Prayer :Does it work?

Thank you for this @Christy. I was trying to be as helpful to @NickolaosPappas as possible, as the wording of a prayer and its intent is very crucial to determine its impact. The pope just demonstrated this, thankfully.

The traditional Lord’s Prayer was falsely passed down as “Lead us not into temptation.” This conflicts with the beginning of prayer, “may Thy Will be done.” What value is a prayer to God to ask Him to not do something that is His Will, like testing us with temptation?

The pope corrected the Prayer and increased its effectiveness dramatically by asking God to be with us during temptation - “Lead us through temptation.” In my first post above I tried to show how important these little words are in changing the intent of prayer, and I hope this post does too.
Best Wishes, Shawn

1 Like

Praying is like flossing your teeth.

I have had great personal results when I do it, I don’t (and I think most people don’t) do it as much as I should.

There is no scientific evidence that it actually produces results.

@NickolaosPappas, your question about whether prayer “works” or not is a great question. As a Pastor I am confronted with this question in various forms many times. As a Christ-follower myself, I also have to wrestle with this question in my own life. Additionally, seeing the brokenness in the world, I have to ask myself this question with regard to the what the rest of the world experiences too.

One of the very tough things about answering your question is that it is very difficult to sometimes to define what “works” means. Using the example of the Lord’s Prayer that has been cited several times in this thread already we can note several things:

1. Jesus encourages prayer to be personal and simple. Many English translations have Jesus’ prayer starting with something like “Our Father, who art in heaven.” This is not a very good translation for modern readers because it is far too formal for what Jesus originally taught his disciples. A translation that gets at the sense of what Jesus teaches here would be something like “Dear Dad in Heaven”. Jesus then goes on to say that we should pray that all people would praise God’s name and worship God appropriately on Earth as it is already done in heaven. You could say, “Dear Dad in Heaven, please help all the people on Earth to come to know who you really are and help them to praise you because of that.”
  2. Jesus then teaches us to pray that all the wrongs of this world would be made right. That is what he means when he tells the disciples to pray that God’s Kingdom would come, and God’s will would be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Jesus is telling his disciples to pray in a very big way here. In theological terms we call this “eschatological”—we are praying for the coming of the divine future.
  3. Jesus also then teaches us that our prayers should not only touch on “spiritual things” like asking that people would worship God, or future things (like the Kingdom coming) but that our prayers ought to also be practical—pray for our daily bread…you could say “Dear Dad in heaven,…please provide our food today.”
  4. Jesus reminds us to then pray for God to forgive our sins—but he also reminds us that we should pray that it would be disingenuous to pray for forgiveness for our own sins if we’re not forgiving others. (“Forgive us our sins, as we forgive others”)
  5. Others have mentioned this too…the translation “Lead us not into temptation” is a bad translation…Jesus is teaching us to ask God to protect us from temptation and from the spiritual forces of evil…Satan and the like.
  6. And the last part, “For thine is the Kingdom…” is not really a part of what Jesus taught…it was a later addition by someone else.

So, Jesus teaches us to:

• Relate to God personally: He is our “Dad in heaven”
  • Pray for the “big stuff”: “Please make the whole world right, God”
  • Pray for the everyday stuff: “Please give us food”
  • Pray for our personal spiritual needs: “Please forgive me, but please also help me to forgive others”, and “Please protect me from evil”

Now, this is what Jesus teaches us to pray. However, we need to note a few more things:

1. Jesus is reluctant to teach his disciples “how to pray”. He only does so because they ask him to teach them how to pray like John the Baptist teaches his disciples how to pray. What Jesus really seems to want is for his disciples to figure out what to pray on their own. Jesus condemns the idea of praying with lots of fancy words, and Jesus condemns the idea of praying arrogantly. He affirms the idea of quiet, humble personal, relational prayer with God.
  2. Just because Jesus teaches us that this is how to pray, it doesn’t mean that praying in this way will get us what we want. As was noted elsewhere we are to pray for “God’s will to be done”—and not necessarily our own. Even Jesus himself prayed that the “cup of suffering” (on the cross) would be taken from him—but God effectively said, “No.”

So, for me, prayer “works” in the sense that it helps build my relationship with God. This is true, for me, in the same way that talking with my wife “works” in helping us build a relationship. When I talk with my lovely wife I don’t always end up “getting what I want”—but I do end up in a closer relationship with her. This is the primary way in which prayer “works”—in building relationship with God.

