Predestination or Free Will?

God can be as omintemporal as He likes, the only temporal He can be omni about is now. Nothing else is. Nothing that was or shall be.

Just like us? I donā€™t think so. You are limiting him to sequential time. Our sequential time.

ā€¦to us.

What did Jesus say?

ā€¦before Abraham was born, I am!

Time is a sequence of nows. Only now, which is a tad fuzzy, is real.

Jesusā€™ seven uses of ā€˜I amā€™ is a statement of His provenance. Not that He was alive and well as YHWH two thousand years before He said it concurrently.

That is utter non sense.

Okay. Sure.

Godā€™s omnitemporality may appear to be ā€˜non senseā€™ to us who are limited to sequential time. That does not mean it is. Do you think that our timeline and rate of change in this physical universe is necessarily the only one that can exist ā€˜concurrentlyā€™?

Of course not Dale. Itā€™ll be fuzzy. But the past is still dead and the future hasnā€™t been born.

Correct. To those of us in sequential time. But not to God.

It makes no difference Dale. None at all. Itā€™s a meaningless proliferation of entities that changes nothing.

Why isnā€™t that a meaningless statement that changes nothing?

God is still sovereign over time and timing, place and placing.

Dale. What difference does it make? Seriously. Openly.

Iā€™ve no idea what that means Dale. Like free will. Genuinely. Itā€™s all truly meaningless to me. There again Iā€™m Aspergerā€™sesque. Put it down to that. I must be disabled, you know something I canā€™t.

It means that God is worthy of our trust. That is not meaningless. How can he be worthy of our trust if he is not sovereign?

God is worthy of our trust because Heā€™s good. I couldnā€™t give a ā– ā– ā– ā–  - wow thatā€™s censored! delta alpha mike november - about His meaningless sovereignty otherwise.

1 Like

If he is not sovereign, his is powerless in his goodness and can do no good for his children.

I wonā€™t argue with that.

Everything you say is meaningless, purposeless. You said so yourself:

Then why do you bother saying anything? Either you donā€™t really believe that, or you donā€™t know what you believe or youā€™re being disingenuous.

Then it would seem that evolution is not real. Evolution says that the4 present is based in the past, so the past must be ā€œreal.ā€ Also Science says that since the Big Bang is real, then the Beginning is real and time, past. present and future, is real.

I do not think God is omnitemporal as @Dale claims. God created time out of nothing in the Beginning, so time a real, but also time is free, because God ,made it to have integrity and reality. God does not predetermine time, nor does God predetermine us and the rest of Godā€™s Creation, which allows for Science to exist and flourish. This is hard to understand , but this what God reveals to us, and science confirms it as well as logic.

Spurious semantics Relates. You know what I mean and actually agree. But there is no Beginning of beginnings.

Hi Dale. Peace be with you. And I apologize for my dysfunctional - catty - tone.

To business if I may. Your logic is perfect. If God is not sovereign in some way, not an actual interventionist, then yes, to use your excellent phrase, He is powerless in His goodness, and yes, can do no good for His children. Which is what I see, what I experience. That goes counter to the language of the Bible. But to me it does not go counter to God, who is as good as it gets. Who is as good to us as He possibly can be.

The ways I do see God intervening are first, in being the ground of being; the ground of provision, second, proving it by incarnation, third, ineffably by the Spirit and fourth, in letting us love Him. Closing the circuit. Ongoing incarnation. I do not see Him intervening at all otherwise. Otherwise He would and there would be no room for doubt. And doubt is essential for faith. Yes even doubt to the point of His being at all. Which is perfectly rational. Not disabling.

For fifth, He will transcend us all and every other fallen sparrow.

No I believe it and know what I believe and Iā€™m not being disingenuous, in the light of my previous reply to your previous comment. God is sovereign in the only way He can be. As if He werenā€™t in every sense. Until we die to enter paradise.

Itā€™s curious that you would say that ā€“ he is both sovereign and intervening in scripture.