Our Universe on Netflix

I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed this 6 episode series. It is absolute eye-candy in 4k and and ear candy since the GOAT of all iconic voices, Morgan Freeman, narrates it. What strikes me is how different it is from normal shows. Either you watch something on astronomy/cosmlogy like The Universe or you watch a nature video like Planet Earth. This combines them into one and shows how the history of the universe, gravity, the big bang and so on shape life. It also at several moments mentions some of the pure chance occurrences that happen to shape life as we know it today on earth.

It really struck a cord with me about the awesomeness of God and the care and providence of our creator in making such a universe. The whole six episode arc was Psalm 19:1-4 in action for me the entire duration. It made me appreciate God and creation more.

I just did a unit on gravity in physics and showed the final episode (43 minutes) which featured gravity as a theme. In our unit on cosmology I will probably show the first episode which was called chasing starlight. I rarely ever show a movie but I feel it is that well done.

Psalm 19:1
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

Anyone else watch this?

5 Likes

Sounds good, I’ll have to look to it;

Off topic comments moved to private message as not relevant to posted topic,

I did watch the first episode of Our Universe last night, and thought it was well done. I look forward to being able to see the rest. I thought the story line of the cheetah hunting for energy sources (meat) that had their origin in the Big Bang was interesting.

3 Likes

I don’t have Netflix, Vinnie. Where we live, Internet is quite dodgy.
What were some highlights or points that really struck you?
(Besides Morgan Freeman’s magnificent voice, of course.)

Just watched the first one. I caught a few places where a better science editor could have improved things, but overall it was a creative way of looking at the sun to earth to life link.

2 Likes

Watching the second one now. I’m not impressed by the sketchy reference to black holes shrinking – they could have mentioned why!

1 Like

I just liked how it wasn’t a wildlife video and it wasn’t a universe video. They combined the two. Combined with a narrator that has one of the most iconic voices ever and some amazing eye candy…. It was just different for me.

It’s meant for a wide audience. Discussing the inner details of Hawking radiation probably isn’t on that menu. It’s not perfect and occasionally the connections seem tenuous but I thought they tried to get the idea of nucleosynthesis and the idea that we are truly stardust and adapted to our environment really well. It’s probably a misconception people have that some of the laws of physics are «out there.” This show the big picture of how some of them influence life.

For some reason the show is a little polarizing. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

1 Like

They could have just said that black holes, in their own way, shine, and the way they shine makes them shrink.