Redemption of all Creation

I was reading Christ and Evolution by Celia Dean Drummond and in it she criticises that theology has traditionally become too focused on human atonement theories and does not take into account the millions of years on non-human suffering and death that preceded our existence. If Christ is to “reconcile all things” what does that mean for suffering creation and a future for non-human life? Is there some sort of redeemed future for non-human life? Is the New Heavens and New Earth only to include resurrected humans. How can that be if God loves all creation?

What does she mean by “reconcile all things”?

My question would be why would non humans be excluded? They are referred to as souls with spirits just like us.

This came up Monday in Bible study. Jesus will redeem all of Creation. Biblically it’s there. The earth groans.

Do we take this literally? How can inanimate objects groan or truly be defiled to the point of needing redemption? Seems really odd to imagine a rock in need of redemption. I’m not sure what to make of this.

There seems to be an underlying thought in Christian thinking that the world is broken in some way. It’s hard to disagree with that. I can’t buy into a literal garden or all that original sin jazz but humanity does seem fallen. If one wanted evidence for one Christian dogma, well, the evidence for this one is never ending.

Not exactly Enlightenment metaphysics, is it?

2 Likes

OK rocks don’t suffer and can not feel and nor do they die. But what about all the organic life and particularly with higher degrees of nervous systems?

the simple theological fact here is the following:

1. The bible has genealogies that are only thousands of years in the making…not millions
  2. The bible tells us specifically that ALL CREATION is corrupted and tarnished by sin (there are no exceptions to this)
  3. All Creation will be purified by fire and then restored back to its former glory as it was before the fall of Adam and Eve

biblical references supporting the above statements of theology

Genesis 3:17-19

• Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;
  • Cursed is the ground because of you;

Genesis 5:29

• And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.

Romans 8:20-22

• For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

Hebrews 6:8

• but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.

2 Peter 2:10&11

• 10But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be destroyedd by fire, and the earth and its works will be laid bare.e

• 11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to conduct yourselves in holiness and godliness 12as you anticipate and hasten the coming of the day of God, when the heavens will be destroyed by fire and the elements will melt in the heat. 13But in keeping with God’s promise, we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Revelation 21:1&5

• 1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth,a for the first heaven and earth had passed away, and the sea was no more… 5And the One seated on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then He said, “Write this down, for these words are faithful and true.”

This question is not a dilemma for YEC as a normal reading of biblical language, because the writers of the bible already have provided the interpretation of Gods revelation to us, gives us the answer to your question.

Whilst Celia Dean Drummond may think that Christians focus too much on atonement (although i don’t know where the “human atonement” comes into this?), it is the essence of the gospel that atonement for sin be made (according to the model of the Old Testament Sanctuary Service).
I suggest that the mistake that Celia probably makes here is that she doesnt understand the point of the Old Testament Sanctuary service…that it is a description of exactly how salvation works!

I find it rather ironic that she claims that her book

“argues that the concepts of wisdom and wonder have special roles in both theology and science and can point to an integrated, inclusive spirituality and a fuller vision of life and the universe.”

clearly what it does highlight is that the book only causes more theological problems than it resolves!

I note that one review states…“I couldn’t follow 75% of the author’s arguments”

Im somewhat interested in her allegiance to the idea that Christ suffered alongside nature. This means that clearly even she accepts that sin caused corruption and suffering in nature. That is highly problematic for any theological connection to her scientific evolutionary views as it is contrary to the view that death and suffering were already here and that atonement has nothing to do with suffering in nature.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.