Reclaiming Design | The BioLogos Forum

I know you were talking to Eddie. But your distinction between non-scientific intelligent design and scientific intelligent design made me wonder… Is there really such a distinction possible?

We can talk about non-scientific gravity ( we fall to earth, not away from it), and scientific gravity (gravitational force of two bodies of mass is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Gravity formed the universe and caused time dilation. etc.) But they are not really different things. Even the “non-scientific” version is still based on observation and experience.

Non-scientific intelligent design is based on experience and observation. When something works, it looks like it was designed. When something works poorly, it looks like the design was flawed, or the the good design was changed, or the object did not follow the design. When something does not appear to work (do anything useful or purposeful with any sense of organization) then it does not look like it was designed… such as a rock slide or a volcano.

I see a natural progression between the idea of intelligent design as everyday observation, and the idea of demonstrating design through eliminating the random purposelessness of the object or event, by various specific measurements and replicable observations. So I think there is a false dichotomy between the two supposed types of intelligent design observations.

1 Like

@Gregory
Thanks for sharing your clarifications observations.

Fair enough. Maybe I got that impression reading some of the more technical scientific stuff that is really beyond me in some ways. When I read Coming to Peace With Science and Origins, (after having read Biologos white papers for about two years, this was before they really had blog posts if I remember correctly) I was surprised by how much theological contemplation was in them. (With the white papers, it seemed like they were a bit compartmentalized into ‘this is a theology paper by a Bible scholar’ and this is a science paper by a scientist’) Maybe I’m imagining it, but it seems that there has been more of an attempt at theological synthesis since Falk and Deborah Haarsma have been at the helm of the organization. Or maybe it’s just the blog posts and book clubs have made more room for that kind of thing.

Keeping in mind the context and audience matters, as you point out. As I read the posts and comments I try to keep in mind that some of the debates touch very close to some people’s core identities, and you have to filter what they say through that knowledge sometimes. (The reaction doesn’t seem to me fit the stimulus sometimes, but I am not nearly as invested identity-wise in any ‘side’ as many people who contribute and debate here are. I can imagine what it feels like though, since I used to get into it with my internet Neo-Calvinist friends over gender roles, so I know what it is like to bring personal baggage to a conversation. :grimacing: )

You and who else have found this? Why do you keep using the first person in this context?

Then how is it that you, without providing your identity, feel free to speak so often on behalf of an entity you broadly refer to as “ID”?

Here are a few examples from this very page:
9: “ID does not condition conservative Christians (or anyone else) to mistrust science.” “ID has no a priori commitments (such as a young earth, or the historicity of the Genesis account) which would block any particular scientific conclusion.”
20: “You are merely furthering popular errors about ID.”
40: "…nothing in ID per se requires anyone to go on, beyond ID, and engage in natural theology. ID can at best take one to the conclusion: “there is design here.” "

Your accusation is overwrought, as the complete post is immediately above Gregory’s truncation.

[quote]
You spliced together two sentences, cutting out important intervening words, to create an impression different from the one I intended. It is principle of quotation that one quotes a person not merely with exactitude as to the words, but in a way that does not mislead as to the intentions.[/quote]
This is SOP in the ID movement, except that ID writers don’t make it easy to find the context.

[quote=“johnZ, post:80, topic:746”]
I would say that in order to formulate a hypothesis, some definitions would first need to be agreed upon.[/quote]
I wouldn’t.

I think that’s called “assuming the antecedent.”

You’re asking me to agree with the hypothesis before you state it! You should be able to articulate a hypothesis and its empirical predictions unambiguously.

That seems useless. Real hypotheses make clear, real, empirical predictions. Those predictions are not subject to interpretation. Do you see how you appear to be avoiding science?

Again, the notion that something that meets any of the multiple definitions of IC cannot evolve is the hypothesis. You seem to be trying to pack the hypothesis into a definition to avoid thinking about testing it.

Exactly. So we seem to agree that the fundamental concept is useless.

Ah, but how small does it get? Have you done the math for yourself, John? Do you realize that the ID movement utterly ignores the highly quantitative field of population genetics?

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Formulating a real hypothesis that makes real, empirical predictions (“it can be shown” leaves way too much wiggle room) isn’t that hard. Isn’t it significant that no one in the ID movement has put forth a real ID hypothesis that makes real, testable predictions? Why is it all about arguments?

