Personal Freedoms/Choices & Public Health Measures

If grandma has underlying health conditions or is in her 70s or 80s, or both, then she should consider isolating from the people who have been in close contact to many others.

Keeping everyone away because grandma might be there sounds like a less than optimal choice.

This is a small example of the bigger problem of shutting down all of society instead of focusing on the vulnerable population.

I guess you refuse to get it. It is more dangerous for a careful grandma the less social distancing others are doing and the less mask wearing people are doing.

If you care about the economy and peopleā€™s lives, you should be a strong proponent of requiring masks everywhere except when with your household.

1 Like

If the grandma isolates herself, then she should be safe.

I donā€™t know why you donā€™t see that.

I care about the economy, peopleā€™s lives, and peopleā€™s freedom. All three are important, not just the first two.

I literally justed shared again clear evidence that you seem to ignore, the majority of new cases in NYC from one time period were from people staying at home. How can that be unless even when you stay at home you are never truly isolated from other people?

Why is it so hard for you to accept that we could help restart the economy sooner if we all wore face masks?

2 Likes

Yes Phil this really isnā€™t that difficult that the goal is to prevent severe symptoms. As much as 80% of people can be asymptiomatic. Those that are suscepible to the virus have particular health profiles that happen to fall under the same profiles that are known to have deficits in their vitamin d. The reports are showing that vitamin d supplementation May be of only about 10-16% reduction of severe symptoms though small still beneficial. In addition we have to consider that this same population that has these metabolic and vascular diseases also directly benefit from vitamin d supplementation for these diseases further helping this at risk population. It is known that vitamin d supplementation requires a routine supplementation rather than bulk dosing and people should be encouraged to begin a regimen now to improve their underlying health before the onset of the fall flu season.

My concern with the cnn article is that it leads off essentially discourages people particularly those that could best benefit from vitamin d supplemtation to avoid vitamin d as it potential toxic effects rather than actually suggesting its use and beneficial dosing. There is more coming out about these risk factors and suggesting that there are things that people particularly the high risk can do to prevent a severe reaction to this virus as well improve their general health.

This is exactly my point as the article discourages people that are the most at risk from taking vitamin d that has been shown to be of benefit to their conditions. Granted there are many ignorant people out there beaglelady but that is why the article and our health leaders (not Dr trump) should be coming out with a recommended dosing for people to take.

Huh. Imagine that children that get Kawasaki disease are vitamin d deficient.

I said grandma should isolate, not stay at home.

Do you understand the difference?

Staying at home while others come to visit is not what I suggested.

Let grandma stay at home and visitors only come to the sidewalk outside. Let her groceries and packages stay outside for a day or two before she brings them in. If she is the one at risk, she is the one who should change her plans.

If the virus canā€™t get to her, she is safe from it.

I accept that.

I also accept that increased government control over our lives is not a good thing. Or do you think it is?

I also see the tradeoffs among the three concerns that I listed.

If her perishables spoil, if animals get into her food, if thieves steal everything, so what? Root, hog, or die!!! (I guess Grandma could get a gun.)

These arenā€™t difficult things to avoid, but you know that.

Do you think we should remove all laws from the books? Do you think we shouldnā€™t pass new laws, even if they are good ones?

For me, a good law is a good thing.

3 Likes

Where is the circle for ā€œpeople concerned about the well being of othersā€ ?

1 Like

I think it is especially dangerous to leave the survival of mankind in the hands of the stupidest, most ignorant, and most irresponsible members of the species. Better to take those people out and shoot them, thereby ridding the rest of us of the burden of supporting their sorry excuse for existence. They are no different whatsoever from a cancer which the body and mind has every right to exterminate in order to preserve the well being of the rest of the body.

ā€œYou cannot imprison an entire population.ā€

Correct. If enough people do not support measures taken to protect people then it is better to say goodbye to the whole species and good riddance. Perhaps another species will one day evolve with a more sane and rational attitude.

Is there any need for any of this with COVID 19? No. But it certainly might be with a more dangerous pathogen.

I would be all for more government control over people who recklessly endanger others

1 Like

Brilliant! I recommend all the health care workers to self isolate until all the morons are dead and no longer a danger to the rest of the population.

But the truth is that these selfish bags of waste will demand their freedoms until they get sick and then suddenly they will insist that it is their right to medical care because of course the medical workers donā€™t have the same rights as they do.

The answer to your two questions is no.

As for your second paragraph, I hope you realize that people can disagree on which laws are ā€œgood.ā€

In the top circle. Actually in all three circles.

Does it have to be in your preferred words for you to acknowledge it?

If health care workers choose not to help people, I do want them to have the freedom to quit their jobs.

Donā€™t you?

I know that their quitting might endanger others, and @MarkD seems to want the government to exert more control over those quitters (based on his recent post). But I donā€™t agree. I prefer to allow people freedom.