Nature Of God(Problem Of Evil)

The universe is infinite hence the universal consciousness is also infinite. The universal consciousness is not bound by the underlying physical nature. It becomes sort of independent hence is supernatural

The universe is not infinite. It can continue to expand, but it will never be infinite. You need to take a refresher course or two. And it had a distinct beginning.

In science we do not know whether the universe is finite or infinite. I wonder if this bothers you because it makes too much of the universe - god-like even. It doesnā€™t bother me because I know there are higher orders of infinity, and even if the universe is infinite in a spatial sense that isnā€™t a high order of infinity and not comparable to God at all.

For exampleā€¦ some have argued that an infinite universe means you will find every variation of earth in the universe. But that argument is incorrect. A spatially infinite universe would not be big enough for that. An infinity of variations is a higher order of infinity.

1 Like

What makes you think Iā€™m bothered? Space did not exist ā€˜untilā€™ (a time-bound word) the big bang, and neither did time. Why is it not finite?

(Higher orders of infinity are just mathematical concepts, not physical reality.)

Your insistence that the universe is not infinite when we donā€™t know any such thing from scienceā€¦ So by ā€œbotheredā€ I mean you must have some theological reason for making such a claim which I donā€™t. Why are you making a fuss about this?

Why not infinite ā€“ spatially? Every General Relativity text I have read going through the big bang explanation always makes it clear that finitude is neither an assumption or conclusion of the theory. I could quote such a text for you.

The universe could be finiteā€¦ or it could be infiniteā€¦ we just donā€™t know that.

???
The point is that there is more than one kind of infinityā€¦ even mathematically.

Spatial infinity is not a higher order of infinityā€¦ and there is certainly no reason to think this is anything like an idea of infinity thought to describe God.

The infinite weight of black hole would not transform into finite size. We donā€™t know the present size hence cannot say it is finite. The idea that there was nothing before singularity is not tenable.

Because we cannot measure it.

If we cannot reach the border then it is infinite.

Sometimes a slap in the face is needed.

Hey, my life isnā€™t perfect and I have had my share of knocks and lows. You go through it, and, hopefully, out the other side. Faith or no faith, blaming God is pointless, and criticising Him is just pathetic.

Richard

Sometimes the irony we see in what others have said turns back upon ourselves to see the same irony there as well. ā€¦and the slap we administer becomes a slap on ourselves.

It sure seems that way to me and I tend to think along the same linesā€¦

ā€¦and yet I have reason to suspect that engaging God even in this way isnā€™t so fruitless.

I am not sure that God is actually being engaged here.

The main criticism seems to be an impossible ideology: life without evil and yet still life?

What price freedom?

We are left with the old ā€œwhat you donā€™t know you wonā€™t desireā€ excuse for battery hens.

Donā€™t eat the appleā€¦

Richard

As stated earlier, then what is heaven like? Will there be evil in heaven? Will there be disease and death? Will there be people murdering other people? Will we still be free in heaven?

I am not so sure you can avoid it.

criticism? I donā€™t see so much importance to evil. So yes, life without evil is still life. Evil only retains importance as long as it is a part of us, for then we must continue to fight against it. But there is plenty to life without it. Evil is simply destruction leading to the dead end of nothing. Without it there is only creation which is infinite in its possibilities.

The freedom to choose between good and evil is only the most droll of freedoms. The freedom to choose among the endless possibilities of goodness and beauty is where the real freedom is at.

Beyond our understanding.

And, as I have been discussing, not a physical reality so evil has no meaning.

Richard

So there could be evil, suffering, and death in heaven?

I donā€™t see how it matters if the reality is physical or spiritual if free will requires evil, suffering, and death.

That is nearly as idealistic as having no evil.
Sorry, but that is Hobsonā€™s choice in another form.

Richard

I certainly find the pretense of Unity churches that there is no such things as evil to be a little creepy in its denial of reality. But the other extreme of imagining a necessity to evil is even worse. So why does evil exist? If it is not necessary then why would God allow it? Because the freedom to choose between good and evil, however droll it may be, is one of the unavoidable consequences of the freedom of life. But it is only the possibility of evil which is a necessity, but we do not have to choose it. And thus evil itself is not a necessity at all.

Isnā€™t it fascinating that we have that thing in us? Tenacity. That feeling that moves you. Makes you work to get out of the gutter. Even though everything around you is deemed,even if you are an underdog.

Itā€™s unbelievable how the human will is able to survive. Like itā€™s hardwired to do anything in order to get out of a situation.

Awesome feeling that Iā€™ve felt many times.

Yet as you keep going it wores you down. You get tired. Life can bring you in your knees no matter how tenacious you are. Thatā€™s where God comes.

Some people feel him there in their desperate times. Some others pleed with him and donā€™t feel his presence.

Either way faith or no faith ass you stated you got to get up.

Iā€™ll be grateful if God actually has a "judgement " system based on suffering.

Like those who suffer will absolutely go to heaven no matter what. Theybe been trough enough .

1 Like

It ainā€™t me fussin, bro. (How many posts had I made before your accusation of my being ā€˜botheredā€™?)

Whatā€™s for sure that we do know is that it cannot have an infinite number of things in it.