How do I stay on topic?

Moderator made this thread because I fail how to stay on topic.
I’ve been on topic for 5 days now. As I have been using advice that has helped me.
How do we delete thread? Is there a possibility?

As this is sort of a new topic, will give it its own post. Will let others who are more expert discuss, but will start things off by saying Philistines basically means Sea People so they tended to settle near the coast, away from the interior areas. And were tough invasive types. Think Mediterranean Vikings.

1 Like

And along the Jordan

Numbers 13:29 The Amalekites dwell in the land of the Negeb. The Hittites, the Jebusites, and the Amorites dwell in the hill country. And the Canaanites dwell by the sea, and along the Jordan.

1 Like

The Exodus happened because the Children of Israel were placed under bondage (AKA slavery) in Egypt and God raised Moses to free His people.

1 Like

That’s the Canaanites, not the Philistines. Where exactly the Philistines came from is not entirely clear but they are unlikely to have been of Canaanite origin.

Yeah my bad. I have had Canaan on the brain. I did find this in looking up what we do know.

Which doesn’t hold out much hope for answering @riversea 's questions.

They had iron weapons before their neighbors did, so that was an advantage.

They were polytheists, and essentially had the same general set as the local Canaanites.

In our own day, a Philistine can refer to an uncultured person.

The view that the Philistines arose unknowingly and invaded Israel around 1200 BCE faces the problem that Abraham and Abimelech made a treaty at Beersheba and Abimelech returned to the land of the Philistines thereafter ( Bible, Genesis 21:32). But there is no evidence of Philistines at c. 2000 BCE time of Abraham.

The Hebrews had earlier tried to raid the Philistines and take away their flocks. They were killed by the Philistines (Bible, Exodus 13.17-18. Targum Jonathan, Exodus 13-17). But there is no evidence of Philistines around 1500-1300 BCE before the time of the Exodus.

At the time of the Exodus, the Mediterranean coast was occupied by Canaanites, not by the Philistines who arrived in the West Asia around 12th century. Yet Exodus 13.17 says they inhabited the area around 1500 BCE during the times of Moses. Further, God led the Hebrews from Egypt to Canaan “around by the wilderness of the Red Sea” instead of “by the way of land of Philistines, although that was near” (Ex 13.17-18). This indicates that Philistines were located closer to the route from Egypt to Canaan. But the land of Philistines is located north of Canaan.

At about 1200 BCE the Philistines appear to have invaded Palestine. That does not tell us where the “Land of Philistines” at the time of Abraham and Moses was located.

A possible (tentative and even speculative) link with the Indus Valley may be available through the Phoenicians. Maria Eugenia Aubet, a leading Phoenician expert at Pempeu Fabra University in Barcelona: “I think [sea peoples] became friends, Phoenician material culture shows so many elements from the Sea Peoples. The Phoenicians learned from them how to build harbors, moorings, docks, and piers. The Sea Peoples, like the Phoenicians, were excellent navigators — and how they knew the routes west to the rich sources of metals." (ORIGIN OF THE PHOENICIANS AND CANAANITES, SEA PEOPLES AND PHILISTINES | Facts and Details).

The Indian Ocean was formerly named the Erythraean Sea (Herodotus, Dicaearchus, Eratosthenes, Posidonius and Strabo), where the Phoenicians formerly dwelt and need long voyages to migrate to the Mediterranean. Implicit in this account is that the Phoenicians were originated from the “East” or “Asiatic” at the shore of the Indian Ocean. (The Phoenicians | Atlantis in the Java Sea).

1 Like

The thing is is I never created this thread

I never created this thread

However I never created this thread.

However I never created this thread.

Due to the disjointed nature of this post, will close and further discussion can be done on the other thread.

1 Like