I’m all ears. But note that “whatever is claimed” has no place here. Useful hypotheses entail mechanisms and they make empirical, not rhetorical, predictions.

I do too, which is why it is merely a rhetorical, not a scientific, definition! What was Behe finally forced to admit?

Wait! Doesn’t an eye without a lens still detect light?

Here’s an ID hypothesis: the lens was intelligently designed to be a lens and its components were therefore not derived from other mechanisms. That means that its components, for example the remarkably transparent and refractive protein alpha-crystallin, will not fit into any nested protein sequence hierarchy.

Exactly! Let’s test my ID hypothesis, John!

There would be plenty if the components were co-opted.

[quote]
I do not have a huge disagreement with dcsccc, but only a small difference. I think YEC will predict that some fossils will be out of place. I don’t think placement of fossils is directly related to ID.[/quote]
I’d call that a huge disagreement!

What is the “order of complexity”? Is it anything like a nested hierarchy?

Interesting game you’re playing here, Eddie.

When multiple people whom you claim to represent ID (Behe, Minnich, et al.) have participated in the failed defense of the Dover school board, you point to what’s written on the DI web site.

When a DI fellow, enshrined in his own page on the DI web site:
http://www.discovery.org/p/208
…says something you don’t agree with, you claim that he represents neither the DI nor ID.

When an actual DI blog says something that contradicts you, you magically become a mindreader and somehow know that the author didn’t really mean it.

But multiple DI fellows (Behe, Minnich, Dembski and Meyer), whom you explicitly claim represent ID, signed on to testify in defense of a school board that did exactly that. The latter two withdrew, but Behe took the stand to disastrous effect. Behe represents ID in your view, doesn’t he, Eddie?

DI fellows whom you openly admire actively helped push ID in the Dover schools and failed miserably.

Also, please supply a score or so of the alleged scores of quotes to that effect. I am skeptical that such accusations exist.

So let me see if I understand you: the DI represents ID when you (a pseudonymous commenter) say so, and doesn’t when you say they don’t. That’s the depth of analysis I see here.

Who appointed or elected you to judge, Eddie?

1 Like

“your distinction between non-scientific intelligent design and scientific intelligent design”

That is not a distinction I made. Please check the record to confirm who made it.

“there is a false dichotomy”

A fair dichotomy, as I mentioned above, would be cleared up if IDists at the DI (not just loose cannon IDists who either reject or don’t support key DI claims) would stop equivocating about ‘varieties of design/Design.’ Do you think they ever will stop equivocating, johnZ?

Okay, you didn’t make the distinction, but spent quite a bit of time discussing it (as apparently a distinction made by others, along with the equivocation…). Okay. I am more interested in whether a distinction can actually be made (not with whether certain people equivocate or not). I do not get my kicks arguing about what people did or didn’t say. I am more interested in the concepts themselves.

Did you mean “fair” dichotomy, or false dichotomy? What is a fair dichotomy in this instance. do you then think that one can distinguish between non-scientific and scientific ID? Or not?

Eddie might also answer this question…

Just for everyone’s amusement (and also because it is relevant to the discussion), attached is an article I wrote for the school newspaper while in high school pertaining to the Dover case. It’s a good window into my own ID days, and how I interpreted the movement’s stance on the subject of Dover (and school curriculums in general).

1 Like

@BradKramer
I vote for more posts for everyone’s amusement.

Also, I feel compelled to point out that Mr. Smiley the Koala god :koala: used a eucalyptus wand to create the world. It was the pandas :panda_face: he created that ate the forbidden bamboo :bamboo: (yes, there’s an emoticon for that too!) and brought sin and death into the world and made them an endangered species. At least, that’s the Code of Koala I was taught…

1 Like

And yet you wrote, “So some atheists would argue that the design got there by accident.”

I haven’t seen any quotes to support that claim.

“I am more interested in whether a distinction can actually be made (not with whether certain people equivocate or not).”

Sorry, johnZ, I’m not interested in the dichotomy you have raised and repeated and will say nothing to it. If you wish to read above again, the distinction I prefer goes along with other scientists, theologians and scholars.

If you are really not interested in the DI’s equivocation about varieties of ‘design/Design’, then it would just take the ‘reclaiming design’ thread off on a tangent. So, no thanks, but ‘nice to meet you’ anyway. :wink:

“Eddie might also answer this question…”

Unfortunately, in this case asking Eddie for help won’t help because he too has thus far avoided answering the above questions re: ‘reclaiming design’. And he actually seems to support & promote the DI’s intentional equivocation of terms, rather than to recognise it as highly problematic. W.L. Craig’s statements are no doubt very tough stuff for Eddie to process.

