On the Aramaic and Arabic Words for God

A very short, informative video by biblical scholar Dan McClennan on Aramaic and Arabic words for God. And a good discussion on Semitic languages in general.

On the Aramaic and Arabic Words for God

2 Likes

Thanks.
BTW I did not know of the Semitic nature of Amharic. Cool! (Hausa, where I grew up, was about 1/4 influenced by Arabic, and Christians used “Allah” for God, too).

1 Like

Another interesting point: By the time of Jesus, Hebrew was strictly a liturgical language; nobody spoke it. But with the establishment of the modern state of Israel, they decided that Hebrew should be the national language. And so they raised Hebrew from the dead and taught it to all the refugees pouring in!

2 Likes

yes, that’s a really interesting case–I don’t know that that has ever happened anywhere else.

No it hasn’t. And I don’t think a people who were stateless for so long regained a state.

1 Like

McClennan has put out a correction video. It seems that the Arabic language goes back several centuries earlier than what he said previously.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.