Secondarily, and somewhat incidentally, sometimes prayer “works” in the sense that God and I come to agreement about something in such a way that I get what I asked for…God gives me daily bread, God helps me forgive someone, etc., But that isn’t the point. God always “answers” my prayers…“Yes”, “No”, “Later”, “You decide”, etc., but the key isn’t God’s answer, the key is the relationship.

Do I like the fact that there are many in this world who genuinely ask God for daily bread and do not get it? Am I okay with the fact that many in the world ask God to protect them from evil, and instead they suffer abuse, or worse? No. I’m not okay with that. I’m not even okay with the fact that God doesn’t just “fix” me and make me “perfect” so that I don’t hurt people or do wrong anymore. These are some of the biggest things I talk about with God.

The key is, though, that we talk with God. That is what prayer is for, and that is how it “works”, IMHO.

4 Likes

Why does actually the Lords prayer says “Let us not into temptation”. So we beg God to not temp us? I dont understand this one

Yes, I think this is a helpful translation adjustment. I think the meaning of the original text is along the lines of “help us not to yield to temptation,” the idea that God gives strength in trials to those who ask, not the idea that God might bring us to a place of temptation like the English “lead us not into temptation” implies.

I think this is really essential. Many of us have gotten the impression that prayer is transactional in nature, either a requirement to get what we want from God, or some kind of work of righteousness that earns us godliness. Prayer is relational. Its benefits are relational. God cares about us and the desires of our hearts and wants to give good gifts to his children, so it is fine and good to ask God for things in the context of our relationship with him as our Father and Provider. But most importantly, prayer (and I would include prayerfully meditating on Scripture in that) is how we encounter God as a Person, and that is how our faith is deepened, we become assured of his love for us, we experience the peace and joy of being connected to our Creator, and we hold on to the hope of his promises.

3 Likes

Thanks for the question as it just gave me the eureka moment.
I prayed since the early eighties “und führe uns durch die Versuchung” which is equivalent to lead us through the temptation, because it reflected my wishful thinking about God better. The pope now discovers in his old age desperately trying to give Christianity and its core prayer more populistic appeal the same wishful God. I now revert back to the original as I suddenly see it differently. The problem is in the “Us” because the us in our society is not the self any more.
If you want to change the Lords prayer to the modern time you have to understand that we are broken at the US level (oh what doppeldeutigkeit here) as it isn’t part of the me any more. The US is the problem. Try to say My father…and forgive me my sins as I forgive those who sinned against me - at which you put God inside yourself as you can only commit a sin against God. At that point you ask the God inside you not to go the way of temptation but to free yourself of evil thoughts and then recognise the spirit within you as a separate entity again as in addressing it as “you” again.
I wish I could find the words to express what I feel but I hope some of you get the drift and might help me to say it better.

1 Like

Nick…Miracles do happen. I actually agree with Shawn Murphy in his response (of 6 days ago) to you. Yes, prayer does work. But God is no one’s fool.

I suppose that I have been around the block on this one, and I do not know what others here will say or have said — aside from Shawn. But when it comes to “prayer working,” this sometimes means we want God to do what we want, give us what we want/need (NOW, of course)…

There is usually nothing wrong with that. I can think of lots of scenarios, people I have seen or known, situations I have been in (etc etc) where prayer worked or did not…a woman who asked God to kill her husband (God said No) and the woman got mad and gave up religion (seriously — it happened)…others who got mad because God would not find them a husband and then they went off and began sleeping with their daughter’s boyfriend…

I have seen prayer result in surprising things happen — I had a severe case of sciatica and told God “you would not really heal me, would you? That was for some other era and You don’t work that way?” — and before I had even finished saying that, the pain was gone and I feel asleep — and slept unusually well.

If I have seen prayer working when I hardly expected it, I have to assume Someone is listening even if and when the outcome seems lacking or not what I wanted or somewhere far in the future … or maybe, yes, even “The Answer is NO”…

Yes, there is some faith involved in that answer. But also personal experience…

And that is my two cents’ worth.

Of course prayer works. But… God has much more information about consequences than we do. An innocent sounding request can be frought with repercussions.
The part of the Lords Prayer we should remember is:
God’s will be done on earth (as it is in Heaven ).

Perhaps that puts things more into perspective.

Richard

1 Like

I know this thread on prayer isn’t all that recent, but rather than starting a new thread, I would rather add to this thread a bit of George Macdonald wisdom I freshly ran across today regarding the efficacy of prayer. Keep in mind his conversational “query-answer” writing style as you read this. The extra paragraph breaks help call attention to that.

