Sam Harris article about the Language of God: I found an article very challenging and I cannot find a response. I hope you will help me

WRONG! That is the difference between objective and subjective evidence. If it is just a “feeling,” fantasy, or personal experience then it only has meaning and relevance to me, deciding what conduct will make me feel good about myself. But when it is measurable by a written procedure anyone can follow to get the same result no matter what they believe then we have a basis for a reasonable expectation that others will accept and follow such guidelines.

For example, I think organ transplants turn people into commodities. But this is my own feeling and reasoning with no objective evidence that this does any harm. Therefore it will never be anything more than a reason why I will never participate in or benefit from that technology. No judgement from me on people who decide differently on this matter.

To be sure, people in the long run have to decide what kind of society and world they want to live in. A free society which limits the imposition it makes to the minimum which can be objectively be established as harmful, or to the fantasies of some tyrant who like to pretend to authority about what is right and wrong. But which of these is good can also be measured and history provides ample evidence that the latter most often results in a complete nightmare.

This is why war is not the greatest evil and I will take up arms to kill the would be tyrants no matter what name they may hide under.

Apparently you looked for a response to this 10year old article of SH, trying to discredit the rationality of the founder if Biologos by claiming his emotional decision to submit to Christ as evidence for his inability to make rational decisions, with particular emphasis of him to be a hindrance to stem cell research as he does not declare a human life fair game for stem cell research, as after all to SH an embryo is just a blob of cells that only becomes human when the thinks it should be looked at as such.

As in the original question you wanted to find a response, Sam Harris and Francis Collins | Andrew Brown | The Guardian might serve as a critique on Sam’s article as does Francis Collins and the Intolerance of the New Atheists - Article - BioLogos by Ted Davis
To learn about moral law from someone suffering religiophobia is difficult as the irrational position makes them incoherent in their line of thought but I’m sure you will find better references here on biologos

who are you talking to? …ok… Liam, I guess.

The problem with this is that love is too subjective… Pedophiles and serial killers can claim to love their victims. And then there is the love between such as Bonnie and Clyde which is ready to destroy the whole world for the sake of their “love.” Or consider the extremes parents are driven to for the sake of the love they have for their children. I suppose by contrast you can say my claim is that our one moral obligation is to act on the measurable evidence of what does harm and what is of benefit to people and their communities. And this doesn’t give absolute rules because such evidence is invariably statistical.

But there is ample evidence (as well as clear and obvious logic) that everyone benefits when people are allowed to profit from the work they do, while most people loose when people cheat and steal.

Well there is certainly an age dependence involved in the story of the fall. The “do not do this or you will die” type commandment is more typical of what is given by the parent to young children. It is the natural way of transitioning from the infant and toddler, who aren’t capable of understanding commandments and thus whose environment we must keep free of danger, to the young adult who has to be responsible for their own well being. And you are quite correct that rebellion is part of the typical process of transition to the young adult.

love it but I can surely get your head in a spin completely

The term thyself in the bible refers to those for which you would lay down your life as the ultimate act of love to them as they are part of the self you identify with. That would foremost be your parents, siblings, wife (wife must be as you become one flesh together with her in the form of the children) and children. In the time of the bible selfishness was frowned upon as your “self” was the survival unit you felt part of. Oneself does not cut the custard here as it is deleterious to the stability of system.

Tribalism is exactly what the word of God is against as you should love your not tribe like your tribe. If your genes are the only things that your kids inherit from you I would be a pity. It is a very materialistic worldview thinking that ones love for others can only be passed on genetically.

It can’t be “yourself” as in the singular, as the ultimate sacrifice of love, to lay down your life for your own self’s sake does not work. When Jesus addressed the issue not to crowds but to his disciples he phrased it as to love one another like I have loved you.

The key to understanding the word of God this way is that it gives you the law of evolution, e.g. the criterion for survival fitness, as we slowly seem to figure out,is not to kill or outmaneuver one another but to cooperate and be symbiotic as Lee Margulis already recognised in the last century. It is the love shown to your resource competitor that allows symbiosis and quantum leaps in evolution.

