Personal Freedoms/Choices & Public Health Measures

We call them “mouth hats” to make it less confusing for my young kids.

6 Likes

Maybe someone can help me out finding some information either on the cdc or the WHO websites?

Studies are showing a clear indication that vitamin d deficiency is related to poorer outcomes in Covid patients. This is a big risk factor and we should be recommending that people take vitamin d supplements particularly if they are unable to get out in the Sun. Could someone show me where this is referenced and vit d supplemention is recommended on the CDC and WHO websites?

Doubles as a burqa!

1 Like

Your position is very unclear to me, Vance, but I am willing to keep trying to understand it.

The terminology you have used for a particular government mandate that reduces choice and imposes inconvenience (mask wearing) is “a step toward slavery.”

Other examples of government mandates that reduce choice and impose inconvenience are speed limits, drunk driving laws, seatbelt laws, emoluments, wartime curfews, and curfews during hurricanes.

According to the terminology you are using in this forum, these are all “steps toward slavery.” Each and every one.

You seem to indicate that you support these restrictions (speed limits, drunk driving laws, etc.) So I am curious: On what basis are you willing to accept these “steps toward slavery”? What is the justification for these “steps toward slavery”?

Or do you actually reject speed limits, drunk driving laws, laws against cocaine trafficking/emoluments/insider trading?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Falter

2 Likes

Please cite these studies. Thanks.

4 Likes

I’ll say a prayer for your decision. I’m not sure what I would do. Many in my church are similar, but one of the elders is a family physician with a very level head.

One point may be that it’s possible by your staying there, interacting in a loving way, you will counteract their fear. It’s out of fear that they act that way, anyway. It’s definitely harder to stay, and I wouldn’t if you think you or your family are in danger of getting dangerous ideas, or being exposed to Covid unnecessarily by dangerous actions, however,

2 Likes

Not likely. I think Bill Gates has paid off these organization to lie to you to kill people so he makes billions of dollars via never actually specified means. I had a facebook poster that told me that this graphic is “based on hours of research”:

5 Likes

And if you convert all the letters in his name to Hebrew characters (via a Latin transliteration) the gammatria value adds up to 666.

Conincidence? I think not! :wink:

5 Likes

Scott, I just googled to,see what was out there, and what I found suggests that the failure to differentiate between correlation and causation is a big issue, as well as interpreting what studies are actually saying. The other question that arises is in judging whether a study is good, bad, or indifferent.
For example, one study sited that 11 patients with low levels of vit D required ICU care vs 4 with normal limits. The immediate problems you might see with the study is first, the small number cited, with chance playing a big role in the results. Second, the lack of matching other risk factors and co-morbid conditions. Along with that, older patients with poor nutrition and little outdoor activity associated with vitamin D production might be over-represented in the low vit D group.

4 Likes

Randy. We can start here but there are many studies linking Vitamin d status and ARDS outcomes. It pretty clear that this disease is mainly effecting elderly populations and others particularly metabolic disease disorder vascular disease and those with high BMI which makes sense due to the targeting of the Ace 2 receptor. It is very interesting that the vast majority of healthy people are not effected by this virus at all. There must be a particular set of conditions that allow the great majority of people to resist this virus while making a small minority extremely susceptible to it. It is also interesting that we are in general less susceptible to viruses such as the flu during sunny warm summer months. It seems to me that everyone but particularly those at risk should be supplementing with vitamin d. I am not suggesting that vitamin d is a cure but it is very likely to be beneficial to the highest risk.

So where is the recommendation?

1 Like

Thanks. I have seen suggestions of this, but have not read of any official ones in Up to Date (a resource for healthcare) either. I’ll read it and get back to you. Have you inquired with CDC or NIH or WHO yet? I think there are some FAQs.

Here is a WHO discussion of Vit D supplementation for prevention of respiratory infections, especially in third world countries (note the WHO is very active in poor countries, making it doubly important to continue their funding, and not politicize it on one issue, in my opinion)
https://www.who.int/elena/titles/commentary/vitamind_pneumonia_children/en/
My suspicion is WHO is very leery of making recommendations that have no research specifically in Covid, but I’m not sure. If you see something more, I’d appreciate it.

Addendum: so far, all I have found is very small, observational studies (not blinded or prospective). I will need to look more, but I think that may be why there is no official guideline.

The WHO article also observed, even regarding the more general review, “It is important to note that most reviews reported significant heterogeneity, which may make the generalizability of the results difficult. This heterogeneity may be due to several reasons, including some publication bias, but also methodological issues, such as low numbers of trials, vitamin D supplementation regime used and heterogeneity of the participants’ characteristics.”
It reminds me of the widely disparate results in Vit A regarding lung disease. It’s so hard to quantify and predict.

It is certainly something that runs low the northern latitudes anyway—so it will be something to watch.

Thank you for your service.

2 Likes

Part of the confusion is because people are neglecting the “weightier matters of the law” (to borrow a New Testament phrase).

