV Bible Gateway)
All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2 Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare[[a]] of their slaves

1 Peter 2 (NIV Bible Gateway)

17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God.

Eph 6 (NIV Bible Gateway)

4 Fathers,[[b] do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

9 And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

I am sure that everyone accepts all this as proper and correct, without question or disagreement.

Do I really need to start quoting from Leviticus or Numbers? let alone some of the instructions from Ecclesiastes.

Richard

Are we subject to Mosaic law? No, we are subject only to the laws of love, which we should want to obey. Your straw men should win an award.

Per your request, I will no longer reply to you about this.

Romans 14 (NIV Bible Gateway)

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another.

I have had enough of your hypocrisy. But go in peace.

Richard

I wonder how we know Romans 14 is not full of error. Do we have the right to declare it is not, if we allow ourselves the so-called ‘right’ to declare other scripture erroneous? (This is my not replying to Richard. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

2 Likes

Matt 5

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

It would appear that Christ does not agree with you. (or am I taking Him too literally?). If you are going to take Scripture at face value, then you must obey it all. Not just the bits that you think are appropriate to you. If not, then you have no right to question my usage or understanding of Scripture.

Richard

But how do they know the Biblical text is about that specific location as those ruins?

The least of these…

The Lord’s Day of rest.

That’s silly. Anyone has the right. What is it with @RichardG and rights?

Despite your assurances, you persist, if only in the second person.

And you casually ignore the Scriptures presented to you, or laugh them off. (Your sarcastic approach to Romans 14 did you no credit)

I will stop now, before a Moderator takes offence.

Richard

1 Like