There is far more to that to get your head in a complete spin, but I better send that in private (once I find out how) as I am sure it would upset most people here but I hope I helped you in making myself a bit clearer (not my strength) and you will engage in further discussion.

Have you considered the extremes of Jesus to love you e.g. to take on suffering in order to do what is best for you and not for him? It is the core element of love to do something for the benefit of the other, something you should find hard to argue for peadophiles or anyone who hurts or defiles others.

would boldly claim that the people with most wealth profit from the work others do

Of course I have. I am a Christian because of it. But what does this have to do with the case when parents cheat, kill, and do all kinds of evil for the sake of the love of their children. The point was that love isn’t always such a pure measure of what is good.

Ah… now I like that word “benefit,” since that is starting to sound like me… but I would require that the benefit be measurable. What about those who lie for Jesus? Don’t they think they are doing something for the benefit of others? And this goes all the way to the extreme of suicide bombers who think they are doing something for the benefit of the world also.

But unless we are talking about slavery then those who work are also benefiting from the work they do. And many have observed that often those so called “people with the most wealth,” top executives in corporations are doing more work than anybody else. Regardless, I think we can take your comment as an agreement that the more people benefit from the work they do the better.

No, I think @marvin is replying to the OP.

2 Likes

Thanks again for the stimulating posts Mitchell, I hope I don’t come across too strong in my comments below. I much prefer talking about these kinds of things face to face over a beer or a coffee. As such, I sometimes struggle to get the tone right in forum discussions, so please read my post in the best possible light, which is how it is intended. :slight_smile:

With every respect Mitchell I believe you are mistaken. This is the point I made earlier, you are in danger of being eaten alive by your own argument. The will to power couldn’t give a monkey’s uncle what criteria you use. Arguing that morality should be based on evidence is fine until you say that others should use the same moral code as you or that yours is better than any other. Once you do that they are making an ought argument, at which point, Nietzsche would accuse you of attempting to exert your will over others. So not to put to finer point on it, you are welcome to say that morals derived from religious fantasies and outdated codex are an attempt to Lord it over others, but then don’t be surprised if people turn the same argument on you.

Such an argument might work out as follows:

This sounds good in principle but it breaks down on many levels. Firstly, it falls foul of the is/ought fallacy. Just because you have observed that this might be a good way to form morality doesn’t mean it ought to be the way to form morality. That is to dress opinion up as fact and an attempt to assert power over others.

Second, again who decides what this written procedure will involve and how will you get people to subscribe to it? Utilitarian ethics is all well and good in theory but in practice it requires one or a group of people deciding what the objective good for the greatest number looks like. Or what evidence they’ll accept as pointing to a measurable good. At which point again the criticism is levelled that this is, by your standard, no less an expression of lording it over others as than appeal to the ten commandments.

Third, If a causal study of historical ethics teaches us anything it is that people don’t agree on morality, and probably never will, that’s why morality is an ethical issue. What makes you so sure that such a procedure that everyone can ever exist? And why should evidence rather than say virtue or sacrifice be the criteria for such a framework? You say that people will have to decide in the long run, but what people? Why them and not another set? Again, if you use evidence to answer these questions, how does one do that without moving from evidence (is) to moral norms (ought)?

Finally, it strikes me that the only society in which one could effectively have such a procedure is not a libertarian one which limits its impositions on others to a minimum. The only place such a framework will work is in a mono-cultural authoritarian autocracy where the people are forced to follow it regardless of belief through the restriction of their own personal freedoms. The will to power writ large.

It seems to me that there are only three places a person can go from here:

1. They admit that they are trying to Lord it over others with their morality as much as anyone else. Most people don’t like this option for obvious reasons - it undermines there own argument and critique of others (they argument eats them alive).

2. Moral relativism - it is true for me, but may not be true for you, and you are free to make up your mind for yourself about whether my standard of morality should be yours too. This would be the case regardless of whatever metric one uses for defining morality (eg. Evidence or feeling).