Excerpt from George Macdonald’s unspoken sermon (2nd series) “The Word of Jesus’ Word on Prayer”

As to the so-called scientific challenge to prove the efficacy of prayer by the result of simultaneous petition, I am almost ashamed to allude to it. There should be light enough in science itself to show the proposal absurd. A God capable of being so moved in one direction or another, is a God not worth believing in—could not be the God believed in by Jesus Christ—and he said he knew. A God that should fail to hear, receive, attend to one single prayer, the feeblest or worst, I cannot believe in; but a God that would grant every request of every man or every company of men, would be an evil God—that is no God, but a demon. That God should hang in the thought-atmosphere like a windmill, waiting till men enough should combine and send out prayer in sufficient force to turn his outspread arms, is an idea too absurd. God waits to be gracious not to be tempted. A man capable of proposing such a test, could have in his mind no worthy representative idea of a God, and might well disbelieve in any: it is better to disbelieve than believe in a God unworthy.

‘But I want to believe in God. I want to know that there is a God that answers prayer, that I may believe in him. There was a time when I believed in him. I prayed to him in great and sore trouble of heart and mind, and he did not hear me. I have not prayed since.’

How do you know that he did not hear you?

‘He did not give me what I asked, though the weal of my soul hung on it.’

In your judgment. Perhaps he knew better.

‘I am the worse for his refusal. I would have believed in him if he had heard me.’

Till the next desire came which he would not grant, and then you would have turned your God away. A desirable believer you would have made! A worthy brother to him who thought nothing fit to give the Father less than his all! You would accept of him no decision against your desire! That ungranted, there was no God, or not a good one! I think I will not argue with you more. This only I will say: God has not to consider his children only at the moment of their prayer. Should he be willing to give a man the thing he knows he would afterwards wish he had not given him? If a man be not fit to be refused, if he be not ready to be treated with love’s severity, what he wishes may perhaps be given him in order that he may wish it had not been given him; but barely to give a man what he wants because he wants it, and without farther purpose of his good, would be to let a poor ignorant child take his fate into his own hands—the cruelty of a devil. Yet is every prayer heard; and the real soul of the prayer may require, for its real answer, that it should not be granted in the form in which it is requested.

…and then from the very next sermon in the same series; “Man’s Difficulty Concerning Prayer”

‘How should any design of the All-wise be altered in response to prayer of ours!’

How are we to believe such a thing?

By reflecting that he is the All-wise, who sees before him, and will not block his path. Such objection springs from poorest idea of God in relation to us. It supposes him to have cares and plans and intentions concerning our part of creation, irrespective of us. What is the whole system of things for, but our education? Does God care for suns and planets and satellites, for divine mathematics and ordered harmonies, more than for his children? I venture to say he cares more for oxen than for those. He lays no plans irrespective of his children; and, his design being that they shall be free, active, live things, he sees that space be kept for them: they need room to struggle out of their chrysalis, to undergo the change that comes with the waking will, and to enter upon the divine sports and labours of children in the house and domain of their Father. Surely he may keep his plans in a measure unfixed, waiting the free desire of the individual soul! Is not the design of the first course of his children’s education just to bring them to the point where they shall pray? and shall his system appointed to that end be then found hard and fast, tooth-fitted and inelastic, as if informed of no live causing soul, but an unself-knowing force—so that he cannot answer the prayer because of the system which has its existence for the sake of the prayer? True, in many cases, the prayer, far more than the opportunity of answering it, is God’s end; but how will the further end of the prayer be reached, which is oneness between the heart of the child and of the Father? how will the child go on to pray if he knows the Father cannot answer him? Will not may be for love, but how with a self-imposed cannot? How could he be Father, who creating, would not make provision, would not keep room for the babbled prayers of his children? Is his perfection a mechanical one? Has he himself no room for choice—therefore can give none? There must be a Godlike region of choice as there is a human, however little we may be able to conceive it. It were a glory in such system that its suns themselves wavered and throbbed at the pulse of a new child-life.

MacDonald, George. The Complete Works of George MacDonald. Kindle Edition.

2 Likes

It never invokes intervention apart from ineffably by the Spirit, no. And it works psychologically of course.

How does it work Psychologically exactly?

How does it work for you Nick? What’s your story on it?

Well it doesnt really thats why i posted this question.

