New Article: Why I'm Reforming My Views on Evolution

It’s Reformation Day!

Thanks to @LM77, who shares his recent journey from a young earth to evolutionary creation view, and his unique reflections as a Christ follower in the Reformed tradition.

READ: Why I’m Reforming My Views on Evolution - Personal Story - BioLogos

4 Likes

Hillary,

I get a blank page when I click on the link from my Android.

Best,
Chris

2 Likes

Oh no! I see that. Let me look into it!

1 Like

It’s a blank page on my laptop, also. I’m using Chrome.
I tried to view the source html, but it seems to be the standard BioLogos Forum, but doesn’t seem to contain the “why I’m reforming my views on evolution” article. All it has is a class inside a script:

1 Like

Yes, thank you, it’s on the website’s end. I’m having our web design folks look into it.

Clearly my views are so heretical they’ve broken the internet! :scream:

11 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hopefully not!! :rofl:

1 Like

Okay all, it’s fixed!!

2 Likes

Nice article, Liam. @LM77
(I make banners for holidays, so this is the Reformation Day one hanging in the dining room right now. :slight_smile: Happy Reformation Day!)

5 Likes

Yes; thanks for sharing your story with us, Liam.

“Wittenberg moments” indeed! What you said about dethroning the pope and enthroning scriptures instead sparked an obvious next question for me. Are our arguments about the place of and labels applied to scriptures in another thread our attempt to “dethrone scriptures” so that we can recognize Christ on the throne? Those arguments can stay in that thread as I don’t mean to derail this one into more of that. But I think the manner in which you acknowledge “slippery slope” fears is good. I essentially take away from this that our “Wittenberg moments” can appear to us to have all the dangers of a slippery slope, and yet that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have them!

1 Like

Very engaging article, Liam. Think I’ll nail it on the refrigerator door.:innocent:
I enjoyed your thoughts on how you integrated it all with reformed theology.

6 Likes

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I’d especially like to thank @Kathryn_Applegate for the opportunity and for artfully wielding the editor’s pen. Also, a big thanks to @HRankin for all the formatting and cool images.

3 Likes

Haha! If you do please send me a photo!

1 Like

I got an intern & she chose the images! (bless her heart, she’s Catholic, and this article is the first thing I assigned to her. :rofl::woman_facepalming:t2: #bossfail)

5 Likes

“My attitude towards those who disagreed with me stank. I was arrogant and self-assured. Neither was I afraid to use mockery and sarcasm to win an argument.”

Ouch, glad I’m getting to make your acquaintance now! But it is a good reminder that there might just be a good nugget beneath the surface of every blustery, condescending missionary one encounters.

3 Likes

Thanks Mervin. This is a good, and very astute, question. Certainly, many people for an range of reasons would say, yes. Though I think the Reformers might critique the questions underlying premise. Like you, I’m hesitant to say more. However, I’d be happy to PM you a few thoughts if you are interested?

Absolutely!

1 Like

Great story, Liam – thanks for sharing. :slight_smile: I can identify with your initial excitement about YEC, and how appealing the zeal of AiG leaders and other personalities can be. And I like how you describe how becoming interested in God’s creation is what helped drive you toward embracing more of science. It can be freeing to engage with the evidence on its own terms, rather than approaching it as some kind of culture war that you must win at all costs.

2 Likes

I’m always interested.

So true. We took the boys to a huge aquarium recently. It was so nice to enjoy learning about and seeing all the animals without having to stop every five minutes to explain why all the information displays are incorrect. Our shared wonder was itself an act of worship.

6 Likes

I love that. I’ve enjoyed similar experiences with my kids, and look forward to more – and really, I think that’s part of my job as a parent, to teach them to bring their faith to any place where they interact with God’s creation. It doesn’t have to mean starting or winning an argument.

3 Likes