3. That morality is derived by laws and principles set down by a divine lawgiver. As Creator-Lord, this being alone has the right to rule over his creatures and make moral demands on their behaviour. Laws which by a quick glance at history (and our own lives) we have broken beyond counter-argument and so are in desperate need of rescue if we wish to escape this God’s justice. What we need most then is not for people to agree on what evidence will produce the best standard of morality. Rather, we need to be reconciled to the God who made us and rules our wold. As we submit to his Lordship, we will be less likely to lord it over others, but rather appeal to them on the basis of reconciliation we ourselves have received. This would be my position.

2 Likes

@mitchellmckain, @Darek_Barefoot I will respond to you both later, you´re right and wrong on different occasions. But first let me finish OPs request and comment on the rest of the article.

In fact, Collins’ ignorance of world religion is prodigious. For instance, he regularly repeats the Christian talking point about Jesus being the only person in human history who ever claimed to be God (as though this would render the opinions of an uneducated carpenter of the 1st century especially credible). Collins seems oblivious to the fact that saints, yogis, charlatans, and schizophrenics by the thousands claim to be God at this very moment, and it has always been thus. Forty years ago, a very unprepossessing Charles Manson convinced a rather large band of misfits in the San Fernando Valley that he was both God and Jesus. (Should we consult Manson on questions of cosmology? He still walks among us—or at least sits—in Corcoran State Prison.) The fact that Collins, as both a scientist and as an influential apologist for religion, repeatedly emphasizes the silly fiction of Jesus’ singular self-appraisal is one of many embarrassing signs that he has lived too long in the echo chamber of Evangelical Christianity.

Is @ManiacalVesalius still active? He is certainly helpful when it comes to understanding of scholarship. However let´s make something clear: Harris accusing Collins of being oblivious when it comes to world religions is quite juicy. I confess, I laughed. However he would be right, that if Jesus merely proclaimed divinty for himself and that was it, that would be a quite paltry foundation of a religion. That much is clear. Now, it isn´t even clear, that Jesus claimed to be divine. I, following Brant Pietre, think that he did (at least to a certain extent) and that certain passages only make sense when read in that light. Larry Hurtado doubted that. Nontheless, if the mere claim was the foundation, we would have nothing. But, paraphrasing Nils Dahl, something must have happened within the lifetime of Jesus´ ministry that he fueled the hope of his followers that indeed the messiah has arrived. And no scholar, no matter which theological background, denies that Jesus was known as a miracle worker and exorcist. So we have more than Harris claims. Who would have thought?

It is simply astounding that this passage was written by a scientist with the intent of demonstrating the compatibility of faith and reason. While Collins argues for the rational basis of his faith, passages like this make it clear that he “decided” (his word) to believe in God for emotional reasons. And if we thought Collins’ reasoning could grow no more labile, he has since divulged that the waterfall was frozen into three streams, which put him in mind of the Holy Trinity.

I understand Collins as having had some kind of religious experience. Now, when debating, experiences, because of their subjective nature, aren´t worth much. However they can provide irrefuatble evidence for the person experiencing them.
Now to the “decision” to believe. It is rather astounding that he would write that, wasn´t it his buddy Christopher Hitchens writing with fiery hatred about a, as he took it, fictional entity, namely God. That there is emotional attachement on both sides is undeinable. On the top of my head I can name the atheists Thomas Nagel, Patrick Grim, Klaas Kraay and Graham Oppy as atheists who would prefer and have argued for it being better that God would not exist and natrualism were true. Therefor denying emotional attachement to certain convictions becomes a ridicolous position. The Freedom From Religion Foundation is full of such people.
Another good example is the metaphysical problem consciousness provides. Now, this is only one of the problems naturalism hasn´t offered a good metaphysical foundation for. The other would be e.g. conscience, normativity, rationality, reason, intentionality, the existence of contingent things. Does that drive the normal naturalist to the conclusion that his position must be false? No, normally he just goes back to the drawing board and no matter how many times the model gets refuted, the conviction is that naturalism just has to be true, and it goes back to the drawing board.
The theist never denied the will to believe. There is an obvious distinction between acknowledging that God exists, e.g. as a trancedent intelligent foundation of reality, as I think can be shown by the tools of natural theology, and believing in God as the foundation who wants to be in a relationship with his creatures. An unwilling person obviously is neither able nor willing to take the second step. But this comes a surprise to absolutely noone.

