On the existence of God

Just like the second aborigine:

I fail to see the relevance of that analogy no matter how many times you refer to it. Who is the first aborigine? What is the smartphone analogue?

God has never been the God you believe in before He created anything. Aye, our aim is human: shoot everything except the target.

The video you posted arguing ten dimensions to be maximal is interesting but mathematically flawed. I think it is confusing dimensionality with higher orders of infinity at some point. It can be demonstrated that adding on dimensions will not give you a higher order of infinity which would be required to extend the scope to cover all possible universes. Adding a single dimension amounts to adding a single parameter – adding a single degree of freedom, and imaging that you can get all possible universes with a single additional parameter is absurd. It is dubious that even the addition of a large but finite number of parameters can give you all possible universes.

Frankly I think this is an ad-hoc attempt to go from the ten dimensions posited by string theory to a multiverse of all possible universes and thus to an anthropic principle favorable to an atheist hope that science suggests this rather than creation by God. Science provides no such thing. Science has not found any evidence whatsoever of a multiverse. The only evidence science has found is that the steady state universe is wrong and the only measurable universe came into existence 13.8 billion years ago.

1 Like

Welcome @sky, and a good question. I am agnostic and can’t add too much to what has already been said. BUT, I can summarize my view of fine-tuning very simply:

If things were different in the past, then things would be different now.

Fine tuning presumes that the world as we see it now is somehow privileged, that the question “Why are we here?” can only occur in our observed reality. BUT there could be infinitely many different histories that are equally privileged. The only privilege that matters is the ability to ask this question: “Why are we here?”

I like to think that somewhere in the multiverse, there are other strange creatures asking these same questions, and wondering if they are unique. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I should have tweaked it for this application, I realized in retrospect, so that your rationality could have correctly deduced its relevance here.

Here it simply means that the second aborigine’s presumptions and rationality are incorrectly based on limited horizons.

Did you really not understand it where it was posted originally?

I’m good with that. (Hey, Dan @EastwoodDC – long time no see. But I haven’t been anywhere else, either.)

1 Like

We have all the evidence we’ll ever have and ever need to know with absolute certainty that the infinite, eternal multiverse exists. The fact that science doesn’t, can’t ‘know’, can’t measure it, is utterly irrelevant.

I understand its utter failure as an analogy just fine.

That you say that is not unexpected.

Somebody has to.

Does anyone else not get it?

That your analogy fails from its premiss on?

It doesn’t matter how often you say that. Proof by assertion remains a logical fallacy.

1 Like

The assertion is by reality, how it works. ‘Proof’ is irrelevant. Key concepts: uniformitarianism and Kolmogorov complexity.

…it doesn’t make it true, because you have not connected your assertion to reality except by your aboriginal presumption.

It’s not my assertion. It’s reality’s. Again, the key concepts are uniformitarianism and Kolmogorov complexity.

I’m not either of your aborigines. Which one are you? Apart from neither.

There’s a little problem with that. What you know as nature and what you know of nature began at the big bang. Your projections otherwise are irrelevant.

(At least you appear to not have objected and to have understood what I meant by aboriginal. :slightly_smiling_face: …except until you added your edit. :grin:)

(Off topic, but if anyone is interested, nasa.gov is live with the Perseverance landing.)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s been less than 13.8 billions years since we last chatted! :wink:

1 Like