Should "Bible" = "Word of God"?

Does this mean that you think that Scripture is some how perfect? Does it have to be?

As for “proofs” of imperfection? Where do you want to start? How much time have you got?

As for “picking and choosing”? That is so simplistic and erroneous. It is not about emphasising or ignoring.it is about understanding. And not just assuming that everything is obvious and literal.

Inerrancy gives a certain mindset about usage and quoting that causes more harm than good.

Richard

1 Like

Thomas Jefferson and you have the same approach. He took a blade to his Bible and cut out what he didn’t like.

I don’t think Richard does that. Why do you?

Did you perhaps leave out a comma?

908B6717-1922-4B02-A0DC-1E9FCD43C951

2 Likes

I was just reflecting what Vance said to ensure I understood what he was saying. Which seems to be some people when they realize the Bible is imperfect lose their faith. And yet he believes the Bible is imperfect and still has his faith.

I already said the Bible contains major errors which you must have missed.

But it is about understanding the bits you believe to be correct so it makes sense to ask “How do you decide which bits are correct?

For what it is worth, I do not support the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy.

1 Like

Care to share an example of this evidence?

No, Dale, there is no missing comma.

I do think, in general, and I recognize your comment is not humor but rudeness.

Sure, Bill.

My wife has had a number of prophetic dreams in which she dreamed the future and was protected as a result.

In addition, she has had a “word of knowledge” which protected our daughter.

What major errors do you see?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I was talking about the latter sentence.

Did you mean it as written or did you mean, “Why, do you?” If you meant it as written, I’m curious about how you got your information. In any case, it’s ambiguous.

I got the information by reading your post.

If you read your own post again, it should be clear.

It’s still ambiguous.

Why do I what? It can be read at least two ways (without a comma :slightly_smiling_face:).

You don’t think Richard takes a blade to his Bible, why do I think he does?

or

Why do I take a blade to my Bible?

1 Like

The history in the OT is a mess for starters.

Why do you think Richard takes a blade to the Bible?

That was figuratively speaking, of course. Anyone who says there are [apparent] errors in the Bible is free to disregard anything they choose.

Well, that may or may not be. That view is a difficult sell, as the history continues to be rewritten. There were doubts about a real, historical David until recent discoveries.

My impression is that people who believe the Bible is the perfect, inerrant Word of God will simply say the extra-Biblical history is inaccurate. What I have found is that the inerrancy is best demonstrated with internal contradictions — when the Bible says one thing in one place and something mutually exclusive in another.

And if his understanding differs from someone else’s, what have you got?

Like election and free will?

When Joshua records cities being destroyed that had been destroyed for hundreds of years before the Hebrews arrived that is a problem.

For which I am sure the inerrant folk have explanations that remove the contradiction.

Denominations
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Richard

1 Like