As believers, you are right to hold fast to the concept of God as Creator; you are right to hold fast to the truths of the Bible; you are right to hold fast to the conclusion that science offers no answers to the most pressing questions of human existence; and you are right to hold fast to the certainty that the claims of atheistic materialism must be steadfastly resisted…. (Collins, 2006, p.178)

God, who is not limited to space and time, created the universe and established natural laws that govern it. Seeking to populate this otherwise sterile universe with living creatures, God chose the elegant mechanism of evolution to create microbes, plants, and animals of all sorts. Most remarkably, God intentionally chose the same mechanism to give rise to special creatures who would have intelligence, a knowledge of right and wrong, free will, and a desire to seek fellowship with Him. He also knew these creatures would ultimately choose to disobey the Moral Law. (Ibid, p. 200-201)

Imagine: the year is 2006; half of the American population believes that the universe is 6,000 years old; our president had just used his first veto to block federal funding for the most promising medical research on religious grounds; and one of the foremost scientists in the land had that to say, straight from the heart (if not the brain).

In this passage Harris and Collins are both correct, though the former, again, only with qualification. The atheistic materialism is not a scientific, but a philsoophical position. And, as I would argue, a nonsensical one, on which the success of the science becomes a much greater miracle. The philosophy of the modern age really is a trainwreck.
Harris is correct to decry the fact that such a huge portion of the population are adherents of YEC. However here it also shows his own childish picture of religion, as he conflates this with the position of orthodox and traditional Christianity, rather than the wrongheadedness of denominations who invented a strict literalism, never found in traditional denominations. A myth Harris helped invent and which I come across all too often on the internet is the ridicolous idea that the churchfathers, like Aquinas and Augustine, or the orthodox Jews were themselves YEC. It is clear by just reading their own texts that they never hold to such a strict literalism and especially when it comes to orthodox Judaism, which with I engage currently, although holds to the divinity of the Torah, never required or believed the texts to be strict recollections of historical events.

Collins has since started an organization called the BioLogos Foundation, whose purpose (in the words of its mission statement) is to demonstrate “the compatibility of the Christian faith with what science has discovered about the origins of the universe and life.” BioLogos is funded by the Templeton Foundation, a religious organization that, because of its astonishing wealth, has managed to purchase the complicity of otherwise secular scientists as it seeks to re-brand religious faith as a legitimate arm of science.

Would Collins have received the same treatment in Nature if he had argued for the compatibility between science and witchcraft, astrology, or Tarot cards?

The last time I read something this stupid I was reading earlier passages of the same article.

Collins states, correctly, that “monotheism and polytheism cannot both be right.” But doesn’t he think that at some point in the last thousand years a Hindu or two has prayed in a temple, perhaps to the elephant-headed god Ganesh, and experienced similar feelings of peace? What might he, as a scientist, make of this fact?

It would be a non-sequitar to therefor conclude that one or both were wrong.Two answers can be offered. First, as e.g. hold by the Catholic Church, that there are truths to be found in every religion. Thís doesn´t mean that every religion is correct, but that one is not excluded from relating to God when doesn´t adhere to a certain religion. I reject strict particularism. David Bentley Hart is an author who is worth reading and who writes on that topic.
Also, again, experiences are context-dependend. And it is rather peculiar that the experiences found in two religions is taken as an argument for atheism. Why would it?

Collins argues that science makes belief in God “intensely plausible”—the Big Bang, the fine-tuning of Nature’s constants, the emergence of complex life, the effectiveness of mathematics, all suggest to him that a “loving, logical, and consistent” God exists; but when challenged with alternate (and far more plausible) accounts of these phenomena—or with evidence that suggests that God might be unloving, illogical, inconsistent, or, indeed, absent—Collins declares that God stands outside of Nature, and thus science cannot address the question of His existence at all.

