Seeking publisher for Christian Children's book that believes in evolution

Melissa, thank you for your kind words. I am meticulously (snail’s pace) redoing the pictures to include my youngest granddaughter who was just a baby on that first go-round. It’s taking me longer than I thought! But I am already in
motion to self publish with create space whenever I finally get the pix updated. (and some light brush-up editing). I will be sure to let you know when I get it on Amazon. Thank you.

4 Likes

@stilllearning
This is wonderful! I am working on a Picture Book series – stories of the Bible–expressed in terms that do not contradict what Science has discovered. You are far more talented with your artistic expression.
A Christian Speculative Fiction anthology published a short story of mine and I might be able to contact the editor and see if he has any ideas to help you.
You may already be done, since I am coming to this late in the process.
I wish you every success and would love to purchase your book, too.
As a retired Navy chaplain, I do enjoy discovering these kinds of avenues.

@stilllearning
There is also the need for marketing it. People need to see it. Do you have a webpage? I take classes as a writer on building a website, a following and building ‘an email-list’ which is about the best thing for any author. Are you on Twitter or Facebook? What is your Twitter name? I’d love to follow you. I only have about 2500 followers. I haven’t really started a website and an email list. I’m working on building a series of things that could be helpful to others. It’s at least a 2:1 ratio: give two things away for every one thing you ask for. Often, it can be a 10:1 ratio. Give 10 things away to every one ask-for-something. I’m rambling. Sorry.

@stilllearning! I am overwhelmed because I took the question about your book (and mine) to Rachelle Gardner, one of the preeminent agents for Christian publishing. She wrote a blog about the issue of the restrictions by CBA.
Rachelle Gardner of Books and Such on Walking CBA/ABA Tightrope
She said:
“I frequently receive questions from writers about whether their novel is a better fit for the Christian market (CBA) or the general market (ABA). The nature of their story, the language, and some of the content might be objectionable to the Christian market. Yet it’s too “Christian” of a story for the mainstream market.”
bottom line:
“If you are writing a Christian book that contains difficult elements to sell in CBA, you can choose to tone it down, or you can choose to tone down the Christian elements and pitch it in the general market. Or you can leave your book the way you’ve written it and self publish. The one thing that’s pointless and unhelpful is to spend too much time railing about this injustice. It’s just the way it is, even though many of us in the business have tried to change it.”
So I posted my question:
"I have a question. Is there a place in Christian Publishing for a children’s book on Genesis 1–using Science to explain what is happening?

e,g, God said, “Let there be light…and the big bang occurred, and light exploded into the darkness.

Or is it something that must be self-published?"

SHE RESPONDED WITHIN ONE DAY!!
“I, for one, would love that book. I don’t know if it could get published, but I’d certainly take a look at what you’ve got. Send it to our submissions email address, tagged to me.”

My book is not ready, but please go to her blog and post your similar interest. You are way ahead of me having both the story and illustrations. I think she would really be worthwhile contacting.

Yes, if she is able to make a place for your book to be published, it might make my book not feasible. We will still celebrate if she takes yours because I leave those things to God.

I think the world has a place for more than one book on creation with a science viewpoint for children. After all, there is more than one Bible translation in the world and more than one science book in the world.

1 Like

It’s delightful to read your enthusiastic responses, ChapLynne. At this moment, the “proof” copies of the book are being combed over by my pastor, having already been proofed by my daughters and myself. Whenever the pastor has finished with his input, I will make some minor adjustments with createspace (a self-publishing website), and hopefully, within a couple of weeks, the book will be available to order on Amazon! I love all your suggestions. My techie daughter will have to help me get on twitter. I am on Facebook. I had intended to let my Facebook friends and my church friends know that it’s available, and also post on biologos that it’s ready to purchase. I’m holding a “proof” copy in my hand right now, and I’m very pleased with how it looks, considering that I am an amateur at this whole process!!! I will be shouting Hallelujah whenever I push that final button at createspace next week. I would love to see what you have put together, and I hope that you are able to find a place for it as well.

Vickie Lee, (@stilllearning)
I am delighted for you to have found Createaspace. Amazon tends to do things well. I would be glad to give you a review, so do do post it here when you do publish, or for that matter–pre-pubish release, as in coming soon!

