New Personal Story: Kyle Meyaard-Schaap

Kyle tells the story of how his brother’s study abroad program opened his eyes to seeing the call to serve creation in a new light and set him on a new path.

READ: Connecting the Dots: Christian Childhood to Climate Action - Personal Story - BioLogos

Has someone ever dramatically changed your mind by their new behaviors? How can we best serve each other?

1 Like

Enjoyed the story, and inspired by the enthusiasm for creation care as an outpouring of the Christian life as evidenced by this quote:
“These were young Christians who bore remarkably similar stories of pain, rejection, and isolation from their faith communities because of their climate advocacy yet who still longed to make a difference for God’s world precisely because of their Christian faith, not in spite of it.”

Coming from the older age range, I admit that at times I and my cohort wonder if by concentrating on creation, the need to know the creator is left behind. How do we balance the two to avoid losing either group?

2 Likes

This is exciting, Kyle! Thanks for sharing this with us.

And if I may be so presumptuous to speculate (based on what you shared) … you seem to me a living example of a “convert” gaining “many times more” in terms of new communities, new brothers and sisters, etc. Don’t get me wrong - you made it clear it was your own brother that brought you to see these new possibilities - and I’m not really suggesting we revel in separations between familial and parental ties. But Christ’s observation about people pursuing new commitments can, I think, be meant as an encouragement to folks who do experience loss of relationship.

I had never heard of YECA, but now that I have, may its tribe influence increase!

2 Likes

These were young Christians who bore remarkably similar stories of pain, rejection, and isolation from their faith communities because of their climate advocacy yet who still longed to make a difference for God’s world precisely because of their Christian faith, not in spite of it.

Of all the stupid things to be ostracized for! I’m hoping this rising generation of Christian leaders does better for us.

Yes, but not surprising given the divisions and social signaling in our society. I mean, ostracism should properly be reserved for important stuff like age of earth views!

2 Likes