There are certain inductive arguments which can be made from such phenomena and the success of science. For the interested, please check out Robin Collins. Also Francis Collins is pointing at the success which suggest the truth of the PSR, which, following the Rationalist school and the Leibnizian arguments, necessarily leads to a necessary ground with divine attributes. But I´m not surprised that Harris was unaware.

Indeed, Collins freely admits that if all his scientific arguments for the plausibility of God were proven to be in error, his faith would be undiminished, as it is founded upon the belief, shared by all serious Christians, that the Gospel account of the miracles of Jesus is true.

I skipped something, as it is obvious that discussing religion or Aristotelian philosophy (a Polkinghorne quote) with Harris is about as fruitful as discussing Beethoven with a tone deaf.
But the quote above summarizes everything that is wrong with the article. Harris, similarily to Dawkins, takes God as a scientific theory, while for the classical theist God is the explanation as to why there can be any science at all. The scientific theories, e.g. big bang cosmology, fine-tuning etc. provide evidence, but they aren´t, for most people, the ground for the belief. It would be a very weak ground indeed. The metaphysical arguments need no science at all.

Biblical scholars generally agree that the earliest Gospel, the Gospel of Mark, was written several decades after the events it purports to describe. Of course, no one has access to the original manuscript of Mark, or of any of the other Gospels: rather, there are thousands of fragmentary copies of copies of copies, many of which show obvious errors or signs of later interpolation. The earliest of these fragments dates to second century, but for many other sections of the text we must rely on copies that were produced centuries later. One would hope that a scientist might see that these disordered and frequently discordant texts constitute a rather precarious basis for believing in the divinity of Jesus.

Biblical scholars also agree that the sources go back until a very short time, at most two years after the cross. And they are in agreement that we, in essence, have the original text. Even atheistic biblical scholars, like Gerd Lüdemann or the Jesus Seminar, concede way more to the Christian tradition than Harris seems to be aware. If one doesn´t apply an arbitrary methodological naturalism to the area of history, it can be concluded that the Christian tradition at least has a reasonable foundation for the core of the belief.

Indeed, first-hand accounts of miracles are extremely common, even in the 21st century. I’ve met scores of educated men and women who are convinced that their favorite Hindu or Buddhist guru has magic powers, and many of the miracles that they describe are every bit as outlandish as those attributed to Jesus. Stories about yogis and mystics walking on water, raising the dead, flying without the aid of technology, materializing objects, reading minds, foretelling the future are circulating right now, in communities where the average levels of education, access to information, and skeptical doubt are far higher than we would expect of first century fishermen and goatherds

I don´t see how that could possibly threaten the Christian worldview, when one isn´t committed to a strict particularism. More importantly how in the world could anyone take that as evidence for atheism. Remember my point about the worth of contemporary academic philosophy! How could this nonsense graduate?!

In the following passage it just throws up the question as to how Harris would define “God”. As indicated by the article up to this point, I take the defintion to be rather childish. And the comparisons with Genghis Khan and Alexander the Great with Jesus, just provides further evidence for his historical illiteracy.

It is on this basis that the future head of the NIH recommends that we believe the following propositions:

1. Jesus Christ, a carpenter by trade, was born of a virgin, ritually murdered as a scapegoat for the collective sins of his species, and then resurrected from death after an interval of three days.

2. He promptly ascended, bodily, to “heaven”—where, for two millennia, he has eavesdropped upon (and, on occasion, even answered) the simultaneous prayers of billions of beleaguered human beings.

3. Not content to maintain this numinous arrangement indefinitely, this invisible carpenter will one day return to earth to judge humanity for its sexual indiscretions and skeptical doubts, at which time he will grant immortality to anyone who has had the good fortune to be convinced, on mother’s knee, that this baffling litany of miracles is the most important series of truth-claims ever revealed about the cosmos.

4. Every other member of our species, past and present, from Cleopatra to Einstein, no matter what his or her terrestrial accomplishments, will be consigned to a far less desirable fate, best left unspecified.

