New Article: Deb's Favorite Astronomy Images

Happy Thursday!

Today’s new article is from Deb, where she tells us about her favorite recent astronomy images. Do you have a favorite?

(there is a cool video also, so be sure to check it out!)

READ: My 6 favorite recent astronomy images - Article - BioLogos

I think my favorite is the galaxy cluster, but all are amazing. It is amazing to me that the light from the galaxy cluster left heading our way about the time give a half billion years or so that Earth and the solar system were forming.

1 Like

So very cool!!! It’s wild to think about how far way all of those things are from us!

The galaxy cluster is what blows my mind. The idea that each of those “blobs” is an immense galaxy on its own … wow! As Pascal said on contemplating the universe:

The whole visible world is only an imperceptible atom in the ample bosom of nature. No idea approaches it. We may enlarge our conceptions beyond all imaginable space; we only produce atoms in comparison with the reality of things. It is an infinite sphere, the centre of which is everywhere, the circumference nowhere. In short it is the greatest sensible mark of the almighty power of God, that imagination loses itself in that thought.

I find all of those images wonderful to look at. But I have to agree that the galaxy cluster takes the prize. I just came across this video on Facebook from about five years ago showing showing our local Supercluster of galaxies which is being called Laniakea. It isn’t brand new but new to me and blew my socks off.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.