On the existence of God

That appears to be a change. Heretofore, you have denied God’s power and ability to intervene providentially. Statistical significance rather depends on the population size, doesn’t it. For the individual involved, it’s 100%. Think Maggie.

Agreed. It doesn’t make sense. The laws of physics are prevenient as I keep saying. They are instantiated, not created, from eternity.

You have the right idea. Population in statistics refers to events in general not people. So in this case we are referring to the incidents where God intervenes. They are at least small or rare enough that they are miraculous interventions rather than just a law of nature.

In saying you had the right idea, I was thinking that obviously a population of 1 rules out the possibility of statistical significance. But that is not quite what you said. I thought it pretty well known that in order for statistics to have any significance the population must be high.

How can someone be bound to the laws of morality if they have free will?

By choice. We choose to uphold a moral law for a variety of reasons and I think God has good reason to uphold the laws of nature which He created since I think He had important reasons for creating them. See while you may think God has a magic wand to wave at anything so that it will spring to life like in the sorcerer’s apprentice, I am certain there is no such magic and life is a self-organizing process that requires the laws of nature in order to exist.

Well since you request guidance on this matter, I shall provide. You shouldn’t own any slaves and you should not beat your wife.

In any case, the point was that in the past this was different. But thankfully we now require a higher standard of morality. And this is one of the many many many reasons why morality should not be fixed. The world changes. Circumstances change. We encounter question of morality that would never even have occurred to people a thousand years ago. That is why we need more than a set of rules. We need reasons and principles to guide our choices in such a manner. This is one of the ways in which Jesus did better in Matthew 22:36-40.

Yes, if the laws of nature could change willy-nilly as YECs imagine (the speed of light, radionuclide decay rates, gravity, friction… – the latter necessary for ‘flood geology’), then nothing would be dependable and we could not even recognize miracles. (They more than seem to be miraculous, they are. :slightly_smiling_face:)

This is what the LORD says: If I have not established my covenant with the day and the night and the fixed laws of heaven and earth… - Jeremiah 33:25

It does also refer to people, as in opinion polls and election exit polls.

God is incapable of creating any other kind of physics or atomic chemistry?

No. Like time, gravity, and all the rest, physical laws were created for a physical universe. There is no need or use for them outside space, matter and time.

Now you’re changing the whole premise that has been discussed here. Can God be bound to anything? No. Actually, yes. He can bind himself to his word. The problem with many on this board is that they don’t believe his words as spoken, which kind of destroys their credibility when it comes to anything spiritual. If God lied (or misled us) about the small stuff, we can’t trust him with anything.

So the lawyers would like to believe, so they can tie God up in a package they can rule and control. Problem is that these are ALL human words of human languages that people constantly change the meaning of and constantly twist to their own ends. Yes God speaks to people but no I don’t think it is ever to offer any contracts by which the lawyers can hold Him. The liars are the scribes and Pharisees (whatever they may call themselves) thinking they can lord it over people by speaking for God. So… God binding Himself to human words? I DON’T THINK SO!

You had better hope so. How much do you know about the covenant God made with Abraham in Genesis 15? Abraham, like every other man was not able to keep covenant with God. God is the guarantor of all covenants with man, because he alone can never break them.

I have every confidence in the integrity and faithfulness of God. I certainly believe that He will follow through on His intent. But I have no confidence in the words of human languages, nor in the lawyers, or scribes, or religion mongers who use religion to lord it over others. The story told by the Bible gives no reason to have any confidence of that sort. They have always sold the same dubious product, give us your gold and we will control the gods for you. The biggest scam on earth.

I know what the Bible says. But I haven’t the least bit of interest in what people are selling it as. I also know what people were selling in the time of Jeremiah, and he warned them that the entitlement they had manufactured from scriptures at that time was also misguided. I suggest you attend to that lesson.

1 Like

No. There has always been the physical; space, matter and time and the prevenient, deterministic, fixed, minimal, logical, convergent laws of nature that delimit them by God’s humble instantiation.

Then you should read it over again. Your salvation is up to you and God. Not a pastor, not a denomination and not anyone online.

And you have no clue where I was going, even though I stated it plainly. Good. We are incapable of being good enough for covenants with God, much less to stand in righteousness on our own. God must do for us. He is salvation (yeshua) because he is the only one who can save us.

There is no reason to suppose that the 6 to 25 (2 constants, 15 masses, 8 parameters) dimensionless numbers, or 50 odd dimensioned ones including c, G, h and alpha, which embodies many including c & h, are not deterministic, are random. It is reasonable to assume that nature self tunes. There is no need to invoke teleology at all. There is reason to invoke faith of course.

If I were 1000 ft tall in another universe that God created, our universe’s g would be distinctly uncomfortable and/or my legs would have to be unbecomingly thick. :grin:

What value of G would accommodate Mt. Dale and what would its effects be on nature? How would you move? What are the energetics? What would happen if you fell? What would you be breathing? Eating?

How frequently does God create universes?

…would be different. It would also depend on the size of the planet, presuming there even were planets.

On that much we certainly agree.

On the other hand, Jesus said, “You must be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect.” There is no room whatsoever for sin in the kingdom of God. Salvation is not about giving us a pass, but about being changed to conform to the image of His Son – and thus without the self-destructive habits of sin.

1 Like

That is a problem I have with many Christians, that believe that salvation is one time and the end of the matter. Paul told us that it is a race we run, and doesn’t end until we die victorious.

1 Like

Why would nature be different? How? So, you could evolve to be a thousand feet ‘tall’ on no planet? Riiiiight. Like Integral Trees? Uh huh. In the infinite worlds from eternity, G is G and c is c and h is h and alpha is alpha one way or another.