5. In the meantime, God/Jesus may or may not intervene in our world, as He pleases, curing the occasional end-stage cancer (or not), answering an especially earnest prayer for guidance (or not), consoling the bereaved (or not), through His perfectly wise and loving agency.

What is there even to comment? I take this as further evidence, that discussing such matters with him is superflous.

Harris goes on to comment about the backlash he received and how he supposedly carricatures religion. He calls for the value of reason and rationality. As someone who values the school of Rationalism and their worth for science, I agree. I take Harris to be unaware of the metaphysical committments he forces himself to.

The soul-doctrine suffers further upheaval in light of the fatal resemblance of the human brain to the brains of other animals. The obvious continuity of our mental powers with those of ostensibly soulless primates raises special difficulties. If the joint ancestors of chimpanzees and human beings did not have souls, when did we acquire ours? Most religions ignore these awkward facts and simply assert that human beings possess a unique form of subjectivity that has no homolog among lower animals. Indeed, Collins asserts this. He claims that the human mind cannot be the product of the human brain or the human brain the product of unguided evolution: rather, at some glorious moment in the development of our species God inserted crucial components—including an immortal soul, free will, the moral law, spiritual hunger, genuine altruism, etc. This claim makes a mockery of whole fields of study—neuroscience, psychology, cognitive science, behavioral economics, among others—and, if taken seriously, would obliterate our growing understanding of the human mind. If we must look to religion to explain our moral sense, what should we make of the deficits of moral reasoning associated with conditions like autism, frontal lobe syndrome, and psychopathy? Are these disorders best addressed by theology?

The “soul-doctrine” isn´t threatened by modern science at all. And it was the arbitrary cartesian distinction between quantifiable matter and mind which introduced such classics like the mind-body problem or the ghost in the machince. The scientific interpretation rests on underlying metaphysics, their coherence have to be evaluated on seperate grounds. Even eliminativists like Karl Friston admit that their findings in neuroscience is compatible with every kind of dualism and even idealism. Because they don´t inform the question at all. And this modern confusion leads materialists like Christof Koch to become materialistic panpsychists. It is exactly the incoherence of the modern philosophy why Aristotle is making a return in the academia. And why scholastics are in conversation with analytic philosophers. I think thats great!
By the way, the mental distinction between animal and human is recognized also by atheistic scientists like Steven Pinker and Noam Chomsky. Also theologians like David Bentley Hart ascribe a soul to animals, albeit a lesser one due to the missing self-aware perspective.

Collins’ case for the supernatural origin of morality rests on the further assertion that there can be no evolutionary explanation for genuine altruism.

No, it doesn´t. To be clear, cases like extreme altruism (video below) are certainly hardly explainable by mere Darwinism. But the other point is that morality needs a transcendent foundation if we want it to be objective and not e.g. emotive. On utilitarian grounds I can argue for the goodness of a babies death because of the finitude of resources, weak genetics due to parents or even resource of needed organs for a valuable person in the group (Don´t look at me, I got this bs from Peter Singer!).
Video:

Then Harris argues about politics. I won´t comment on that.

I will conclude with Harris´ last passage:

Collins has written that “science offers no answers to the most pressing questions of human existence” and that “the claims of atheistic materialism must be steadfastly resisted.” One can only hope that these convictions will not affect his judgment at the NIH. Understanding human wellbeing at the level of the brain might very well offer some “answers to the most pressing questions of human existence”—questions like, Why do we suffer? How can we achieve the deepest forms of happiness? Or, indeed, is it possible to love one’s neighbor as oneself? And wouldn’t any effort to explain human nature without reference to a soul, and to explain morality without reference to God, constitute “atheistic materialism”? Must we really entrust the future of biomedical research in the United States to a man who believes that understanding ourselves through science is impossible, while our resurrection from death is inevitable?

