"Science and Faith" Graphic Novel

(Laura) #1

Came across this today and thought it looked interesting and unusual: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40367101-science-and-faith

Graphic novels do tend to be hit or miss with me, so it might prove to be a letdown, but I’m still intrigued. I don’t recognize any of the authors involved – Tommaso Todesca, Giuseppe Savagnone, Alfio Briguglia – do any of those names ring a bell with anyone here? From what I can google, they’re Italian, so may not be known authors in the USA.

(Juan Romero) #2

Looks interesting to me.

(Tommaso Todesca) #3

Hi Elle!

This is Tommaso, I worked on this book for the last couple of years as I transformed the existing Italian book into a graphic novel (with the help of brilliant artist Alexandra Festovets).

I’m glad our work caught your attention! It’s certainly a different way to approach this type of dialogue, and I hope that the addition of “visual beauty” brings something valuable to the discussion, either for readers who are already familiar with these topics , or for readers who are not.

To answer a question posed above, I am not an “author” or an expert in any sense when it comes to theology or philosophy. This is a hobby for me. I’m just an Italian Catholic who loves theology and creative projects.

If you would like to receive a free copy just let me know.

Tommaso

(Laura) #4

Hi Tommaso, thanks for stopping by! And thanks for clarifying your role and the book’s history – that is a lot more helpful than my off-the-cuff musings above.

I’m grateful for experts, but also for people who simply love theology, philosophy, and science – there are quite a few around here too. :slight_smile:

I definitely think this book is an intriguing concept, even for someone like me who doesn’t usually go for graphic novels, so I look forward to reading it sometime.

Elle

(Tommaso Todesca) #5

Here is a Huffington Post piece on it from 2 years ago: https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56e337c2e4b0860f99d91509/amp

(Laura) #6

Nice! Clearly I’m late to the party here. It’s nice to see some previews of the artwork on that article too.

This quote from the preview jumped out at me:

Christians are being invited to go back … to the ancient attitude of those researchers whose faith in God used to feed their passion for knowledge, and whose intellectual endeavors used to celebrate God as if they were a prayer.

I like this combination of ancient and modern – and it sounds like the graphic novel style could bridge that gap really well.

(Laura) #7

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.