I have pre-ordered many books on Amazon. I’m not sure how it affects your bottom line, but I suspect that it would give you a couple of weeks to have people --like from here or your church–pre-order and when you actually release it, the preorders could be added to the others who have found you. So your first actual sale day would put it higher on the Amazon list???

I have some contacts with long-time writers, who are in touch with a marketing guy that is honest and actually good at improving your marketing. He requires being paid, but from what I have seen he is really good. I take writing courses from HollyLisleWritingClasses.com. She teaches practical courses on writing. She had published about 17 books before the self-publishing revolution took over and was no longer a ‘vanity-publishing’ mode. She took back her writes and moved from being a midlist author (average income under 10K a year) to a six-figure earner, with the help of this marketing guru. He offers special deals through Holly a couple of times a year. I’m not there yet, so I haven’t made that a priority yet.

I’m running on. Sorry. I am so glad to see you have moved forward. I am excited for you. Do you have your blurb yet? That needs all the key words in it, so people searching Amazon will find you.

Looking forward to your success.

Blessings,
Lynne

I am pleased (and nervous) to announce that my self-published book is now on Amazon.!

![005|662x499]

1 Like

Good for you! Glad you saw your project through.

Thank you, Christy! I’m glad to finally get it done. One tiny step at a time! Done!

Simone, wanted to be sure that you saw that my book is on Amazon! Tiny baby steps and finally got it self published. “Billions of Years or Six Days”. I have included the updated version somewhere in this thread. Thanks for your encouragement. Sincerely, Vickie Lee

ChapLynne, did you see that I finally got the little book on Amazon? I have included an updated version of the interior here on this thread. I surely appreciate your encouragement.
Vickie Lee

1 Like

Melissa MCampbell, I wanted to be sure you had seen that I just now self-published “Billions of Years or Six Days” on Amazon. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I have attached the more updated version of the book somewhere in this thread. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Vickie Lee

David heddle, thank you for your kind words. I did finally finally self-publish, and the little book “billions of years or six days” is now on Amazon. I have included the updated version somewhere in this thread.
Thanks again. Vickie Lee

Dear KayL,
Just wanted to be sure you had seen that I self-published the little book on Amazon.
Finally. Finally!!!
Thanks for your encouragement. The updated version is somewhere in this thread.
Thanks.
Vickie Lee

That is fantastic! Congratulations.

Thank you, Vicki Lee!
I just purchased my copy. No I had not heard. This month has been a little crazy with CampNaNo and 5 online classes.
But I am ecstatic and looking forward to getting my copy this weekend.
I finished writing my Picture Book this month, too. I’m editing it now and then I will submit to the agent, Rachelle Gardner, although I think I will do what you have done, ultimately.
Still, I am very interested in her feedback.
I’ll let you know of my progress.
Thank you for your courage! I am excited. You should really consider making a Kindle version. I buy most books via Kindle. My eyes don’t read the small type of actual books. I can change the size of things for my use. Let me know, so I can order that one, too.
I’m taking a course right now on how to do an eBook. :slight_smile:
Secondly, you must do an Audible copy. Read your story aloud. And then parents can buy the book and the audible copy so their kids can listen to the story while they look at the book.
I wish you every success.
Lynne

I received my book today!! Sooner than I expected. It’s beautiful! Perfectly done. I love your layout, your story and I read it aloud to my husband, who said that it was brilliant! Well done!

Dear ChapLynne, I’m very pleased to read your glowing review on Amazon. Wow. Thank you so much. I do hope to get some kind of audio thing on YouTube, and also something on Kindle. I tried to set it up on Kindle already …but did I mention that I am not naturally a techie person? Everything I’ve done has taken me 10 steps longer than it would have taken someone who knew what they were doing. I need my daughter to show me what I did wrong on some button on Kindle before I can proceed. So that’s on hold till she and I get together again. My other daughter and grandkids will help me with the YouTube thing in the near future. I wish you well in bringing your Picture Book to fullness. I’ll be happy to see it someday. Again, thank you so very much for your encouragement.
Vickie