People are focusing on a minor things, masks, and completely ignoring the shelter-in-place house arrest and the forced unemployment of people who want to work.

These things were put in place to slow the spread of Covid-19 to a level below the healthcare systems capabilities. That was reasonable and successful. It was called “flatten the curve.” And the curve was flattened.

Then the rationale changed. And people are now told their jobs aren’t “essential,” so they aren’t allowed to earn a living. They are put on the government payments, when many would rather work.

Things got so unreasonable that Rhode Island police were stopping New York cars just based on their license tags.

So, Chris, don’t join the chorus who just want to talk about masks, because masks are “easy,” look at the loss of freedom and look at the bait and switch from “flatten the curve” to “lock down until there is vaccine no matter how much economic destruction that causes.”

No, I do not reject these things.

I reject forcing well people into house arrest, poverty, and reliance on the government dole.

That is very kind of you. It’s strange, though; clinic based physicians are not as at risk (yet; hopefully a surge does not come). It’s the hospital workers, from cleaners to ICU nurses and docs, who get more exposure. My sister is a nurse who regularly cares for them. Cleaners are paid little, recognized less, and exposed more than I am currently:

Thanks for your discussion. I do have family members who agree with you. I assure you though, I am endeavoring to discuss things seriously and respectfully.

I honestly don’t think this issue is about freedom. It’s about the science. There are valid arguments that restrictions will be too dangerous in some cases. We can disagree and discuss what the best balance is between economics and healthcare, though. I think we will only really know in retrospect. I don’t think anyone, on either side, has any bad intent. Another family member of mine attended a rally against Whitmer last week.

Thank you.

1 Like

That would be wonderful, but I don’t think one must be cynical to think that some see a crisis as an opportunity (especially in an election year).

My niece is an emergency room physician in South Florida and has also been involved in drive up testing. I have a picture of her with a swab up the nose of a driver.

Certainly a large part of this discussion is science, but the “dismal science” (economics) has a large role. And, as your relative likely knows, government responses such as those freedoms lost in Michigan (you can’t go to your lake cabin to isolate; you can’t use a motor boat on a lake) are inexplicable.

I am watching BBC now at home, and the South African response to Covid-19 is being discussed. The government chose to respond, in part, by banning sales of cigarettes and alcohol. Strange, isn’t it?

Yes, a “brain biopsy,” so to speak, as I call those types of respiratory pathogen exams! It’s not much fun.

Yes, that’s absolutely true. I think that it has to do with arguments from science though on either side. That is why I don’t think freedom is an ingredient. It is looking out for the least of these from both sides-not about why I feel restricted. My family member who protested Whitmer is (I think) worried about those who lose income (not freedom of herself). Whitmer and Fauci, CDC and WHO are afraid of the 1.8 million who may die if we are not responsible with our vectors. We are all surgeons, so to speak, in the experimental operating room of Covid.

You will be able to as of May 31 in the upper 2/3 of the state (from my understanding; I haven’t read the updated statement yet). If you think of it, Whitmer has nothing to gain, and everything to lose, to popularity here. I did not vote for her, but do think that good intent is most reasonable here. Traveling long distances increases risk. BBC has a good article on the reason for banning alcohol and cigarettes. South Africa coronavirus lockdown: Is the alcohol ban working? Both raise the risk of Covid complications, but there are other reasons. Maybe you can post the summary when you’re finished.

Thanks.

Here is a summary of some studies on COVID. Looks pretty inconclusive, so that is probably why you aren’t seeing government agencies pushing it.

2 Likes

Good article! Forbes has been publishing some very good ones!
Thanks.

Hi Randy and Christy. Thank you. Well Forbes? Thats not a medical journal? better to go to the medcal journals than look at the general media for medical information. There is a great deal of misinformation in the media.

The Tilda study and a number of other studies show risk for the vitamin d deficiency in ARDS and other viral respiratory conditions. I am not saying at all that this time is a cure but that it is likely a factor that increases risk. There is no risk for taking vitamin d and most people up in the high risk categories metabolic disease vascular disease and high BMI would benefit from taking the vitamin d regardless of Covid. It’s pretty clear that this virus is specifically attacking these unhealthy populations likely due to the Ace 2 ras involvement and leaving the great majority of healthy individuals unaffected. If vitamin d supplementation is beneficial to Covid all the better but It will then also save lives by protecting from its other known benefits against vascular cardio and metabolic diseases. If we look at the demographics of the severly effected populations vs those not effected there seems to be a growing body of evidence linking susceptibility to the general health which vitamin d is just one of the factors. I find it hard to believe that our health authorities as well as the WHO are not recommending vitamin d supplementation particularly for the high risk population. There is no downside, highly availabiliy ,no risk low cost and the upside is good. Compare that to the very limited benefit of remdisivir reduced stay, no improvement in mortality, high cost limited availability and unknown side effects.

I think that the goal here is to save lives from covid and all disease correct?

This is why people question our medical authorities as they seem to be controlled by big pharma and have their own agenda.

Randy as a physician do you prescribe vitamin d to your patients now?