“It was the pandas :panda_face: he created that ate the forbidden bamboo :bamboo:

Ah, yes, the forbidden (evolutionarily created) bamboo! :wink:

It might be an interesting post at BioLogos, Brad, for you to write a letter to yourself from 10 years later telling what you know now to your younger self. Given the trajectory you’ve gone through from then until now, it sounds like you are the right person for the position having survived YECism and seen through IDism. Now to have come out the other ‘side’ to TE/EC still with your Christian faith intact, what would you say to yourself then?

(Goodness, in high school? I was about to enter PhD in 2005!)

What we learned from Eddie’s older generation personal story is that he is as ‘troubled’ by his atheist past as some TE/ECs are troubled by their YECist pasts.

“you see things that remind you of [atheism], and so your reaction to [theistic evolution] is visceral.” - Eddie

This likely helps to explain his impassioned and hawkish defenses of IDism, as if one simply has to accept IDT if they are a Christian (or Muslim, Jew or Baha’i). W.L. Craig’s recent words, even while he is a DI Fellow, put the lie to that forceful claim as an over-reaction against youthful atheism.

“you were so clear-headed back then, and so confused now”

Maybe Eddie was clear headed then, but confused now?

“I was a diehard Darwinian, mocking creationist readings of the Bible. I looked around for creationists to pick fights with!”

And now it is the opposite; you look for TE/ECs to pick fights with who you believe hold to “unsustainable Christian theology” and of course also atheists?

“formulated a philosophical version of ID before I ever knew the term.”

Did you have a name for it of your own? Or was it simply the classical ‘design argument’ (natural theology) without requiring it to be ‘strictly scientific’ like IDT?

“One could have ‘intelligent design’ plus ‘evolution’ plus the inner meaning of Genesis plus orthodox Christian teaching on Creation, sovereignty, providence, etc. – all within the framework of ID-evolutionism. Problem solved.”

No, there are too many contradictions, confusions & equivocations in that idyllic POV.
1) there are no proponents of ‘ID-evolutionism’ in the DI among IDT leaders. Not a single person on planet Earth is defending Eddie-ID-evolutionism except for Eddie.
2) Lowercase ‘intelligent design’ (design argument of natural theology) plus evolution already exists in TE/EC; there is no need to add IDT to it.
3) If “the inner meaning of Genesis” were shared by IDists and BioLogos plus…, then there would be no need for BioLogos to distinguish themselves from either YECists or IDists. The young earth ‘creation science’ of YECists and the ‘strictly scientific’ theory of IDists (meaning, the DI and its Fellows, not loose cannons who don’t hold the ‘official’ position) is problematic for claims to a universal “inner meaning of Genesis” across the Christian spectrum.

It would help if the DI took a ‘strictly scientific’ stand against YECism, but it still hasn’t. BioLogos, however, has demonstrated courage and commitment to do just that, in order to help heal the faith-science divide that has raged in the USA for decades.

To solve the divide, IDism in the long-run won’t help and it is about more than eating the ‘forbidden bamboo’! ; )

“on the Discovery site and on other ID sites, you will find endless complaints of exactly the type I have made, that various critics of ID – including Francis Collins, Ken Miller, Darrel Falk, Karl Giberson, Alister [sic] McGrath, and many others – have misunderstood or misrepresented the ID position.” – Eddie

Misunderstanding & misrepresentation would shrink considerably if the Discovery Institute (DI) showed the courage to face serious challenges from Christian scholars to its communicative behaviour of equivocating varieties of ‘design/Design.’ Do you agree or disagree, Eddie that the DI should clarify itself about their equivocation, given these respected Christian scholars’ pointed statements distinguishing IDT and ‘design argument’?

Now that William Lane Craig has initiated open, transparent communication in public about this, perhaps the DI will finally face the music too. Imo, the DI is long overdue to make a public statement on behalf of the IDM to clarify itself about varieties of ‘design/Design’. BioLogos could help this process by writing to the DI asking for clarification. For a randomly located IDT advocate, defender, proponent, etc. to suggest the DI doesn’t equivocate about varieties of design/Design, they would have to either be illiterate, intentionally deceptive or on the DI’s secret payroll.

