Pharaoh’s Magicians:Evolution, The Bible, and Modern Gnosticism

The Ultimate Word of God is Jesus Christ the Logos.

The author has no idea what Gnosticism is. Gnosticism values the “spiritual” over the physical, more like YEC than evolution. It also claims that salvation is based on secret spiritual “knowledge,” similar to evangelical ideology, not openly available scientific information.

Depending how you define “reptile”: cladistically or as a grade. Cladistic Reptilia includes
extinct diapsids, all modern reptiles, Parareptilia, and birds, but not diadectimorphs or basal synapsids.

I suspected as much. I think I’ll be fine sticking with how Jesus said it instead.

3 Likes

Sorry but a list of scriptures that I have read and studied many times does nothing to support your position. Sometimes I get the impression you don’t believe we have ever read the NT.

You mentioned a transcription so I assumed one was available. There are many videos that do provide a transcript. If none was available I certainly didn’t expect you to type one out.

And not to be outdone, here is a cut and paste from Vine’s Expository Dictionary of the NT Words located here emphasis mine.

And don’t forget Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

1 Like

What I mean is that teaching falsehood and misinformation is a breach of trust, Kelli. If you are not getting your facts straight, you are teaching falsehood and misinformation. And undermining people’s ability to check whether you are getting your facts straight or not is even more of a breach of trust than ever.

Being born again of the Spirit of God is not a licence to behave however you like. Teaching falsehood and misinformation is still sin.

4 Likes

Even if it is in ignorance and unintentional.

Since @Shannon & @Kelli are such mature Christians, they should be able to recite Psalm 19:12 without having to look it up.

This is false witness

That Freudian slip tells me that you aren’t so confident in your positions yourself.

Also, what do those links have to do with this “evolutionary Gnosticism” you’re clutching pearls over? Does evolution say anything about re-attaining lost divinity or multiple emanations from the Monad? Last time I checked it was a theory of the development of life on Earth.

Good Lord, fella ! Isn’t there a rule governing the number of words in a sentence that oblige one to look each one up in a dictionary? If there isn’t, there should be. :wink:

1 Like

Comparisons of Different Translations

Romans 3:23

KJV “which is by faith of Jesus Christ

NKJ through faith in Jesus Christ

NAS “through faith in Jesus Christ

NIV comes through faith in Jesus Christ

RSV through faith in Jesus Christ

REIMS by faith of Jesus Christ

Amplified Bible “which comes by believing with personal trust and confident reliance on Jesus Christ

1 Like

It is not through “science” we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. It is by faith. Each verse with the word “faith” is not the word “science.” It does NOT say, By “science” Abel offered unto unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous. God testifying of his gift: and by it he being dead speaketh.
It is by the faith of Christ. Being under the persuasion of and by God.
Not against scientists by all means but these are all of those before us with examples of being under the persuasion of God. Maybe this helps or maybe not. Being under the persuasion of God is not having to know everything scientifically.

Hebrews 11:3

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Hebrews 11:4

By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Hebrews 11:5

By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 11:7

By Faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Hebrews 11:8

By Faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Hebrews 11:9

By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:

Hebrews 11:11

Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

Hebrews 11:17

By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Hebrews 11:20

By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.

Hebrews 11:21

By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.

Hebrews 11:22

By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.

Hebrews 11:23

By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king’s commandment.

Hebrews 11:24

By Faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter;

Hebrews 11:27

By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.

Hebrews 11:28

Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.

Hebrews 11:29

By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

Hebrews 11:30

By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days.

Hebrews 11:31

By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.

1 Like

Thanks Kelli, for clarifying for understanding of what is the faith of Christ

Faith is when we do not know or cannot prove. If there is proof then faith is not needed. If your faith flies against evidence., biblical or not, then there is a problem.
Richard

You are right about that!

It is through science that we now understand something of how the worlds were framed.

Kelli and Shannon, you both continue to make it painfully obvious that you have no (or very few) replies to any of the challenges others here have called to your attention from both God’s Word and works. We want to actually listen to and engage with what God has to say to us as we keep our eyes open to the testimonies of his word and his works. We don’t want to disrespectfully misuse and cheapen it by just bulk pasting it in as if there were some “righteousness” contest over who can post the most quotation.

I can understand and sympathize that you both want to just take refuge in affirming each other while ignoring what everybody else here is challenging you with. You are very brave indeed - even as a pair, much less individually - to hang out in what you probably consider very hostile territory. All I’m suggesting is that you’ll probably have more traction with people if you actually listen to what they are bringing forward to you from scriptures and actually engage with what is said. Otherwise, all you’re doing is further confirming the convictions of many here: that the camps who compete to be most seen “defending” God’s Word are the very ones afraid to actually take it seriously and delve into it. Many of us do really dig into it here. Not just use it for righteousness posturing [which is how it comes across anyway].

2 Likes

Mervin,
If what has been shared is not ministering to anyone then wipe out the thread. When you get a constant accusation of lying or being called a false witness it surely displays a person’s character. Response is not always needed when the attacks are personal.
What version or what translation should be used here?

We will remove anything that is just a personal attack (including my own reply above if you feel it is little more than that). But we don’t generally wipe out long threads that have already had substantial contribution. We aren’t trying to be authoritarian here. People do learn and get ministered to as discussion reveals various things. It just may not be the exact kind of ministry you (or I or anyone else) intended. The Spirit blows where it will.

[And for what its worth - I think your presence here does have a ministry to the whole. We should all be about helping others be even better believers than they already are - and ready to receive that ministry and challenge for ourselves too. Surely you can appreciate an exhortation toward mutuality here?]

2 Likes

Why is no one explaining what is biblical faith if not through using Scripture which seems to be very offensive on here?

Thanks for your comments Mervin.
We are only here for a short time. What matters most to us is what we spend our time on.
Going to step back from posting for now.

1 Like

Most here are Christians. And we take scripture seriously; very seriously. We would certainly utterly reject any suggestion that we find scripture offensive! On the contrary, we esteem it in the highest regard, perhaps second only to our regard for Christ himself.

It is precisely because we take seriously God’s truth in scripture that we endeavour to apply it to God’s truth in his creation, revealed by his gift to us of science.

It is because we take seriously God’s truth in scripture that we reject the interpretative distortions of it made by young earth creationism.

In short: our deep respect for scripture is the very cause of our rejection of young earth creationism.

2 Likes

Kelli,

You described genuine Christians as having another faith and then in not so subtle words, denigrated their faith as a compromised man/science version. Then call it not a personal attack or #justnotministeringthenforget

1 Like