I take Harris to be unaware, that atheistic materialism necessarily entails nihilism. I can´t explain it otherwise, but after this howler of an article, I´m not even surprised anymore.
Whats stranger though is his assertion, found in other writings by him as well, that the brain could provide answers for the existential questions. Harris generally argues that neuroscience can solve our quest for happiness, when we can immediately react to the desires of the brain, once we have the tools to find those out immediately. This view is childish and naive. Once someone asks the existential questions and comes to a negative, depressing conclusion, that life is meaningless, our appaerance random and life is only suffering, then no amount of shorttime pleasures will ultimately lead to a good life. We can try to distract ourselves from those realizations, but we aren´t able to completely hide from them and then, when we lay ourselves down, those realizations hit full force before sleep sets in. Not even on the naturalistic view can a life be said to be a good life, when one throws himself into every pleasure available. The popularity of Jordan Peterson should come to the surprise of nobody.
Harris further strawmans Collins´ own and the position of other Christian believers. We would never claim that we can´t understand ourselves through scienc. What we deny is the extent, exhaustive understanding with merely the scientific tool is impossible. On the scientific method we are matter in physical motion. Good luck trying to construe an coherent ontological picture on that one.

2 Likes

Nope. That is the very meaning of objective evidence and proof. It gives us a reasonable expectation that others accept the results. Refusal when you have a written procedure anyone can follow to get the same result no matter what they believe is unreasonable. It is like insisting that there is no such thing as a moon when all you need to do is look up in the sky at the proper time to see it.

I didn’t say that it was the way to form all of morality. It only provide a minimal standard for a free society.

Anybody. It doesn’t matter. All that matters is that following this written procedure gives the same results no matter what you believe.

Absolutely incorrect because people cannot make the results of such written procedures be what they want them to be – that is the whole point. That is precisely why they are objective and thus immune to people imposing what they believe on others in this way.

Of course they don’t because a great deal of it is subjective, but when it is subjective they have to accept that it only applies to them and it isn’t reasonable to expect others to comply.

Because we have been using them as the basis for secular law for centuries. People used to sell radium as a health aid but objective evidence showed that it was killing people so this was prohibited. Likewise objective evidence shows that driving under the influence is hazardous to everyone so now this is penalized rather strictlly. And this list can go on and on and on. It is minimal but that is the way it should be in a free society, where we only impose it on other people when we have objective evidence of the harm it does.

And yet the opposite is the case. Free societies determine their laws by the objective evidence and totalitarian theocratic societies determine their laws by the dictates of their religious texts.

wrong there is another way…

1. We only impose moral restrictions when we have objective evidence of the harm it does other people. And the rest of morality is matter for the individual to decide by their own personal experience, feelings, family traditions, or whatever divine lawgivers they may believe in. I am Christian but I don’t even want other Christians pretending to speak for God shoving their made up morality on me or on any other people for that matter. I prefer to live in a free society rather than a theocracy even an Christian theocracy… and the same goes for a vegan theocracy, animal rights theocracy, teetotaler theocracy, anti-abortion theocracy, homophobic theocracy, and even my own anti-organ transplant theocracy. I value freedom more than even my personal ideas of morality.

Hi Mitchell thanks for your gracious reply. You’ve given me plenty to think about, especially around evidence based ethics and utilitarianism.

however, I think there is a misunderstanding here, perhaps I have not clearly explained myself. I have no issue with evidenced base morality and as you say it works well. And I like living in a free society, wouldn’t want that to change any time soon.

My contention is claiming that religious believers who promote there morals are trying to Lord it over others, but those who argue for evidenced based morals are not. In your suggested fourth option you use words like impose and restriction, please explain to me how that is not one group Lording it over another?

Also you mentioned theocracy not me. The only theocracy I want to live in is the Kingdom of God. As it stands gospel based morality worked just as well for first century Christians under Roman rule as it did for Christians Stalin’s in Russia, as it does for me in 21st century England. That is Because the kingdom of God is a spiritual theocracy not a physical or political one. In fact my moral framework requires zero social or political change in order to work, it only requires a person to willing submit to Jesus as Lord and saviour. So I ask you, which one of us is really trying to Lord it over others wIth their morality?

Blessings. Liam

5 Likes

@mitchellmckain, I am so sorry that your Vineyard church had to close down. That can be heartbreaking.

priceless.

