New Science Textbook Celebrates Ancient Age of Earth from Christian Perspective

There is a desperate need for textbooks that combine mainstream science with a Christian worldview, and a new option has recently been published.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/chris-stump-equipping-educators/new-science-textbook-celebrates-ancient-age-of-earth-from-christian-perspective

I am convinced that materials that teach “if the Earth is millions of years old, then the Bible isn’t true” are directly responsible for the exodus of many… young people from the church.

Matthew 18:6: If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

YEC is doing so much damage to the faith of our youth. Jesus’ warning is clear – let’s all heed His words. Thank you for your new textbook. May God continue to bless your work.

3 Likes

Thank you Kevin and Chris for this edifying interview. I’ll be a bit provocative and ask: why conflate how to use coal with where did coal come from? Each question is enormously complex and deserves separate treatment. And in reality, coal-usage is the more complex of the two topics requiring knowledge of economics, global warming, 3rd world development, energy etc. The godly way to use coal in the 21st century is not something that connects to a biblical first principle–like God’s overall creative actions.

Philosophy, moral reasoning, and theology were thrown out of the natural sciences in 17th century Britain. The reason was not that the two are enemies or incompatible but because–how to say it–people were often unwise in pursuing both. For example, mountains are not the result of original sin and Flood geology. That’s the wrong way to read Isaiah. Mountain study (Orography?) should not include such considerations. Obvious we cry–while we make our own similar mistakes.

I prefer rigorous hard science education for my kids coupled with serious Bible study and discipleship. With these two foundations in place, we will explore those moral and social issues.

Thanks to Novare for publishing this new text!! And thanks to Chris and Biologos for being a support and advocate of homeschooling families who hold to an EC view. It is rather discouraging and isolating going to homeschool bookstores/websites where the only option for teaching science from a Christian worldview is also strongly anti-evolution. Homeschooling is difficult at best and having science curriculum options that don’t have to be reworked either scientifically of theologically is a huge help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.