New YEC question about the Flood: “Why are there no worldwide disconformities in the rock layers?”

Thanks for the answers about sedimentary rock.

A YEC reading Phil McCurdy’s response shot back with the above question.

First question in response would be to define what is meant by “worldwide disconformities.” Disconformities are certainly found around the world. The first one documented was found in 1669. Would that count?

2 Likes

Can you cite where, please? I don’t know what you are referring to.

2 Likes

Neither do I, but my response would be “why would you expect to see any?”

4 Likes

Note that the purported continental extent of the late Proterozoic Great Unconformity is invoked by young-earthers as supposedly pointing to the Flood. Of course, the reality is that the billion year time gap seen in parts of the Grand Canyon has layers preserved in between in other parts of the Canyon, not to mention in other parts of the world. While it is true that the supercontinent of Rodinia, being land, generally shows erosion, the amount of erosion and occurrence of places that were lowlands getting sediment piled up is variable across the globe.

The global flood as imagined by modern young-earth claims would melt the earth and is not a good match for the actual Hebrew narrative in Genesis. Even a much more credible version of a global flood ought to produce distinctive, worldwide layers that we do not see. Old-earth reality means that there are different things happening in different parts of the world at different times, and the variety of layers reflects that. Certain times have widespread disconformities (e.g., early Oligocene in the deep ocean with the change in ocean circulation patterns), but nothing worldwide of the sort that a flood geology-type flood ought to produce.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.