“The main issue is how ID is to be defined, and who gets to define it.” – Eddie

If that’s really the case, then you should eventually return to the main point of the thread: ‘reclaiming design’ from the DI and IDists, i.e. from calls for a ‘strictly scientific revolution!’

The DI and their Fellows, who are leaders of the IDM of course should “get to define it”, ‘it’ meaning IDT. This is a rather small and obvious point (one which brings far too much pity-seeking amongst ‘misunderstood’ IDists). So, let me confirm to Eddie that I agree he is correct about that.

But the DI & their Fellows also need to (eventually, since they haven’t yet, even with Dembskian probabilism) provide ‘strictly scientific evidence’ if they insist on the ‘strict scientificity’ of their ‘theory’. They have provided thus far (20+ years) ZERO evidence of when, where and how the supposed uppercase ‘Intelligence’ engaged in a process of ‘designing’ nature; Zero, None, Nada, Zilch. That’s a serious problem for a so-called ‘strictly scientific’ theory!

The flip-side to this predicament is that the DI shouldn’t get to manipulate ‘design argument’ as natural theology into being a ‘strictly scientific’ theory, since design arguments have a much longer and deeper history than the DI’s ‘strictly scientific’ claims to theory. Do you agree or disagree, Eddie?

The main point of ‘reclaiming design’ really isn’t “what does IDT affirm or not affirm?” That’s based on a skewed personal view that simply reading more IDist texts will automatically make one accept IDism. This thread, however, is about varieties of ‘design argument’, not limited to (or even necessarily properly called) ‘IDism.’

The main points are rather:
1) why does the DI equivocate between varieties of ‘design/Design’ and not admit it publically, transparently, openly?
2) Why doesn’t the DI address the point of Christians like Craig, Gingerich, Barr, Haarsma and Falk, who distinguish uppercase ‘modern’ IDT (‘strictly scientific’) from lowercase classical ‘intelligent design’ (natural theology)?
3) And will the DI ever make a public statement to the effect that IDT is not and cannot actually be ‘strictly scientific’, but rather at its core part of a science, philosophy and theology/worldview discourse?

For all of his claims to speak on behalf of IDists and IDism, Eddie’s not really acting as a ‘bridge builder’ between the IDM and TE/EC that he would like to be in so far as he doesn’t address these important and now obvious questions.

“what we are talking about here, which is what ID’s theoretical (not political) position is.” – Eddie

No, sorry Eddie. What you would most like to talk and persuade people about pro-IDism differs from “what we are talking about here.” Instead of merely welcoming a monopoly by the DI over the term ‘design/Design’, we’re talking here about the possibility that the term ‘design’ could be equivocated and even could and should be ‘reclaimed’ by theists from the radicalisation that has happened to it over the past 20 years as a result of the DI and the IDM. That’s what I came back to BioLogos specifically to address.

That radicalisation by the DI is political, social, cultural, educational and religious; not just ‘strictly scientific’. To deny any of these realms from the conversation would only show that a person misrepresents the IDM or doesn’t acknowledge enough the dark side of the IDist bargain to be an ‘honest broker’.

After having spoken with DI leaders who represent the CSC, including West, Chapman, Nelson and Luskin, I suspect that Jantzen’s book is exactly the kind of the thing the DI doesn’t want because it threatens to expose its intentional equivocation over ‘varieties of design/Design’. Dembski’s 2004 band aid rhetoric wasn’t as medicinal as he’d have hoped, since many people have penetrated it since then. And like I said, once that equivocation is publically exposed, the IDM is in serious danger of collapse, both financially and ideologically.

Again, for Eddie’s sake: people who promote ‘intelligent design’ but don’t insist on its ‘scientificity’ are not actually defending the DI’s very specific definitions of IDT. Isn’t that you?

‘Design’ is one concept among many others in a wide and broad science, philosophy and theology/worldview conversation. The Christian God is much more than a ‘designer’. The DI’s IDM, however, is rather unbalanced and obsessively ‘design-centric’ and equivocates about varieties of ‘design’. This is a major problem with their public appeal that they have attempted to hide via equivocation.

joao. see here for example:

http://www.nature.com/news/phylogeny-rewriting-evolution-1.10885

so there is no such hierarchy in the phylogeny field.

and about the car. do you agree that a car is ic system or not?