That’s why we have so many people ignoring their results if they did not deliver the expected outcome. We always forget to factor reality into our protocols, but then if things go wrong we don’t publish that as noone wants to know that anyhow :slight_smile:

Yes every society must impose restrictions on its citizens or it is no society at all. The free society simply sticks to the minimum, and the best minimum is what the objective evidence shows does measurable harm to other people.

And I don’t believe the Kingdom of God is a theocracy at all. And that thinking is horribly dangerous for it is justifies theocracy.

Ah, so are you now admitting that you morality does indeed seek to lord it over others just like the religious believers you criticised?

Three observations.

First, if the kingdom of God is not a theocracy then what is it? It certainly isn’t a western egalitarian libertarian democracy.

Second, if it isn’t a democracy how do you make sense of the Early Church confession of “Jesus as Lord” rather than Caesar, the Davidic kingship imagery of the New Testament, the final judgement, or the apocalyptic imagery of Jesus on a throne at the Father’s right hand (that is, the right hand of the Father’s throne?

Third, suggesting that by calling the kingdom of God a theocracy I am somehow justifying human theocracy does not logically follow. That is like saying that by suggesting we share with those less fortunate I am providing justification for communism.

1 Like

I take it that the theocracy you’re talking about is to take place after your mortal life is through but you have no designs on promoting one in the meantime. Good enough for me.

1 Like

No I do not, just the opposite. When you stick to the minimum and only to what the objective evidence shows is harmful then you are trying not to lord it over others, unlike the Pharisees who Jesus accused of seeking to lord it over others. Of course religious believers don’t have to be like the Pharisees, they can also support a free society just as I do.

It certainly isn’t a monarchy because God explicitly disapproves of this in the Bible. His dream is that people have the law of God written on their hearts and I think this was exactly what the founding fathers of the United States believed was what would make a democracy and a rule by the people work.

I am not sure I care about some church confession compared to the words of Jesus which says render up to Caesar what is Ceasar’s and to God what is God’s – which sounds to me like an endorsement of secular government.

Of course it does, because history shows that people are always pretending to speak for God and acting for God and dictating to others like they are God themselves.

The comparison is not even close. In one you name theocracy and in the other one you only talk about sharing. That is is like comparing the use of flour with a particular brand of sliced bread. Now if you had ONLY said that the only government you want to live in is the Kingdom of God THEN what you say might have worked.

Let’s drop this one shall we? I feel like we are going round in circles :slight_smile:

If God is so opposed to monarchs why did he create one (Saul, David, Solomon, et al) and then promise that Messiah would rule on their throne forever? Cf. Isaiah 9. Also, Kingdom implies a king which implies a monarchy. If that monarch is God then it is a theocracy. Further Jeremiah 31:33 which you alluded to speaks of God writing his law on their hearts, so that the people would perfectly obey him as king. Again, not a physical political theocracy, but a spiritual one.

Can’t comment on the Founding Father’s being a Brit and all, but again I would simply point out one cannot move from observation to obligation. You can have an opinion, but not a moral norm.

Does the fact that countless people throughout history have claimed to be the Messiah or the son of God mean that Jesus cannot be? Again, the kingdom of God is not a physical political theocracy. It is spiritual and already has a human who speaks and rules on the Father’s behalf - Jesus! (1 Timothy 2:5).

With all respect Mitchell, you brought up church confessions not me. Would you like me to provide some quotes from Jesus to support my claims?

[edit: I see where the confusion may have arisen. When I said the Early Church confession of ‘Jesus as Lord’ I wasn’t referring to a physical document but a statement spoken by New Testament christians. Ie: they confessed with their mouths that Jesus is Lord (see Romans 10:9). Apologies, i hope that clarifies the matter].

As to secular government, never said it wasn’t a good thing and never said Jesus didn’t endorse it. Again, the Kingdom of God is not physical political it is a spiritual theocracy.

It is a little more nuanced than that as it does impact ones choices in the here and now. But for all intense and purposes, yes.

1 Like