Science and Religion 101 - a course taught by Denis Lamoureux on Coursera

Science and Religion 101 is an online course (a MOOC) taught by Denis Lamoureux of the University of Alberta, and offered on the Coursera platform. A new section starts May 21, 2018. I’ve taken a number of fascinating online courses from U. Alberta.

He’s an excellent teacher and author, so check out the course and enroll if you are interested.

Science and Religion 101

About this course:

This course examines the nature of both science and religion and attempts to explore the possible relationships between them. The primary purpose is to dispel the popular myth that science and religion are entrenched in a never-ending conflict. As a result, this course argues that if the limits of both science and religion are respected, then their relationship can be complementary.

Topics include: Science and Religion Categories and Foundational Principles, Definitions of Science and Religion, Science-Religion Models and Relationships, Intelligent Design and Natural Revelation, the Galileo Affair, Geology and Noah’s Flood, Evolution and Darwin’s Religious Beliefs, the Modern “Evolution” vs. “Creation” Debate, the Problem of Evil, and Interpretations of the Biblical Accounts of Origins in Genesis 1-11.

The course employs a Constructive Teaching Style in order that students can develop their personal views on the relationship between science and religion and on each of the topics listed above.

3 Likes

I have taken the course by Dr. Lamoureux and it is excellent. He is also a good Christian and fine theologian.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I was just looking for it yesterday when Edward mentioned taking it on another thread.

3 Likes

I also took it last fall and enjoyed it.

3 Likes

I’m taking it right now

1 Like

It’s a good one. Would like to hear your feedback on it. Dr Lamoureux also responds to comments on his forum sometimes. When I took it, there was a Skype interaction, but it didn’t work very well unfortunately and they had to try something else, he said.

I did have some problems with some of his minor premises–but who doesn’t? He is brilliant.

Here’s my main problem, I think: He asserts, after deconstructing Biblical concordance, that Romans 1:20 still holds that we are without excuse to believe in God, extrapolating from creation. My own thought is that 1) science has made it harder to believe in a single creator, evidence of some design not withstanding; better people than I have been very confused; and 2) the very existence of apologetics indicates that we do have an excuse. Otherwise, if creation were that evident, we wouldn’t need apologetics!
Your thoughts are welcome

I’ll probably give the course some time, he talks about a ‘textbook’ which I don’t know how to access. I’d also like to focus on MOOCs I’ve found on Assyria and Egypt, me being an ANE nerd after all.

1 Like

Caveat: the entire course is excellent. His whole attitude actually is terrific–teaching from the bottom up–so I think that his bringing the verse in actually really just says that we can learn from the universe about God; not that to focus on the lack of excuse.

I have thought about listening to the entire thing again–his well-structured arguments are a delight. I especially enjoyed his part on gematriya and Revelation, of all things. Best wishes. I wish I could give him a reward; but I’m grateful for Lamoureux’s insight and forging the way forward based on his deep studies, so those (like I) who haven’t studied anywhere near as much can learn and avoid a lot of grief.

1 Like

Dr. Lamoureux is very well qualified to teach this course. He has earned PhDs in both evolution and theology, and is a practicing Christian.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.