Macdonald elsewhere in those same sermons takes great pains to remind the reader that all his advice is useless to any reader who will not actually get on with actual prayer. I.e. there will be no understanding, much less any ‘psychological satisfaction’ to oneself apart from the actual activity - actually praying. And even then, the satisfaction of the supplicant is not something guaranteed (think of Jesus asking that the cup pass from him or Paul three times asking for his ‘thorn’ to be removed). Or to put it better, the petitioner learns to find their satisfaction in their trust of and relationship with their good Father in heaven rather than in the requested gift - that they would value the giver more than the gift whether the latter seems forthcoming or not. In either case, the faithful supplicant rests in the knowledge that God hears and has it all in hand, and that if the answer is ‘no’, then it must be for the best.

1 Like

We all pray all the time. The answer is always is always in His grounded provision, either internally, from ourselves, our story telling capacity, or in the time and chance of life.

Sorry Nick. I can only speak for myself. It’s first aid for the mind. For my mental leprosy. Not the only one, talking with others, especially my wife and son do that, differently (I have to protect my wife, my son needs to be rawly, safely honest and needs me to resonate as a more experienced equal), interacting with others in an open way. But I can say things to God or my idealized projected self, whichever you prefer, that I could not say to anyone else. You know, the dark, nasty, squalid, shameful, bitter, intrusive, afflicting stuff, howling wilderness stuff, the Hell panel from Bosch’s The Garden of Earthly Delights stuff :slight_smile: in as objective and coherent a fashion as possible. As well as a total raving nutter. It’s better than cursing myself. It also helps with the existential angst, you know, reasonably telling God that the idea of Him is ridiculous, that transcendence just can’t, doesn’t work. But I still want it. I still want to believe that all will be well for everyone forever; that Jesus saves, meaning He’ll fix everything for everyone in absurdly impossible post mortem paradise.

That kind of thing.

Ooh, and it helps, it really helps, to SAY thank you. To count your blessings. Even in loss.

3 Likes

Well, let’s see.

Okay, now I have to go check the news to see if there has been a sea change in the amount of rancor and partisan politics in the country.

Darn.

:wink:

I have a feeling that isn’t exactly the way it is supposed to work.

1 Like

Hi Nick,
I rejoice in hearing of your newfound faith!

In regards to your question about unanswered prayer. It might also be helpful to reflect on Jesus’ prayer in the garden of Gethsemane, when He knew the time for his betrayal and crucifixion was near.

Luke 22:41-44
He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Jesus must have known that his prayer to “take this cup from me” could not be answered, which is why he said “yet not my will, but yours be done.” However, taking that time to convene with His Father clearly helped Jesus reflect on the importance of what He was about to go through and helped strengthen Jesus for His mission. Reading Jesus’ prayer now also helps us understand how difficult Jesus’s mission was, and helps us appreciate His sacrifice, and helps us worship and thank God for His work on our behalf.

1 Like

It might also be helpful for you to know that sometimes answers to prayer are a VERY long time in coming.

I was raised in a nonchristian home by an atheist and an agnostic. I was born again at the end of my time in college in 1998. I have been praying since then for the salvation of my parents. I believe my father was saved a few years later. However, only now after 20 years of prayer am I gaining more hope that this prayer will also be answered for my mother. I just learned a few weeks ago that my mother has started reading a One Year Bible. So I continue to pray that she will encounter God through her reading this year.

It also took 10 years of praying for me to meet my husband. Those prayers were sometimes anxious and I worried that they would never be answered. However, the Lord used that time to bring me to a place of acceptance and into a deeper relationship with Him. I realized that EVEN IF my desire for a husband were never fulfilled in my current lifetime, that that good desire was pointing me to my relationship with the Lord, which would ultimately be fulfilled in heaven. Looking back now, it makes sense why I had to wait for so long. It also amazes me how beautifully the Lord answered my prayer, with a man who fits me so well, and is better than I could have imagined for myself. I feel that I don’t deserve that blessing, but I thank God for it.

Hear are some more scriptures which could help us think about how God shapes us through our prayers (whether answered or “unanswered”…and to be answered in heaven):

Daniel 3:17-18
Daniel speaking to King Nebuchadnezzar:
"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

Hebrews 11 (which some people call the “hall of faith” passage)

v13-16 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Deutoronomy 8:3

He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

Psalm 16

1 Keep me safe, my God,
for in you I take refuge.

2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing.”
3 I say of the holy people who are in the land,
“They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
4 Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
or take up their names on my lips.

5 Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
you make my lot secure.
6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
7 I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
> even at night my heart instructs me.
8 I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
nor will you let your faithful one see decay.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

2 Likes