Sam Harris article about the Language of God: I found an article very challenging and I cannot find a response. I hope you will help me

Harris seems to rely on an apologetic of ridicule buttressed by strawman arguments and presumption. Here’s one of my favourite lines:

“Collins’s claim to have been an atheist seems especially suspect…”

Is this a “no true Scotsman fallacy”?

As for his accusation that Collins makes an “emotional choice” to believe in God, it was the esteemed Isaac Asimov who said the following:

“I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I’ve been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn’t have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I’m a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don’t have the evidence to prove that God doesn’t exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn’t that I don’t want to waste my time.”

Yeah, Asimov was no dummy. Frankly, I didn’t read past that point in the article. Harris is more bluster than logic when it comes to his seeming vendetta against all things religious.

2 Likes

Impacting ones own choices is more than fine. Our values should impact our choices. So apparently you and I and Mitchell are all ready to sign a mutual assurance of a willingness not to “lord it over anyone else”. Glad we were able to work this out. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I thought the same thing. Apparently Collins “doesn’t understand what the position of atheism entails.” :stuck_out_tongue: It entails a lack of belief in a deity. If Harris decides to police individual positions beyond that, it’s on the basis of something other than atheism.

1 Like

Because the people demanded a king… Read 1 Samuel chapter 8.

the word “throne” is used in far more ways in the Bible than just for a monarchy form of government such as Rev 2:13 and Rev 3:21.

No but it means we should be wary of theologies like adoptionism which makes it easy for people to claim the position of messiah.

Exactly!

It should be lack of belief in any deity. It’s a bit like the belief of matter being made up from particles. They are all wrong anyhow because they have different models and we can’t see them.

Surely Schroedinger was an aatomist because he belived in cats in boxes that he could not see :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Mitchell. Here are a couple of verses to guide you in your thinking Re: 1 Samuel 8: ‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭8:7, 2 Samuel‬ ‭7:16, Luke‬ ‭1:32-33‬.

Beyond that shall we agree to disagree?

It has been a lot of fun chatting with you. I’ve Especially enjoyed your willingness to directly challenge my views and ideas in a gracious and thoughtful way. Thank you for your time. The Lord be with you, brother. Blessings, Liam

2 Likes

Haha! Pretty much, I hope the political leaders of world are making notes… :sunglasses: